Do Scalextric and Trains work in Canada

The mains voltage in Canada is 110-120V   that's half the standard UK mains voltage so you will need to buy different transformer / power packs.   

What power pack(s) are you using currently?

You can get 120V to 240V step-up transformers (Canadian plug input plug, UK output socket) which should work with something like a trains or scalextric system as the power draw isn't very high. 

Edited by ntpntpntp

Hello Gary

I live in the USA and happily plug my Gaugemaster controller (UK plug) into a step up transformer (110vac to 240vac).

I simply determined my current draw and purchased the next transformer up from there.  That is the only tricky bit, sizing the transformer.  

Bee

You may need a different power supply, but there is no geoengineering reason why the infastructure will not work in Canada. The motors and wheels and the like of it are all the same the world over. XYZ

Some while ago I found the US Scalex site had suitable power supplies hence why I said I had the full Scalex list from Micro to Analogue to Digital sets.

Now that HH has branched out into US it is worth looking at their local site and/or contacting them - details here https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016151399-Contact-Details-Hornby-USA

Most power supply or transformer comes with voltage range between 100v to 240v now a days for quite some time. I never check elite power supply but I know for fact most or all laptops charger have 100v to 240v, so you as long as you have correct adapter you can use your own power supplies all over the world. Have a look at all the power supple units or transformers you have, they should state the input range.

first picture is Gaugemaster combi controller and have voltage range of 100v - 240v

WhatsAppImage2024-07-21at15_27_51.thumb.jpeg.b0aeff97526e6f1f4cd87d79da28008b.jpeg

second picture is Hornby Elite power supply for which you will definitely need step up transformer

WhatsAppImage2024-07-21at15_27_52.thumb.jpeg.37c3316515c1baad4e76a2b2da877ff8.jpeg

7 hours ago, Deem said:

Most power supply or transformer comes with voltage range between 100v to 240v now a days for quite some time. I never check elite power supply but I know for fact most or all laptops charger have 100v to 240v, so you as long as you have correct adapter you can use your own power supplies all over the world. Have a look at all the power supple units or transformers you have, they should state the input range.

first picture is Gaugemaster combi controller and have voltage range of 100v - 240v

WhatsAppImage2024-07-21at15_27_51.thumb.jpeg.b0aeff97526e6f1f4cd87d79da28008b.jpeg

second picture is Hornby Elite power supply for which you will definitely need step up transformer

WhatsAppImage2024-07-21at15_27_52.thumb.jpeg.37c3316515c1baad4e76a2b2da877ff8.jpeg

I think you will find it is all to do with a change in design of power supply. In the old days they used fixed 240 volt to 12 volt supplies, or whatever the voltage that is required. Modern ones use "switched mode power supplies" when the input waveform is chopped and passed through a circuit to give the required voltage (not my field but my friend used to design them). Generally that is why they are smaller and if not designed properly catch fire or cause electric shocks, because you have lost that electrical isolation you get from a transformer.