Excess Catalogues/Magazines

A few have mentioned how they will be getting catalogues they don’t want and this is something I have thought about suggesting before. Donate them to the local doctors, out patient’s clinics etc for waiting room reading. The mental health benefits from the hobby are well established and if a magazine inspired someone to get involved it would be a very worthwhile mission. Same goes for the copies of model railway magazines 😁

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 10

I don't bother buying hard copy catalogues - haven't for decades as I can find all the info online - but sometimes it is worth keeping one stored away for future reference in the years to come.   I'll archive the one coming for free with today's order. 

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Donate them to the local doctors, out patient’s clinics etc for waiting room reading. 

I'm not sure if they do that any more since Covid. Neither my dentist or doctor have any magazines to read these days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobby11 said:

Neither my dentist or doctor have any magazines to read these days.

Mine do, and also have sanitiser dispensers available to all- its not only Covid that is contagious.

I might keep one for a bit but mine will go to Famous Trains in Derby where we have lots of young visitors - so they will not be wasted.

My surprise was how substantial the catalogues are - and how heavy to add to distribution costs unless that is done purely by size. They are at least designed, produced and printed in the UK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Les-345151 said:

Mine do, and also have sanitiser dispensers available to all- its not only Covid that is contagious.

Funny how it never bothered anyone before even though they were still around! 😉

You'd think they would limit the OO catalogue offloading to one per TT:120 victim customer. I remember them doing the same thing last year and it does seem to be a massive case of over ordering of a product with a very limited shelf life. I can imagine this has cost Hornby a lot so they might want to reduce the order size for next year!

4 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

As TT eats into OO, maybe they should think about a decent quality TT:120 catalogue. 

Or two distinct sections in the overall catalogue. I mentioned this for the website yesterday so something similar to the main catalogue. 

• Like 1

I am not sure OO is ready to admit TT:120 is a thing. Hornby TT:120 is already bigger than Accurascale. It’s hard to be 100% precise but I think it’s overtaken N in UK in terms of sales values. 
Perhaps Hornby needs to get a bit braver and produce a OO/TT:120 joint brouchue. 

4 minutes ago, Skelton Junction said:

A publication just for fishplates!? 😀 sounds like something from the last round of #hignify 😃 

Unless they're selling weed as well now 😮

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skelton Junction said:

A publication just for fishplates!? 😀 sounds like something from the last round of #hignify 😃 

And in our guest publications round....

****** ******** Makes You An Expert In Model Railways....