Great British Rail

If it simplifies ticketing that will be great. In the old days you bought a ticket from A to B and could travel at any time on any route. Not really possible these multi-operator and rush hour days unless you pay over the odds for flexi-travel. Admittedly in those days it could be difficult to find a seat, and sitting in the corridor on your suit case was normal.

That was still possible 5 years ago. We spent a happy 70 minutes between Kings Cross and Peterborough in the carriage vestibule sat on our luggage with some young men drinking themselves into oblivion. Fortunately, they were friendly and polite. But still knocking back the beer. 

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 1

Of recent years, every attempt to simplify fares with multiple operators seems to have only increased the complexity and cost. 
The point @dBerriff makes on people out of the IT loop being financially penalised is very valid. In the North East lack of IT access is a real issue and I know there are many similarly challenged areas around UK. Although on train tickets it’s a moot point as those people can’t afford to travel anyway. 
Our railways are moving more people than at any other time in History despite the network being substantially smaller (miles of track) than at its height. 
The disappointing part about our railways is that what railways are really good at is still in decline, shifting freight. It’s dropped about 12% over past 20 years while road freight continues to rise year on year. Is freight planned on being back into public ownership? 

I can imagine trying to reign in all of the 'commercial agreements' wrt moving the substantial amounts of freight and materials could become a little bit difficult!

Trying to amalgamate the passenger workings alone into one operator will be difficult enough - each will probably have had their own IT and finance service providors .... etc.

Al.

Just read a news report that the plan is already back tracking on freight and now the idea is GBR will ‘support and promote freight operators’ so it’s looking like it’s already a partial return to public ownership. There are clues that stock will continue to be leased rather than owned, which is where the big profits always were and so unlikely fares will be much less if at all. 

Edited by Rallymatt

This article gives an overview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy63j4x66ylo

It states: "There is also no suggestion the rail freight companies will be nationalised...".

As for fares going down I would not be too surprised if they settled on some mean value; so down for some and up for users of apps like Trainline.

Edited by dBerriff

Sorry to be political, BUT, government run is never cheaper or more profitable or necessarily better.

Somebody has to pay the piper which is usually the taxpayer.

Edited by Aussie Fred
  • Like 1

What  I remember about traveling on British Rail was the filth. Much of this was probably down to people being allowed to smoke on trains back then, but it doesn't excuse the outside appearence of the trains. Not being able to see clearly out the window was my experience. 

Privatisation improved the railway no end and it is a shame it has failed but completely understandable given how expensive the infrastructure and operating model is.

• Like 1