Hornby Online Survey

Tim Allen

12 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Where is the link to this survey?  Can't see anything in the members area. 

There is no link, it is an email sent to you from Hornby and you can only do it once.

It stops an individual doing it lots of times to try to get their wants looking as if it is top of the list etc.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

There is no link, it is an email sent to you from Hornby and you can only do it once.

It stops an individual doing it lots of times to try to get their wants looking as if it is top of the list etc.

Looks like Hornby  must have  forgot me lol 🤪.

1 hour ago, Kenneth-365689 said:

Am I being to simplistic, or not really grasped the problem. As a UK based purchaser, when I was doing OO I used to buy lots of second hand items from Hattons. I would leave it all in their Trunk until I had accumulated enough stuff to get free postage, then get it all in one package. Could RoW buyers not do something similar with RoS? With the cost of new TT120 items it would surely not take long to build up a sufficient bill to get something off the postage? Or at least it should only cost postage x 1? Maybe, at the moment, that may offer a bit of a solution to the problem. If I've got this wrong, and I probably have, then please accept my apologies for meddling in a topic that, being UK based, I have no experience of. 

I don't think that RoS offer this service.  TMC do but not sure if they cover RoW.

17 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

I did the same with the website in the final box. 

• Website is public face of company
  • Cluttered Menus
  • Needs separate TT:120 and OO exclusive sections
  • Have OO part numbers like TT has for scale exclusive items and R & P numbers for generic items
  • Allow pre-orders for multiple items and not separate orders with separate delivery costs
  • Allow pre-ordering of out of stock items for when they come back into stock
  • Make catalogue online only as out of date quickly as stock items sell out

Like you I feel overall they are doing well with a few niggles to over come. Hopefully it will be taken as constructive criticism as intended.

If you don't want criticism don't ask for feedback!  Good that they did though.

I'm glad that you mentioned the website.  I come on here to find out what's happening.  If the website was better I'd go there first.

8 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

But in a system with a Trunk, extra warehouse space is required.  Hornby must be prepared to rent or own a much larger warehouse, to accommodate any and all who wish to gang ship items.  At one point, we investigated the number of orders that come in to Hornby as a function of the sequential order number system.  I recall hundreds of orders, per day. 

You are assuming a real trunk, i.e. a real storage location. What if the trunk only exists virtually and everything is only collected and shipped when the trunk shows the green light: "everything is there"?

29 minutes ago, Ilmson said:

You are assuming a real trunk, i.e. a real storage location. What if the trunk only exists virtually and everything is only collected and shipped when the trunk shows the green light: "everything is there"?

That is what could happen, with in stock items being tagged as 'sold' in inventory, but held despatch per the parent order until errant items become available.

1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

That is what could happen, with in stock items being tagged as 'sold' in inventory, but held despatch per the parent order until errant items become available.

I used to work at a logistics centre. When an item is booked into stock it is allocated to an order, ie removed from the inventory count available. It sits on the shelf until the order is either split (in stock items shipped and remaining items go onto a back order) or completed when other items come into stock. When all items are available the order run is printed to be picked for dispatch. It's really not as big a deal as being made out.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

I used to work at a logistics centre. When an item is booked into stock it is allocated to an order, ie removed from the inventory count available. It sits on the shelf until the order is either split (in stock items shipped and remaining items go onto a back order) or completed when other items come into stock. When all items are available the order run is printed to be picked for dispatch. It's really not as big a deal as being made out.

Some places ask if you are happy to take a split order or do you want to wait for the rest to turn up. In such cases they tended to bear the additional postage cost if split.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Some places ask if you are happy to take a split order or do you want to wait for the rest to turn up. In such cases they tended to bear the additional postage cost if split.

yes or the sales person wants their commission figures in for month / quarter end so will push to split the order. The issue we had was the £50k server build would still require an item on back order so couldn't be built or shipped anyway. You got a satisfying smile on your face when you hear the sales person groan on the other end of the phone when you told them.

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

It's really not as big a deal as being made out.

The pertinent factor is that Hornby have outsourced warehousing & logistics - therefore they (currently) have no control over the ordering system/process.

Unless they perceive a financial reward to either retaking control or renegotiating the contract - then as @What About The Bee stated nothing will change!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

The pertinent factor is that Hornby have outsourced warehousing & logistics - therefore they (currently) have no control over the ordering system/process.

Unless they perceive a financial reward to either retaking control or renegotiating the contract - then as @What About The Bee stated nothing will change!

Unless we tell Hornby that we want this then nothing will change. if enough complain about the current system then Hornby as the customer, can approach the sub contractor and state what changes they would like. The sub contractor can either be flexible and take these changes on board (maybe for an extra fee) or risk losing out when the contract is next reviewed either to Hornby taking it back in house or another sub contractor who is willing to provide the requested service takes over. In any case unless we tell them we are unhappy Hornby will assume we are happy.

• Like 3

I completed it yesterday. My only complaint was the various small quality issues which I said were user fixable in most cases but still annoying especially if you don’t live in the UK. Enjoyed the opportunity to provide a wish list. Hopefully they will combine answer and look for trends. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

...maybe for an extra fee...

Precisely that.  How much do we, the customers, wish to pay for a service such as this?  

If the answer is zero, then Hornby has little financial encouragement to make a change.  

Hornby could offer free shipping (and hide the shipping cost in the price of the product).

Hornby could offer free trunk service (and hide the trunk service cost in the price of the product).

Do not underestimate the power of the accounting department, who can show decision makers the financial outcomes of their decisions.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee

1 minute ago, What About The Bee said:

Precisely that.  How much do we, the customers, wish to pay for a service such as this?  

If the answer is zero, then Hornby has little financial encouragement to make a change.  

Hornby could offer free shipping (and hide the shipping cost in the price of the product).

Hornby could offer free trunk service (and hide the trunk service cost in the price of the product).

Do not underestimate the power of the accounting department, who are can show decision makers the financial outcomes of their decisions.

Bee

We already pay for postage if an order is less than £50 or you want an express order placing.

Like I said in previous posts, it's not difficult to do and any half decent logistics company can take it on. I have a feeling it's mainly how the website has been set up rather than a logistical issue.

Unless we tell Hornby this is what we want they won't know. Tell them what we want, let them decide if it's feasible or not.

I find they whole split shipping for preorders very annoying. Living overseas it means I don’t preorder anything from Hornby since no single item will be over £200 and that means I get charged £30 shipping. I’d rather go through a retailer who combines items and charges actual shipping costs rather than a one size fits all amount which is often excessive for TT120 size items. Also I get 10% at least up front not 10% I have to buy something else to use. 
If Hornby is ok losing this business then that is fine. They still sell stock just at a lower price

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

Tell them what we want, let them decide if it's feasible or not.

Yes, spot on.  I have written to Hornby on this exact matter.  Hopefully the online survey brings the point home more forcefully.

And like @BritInVanCAI too am annoyed by ridiculous shipping costs for ROW.  It absolutely has affected how I order product.  

Bee

I'm another who, along with other minor gripes, made the point about the glitchy website and its' inability to combine pre-orders for free postage. However, I did compliment their customer services for sorting the issue when it arises. Hopefully something will come of it.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm a TT 120 club member but did not get a survey / link?

However, I am enjoying my TT trains.  Have Scotsman set & Easterner set both DCC plus some extra wagons & coaches, including a set of Mk 2 blue / grey coaches.

I also have some Mk 3 coaches ready for my HST train set (Blue / grey ) DCC which I hope to get for Christmas.

Building a layout which will be portable and have some Tillig & Arnold German outline stock too.  

Hornby's repair team is great, thank you.  Had two occasions to use them.

Postal service is good.

Wish more wagons would be made.  Hornby & our local shop run out of Esso oil wagons for example.  I have two but wanted ten to run a rake / train.  So I now have some German bogie oil wagons which i intend to paint and make them look like British one.

Hope this is picked up by Hornby and helps.  Looking forwards to the class 66 & 37 locos and maybe not so long the class 47?

• Like 1