Class 50: are you pleased with your model?

dBerriff

You can get strips of stick-on weights. 

https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/sale/products/model-railway-weights

These are not lead but marked Fe, so (plated?) iron. A small weight could be sufficient for a TT wagon. I might try this out but it will not be until later today. 

Edited by dBerriff
  • Thanks 1

On 10/09/2024 at 16:58, david_watts1 said:

Been playing with Eddie again today, and is it just mine, but are the springs in the couplings too strong, so as the loco goes around corners it derails the lead wagon because it's too light.

Out of interest is it a Hornby or Peco wagon? 

The Peco ones are not as flexible on corners due to their moulded design and these do cause more issues than Hornby, which, I have never had an issue with.

My "50's" are under Deltic bodies so only pull coaches, but, they are flexible as per other kinematic ones anyway.

14 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I did thread with a couple of photos showing how the cab light wires catch the spring, shortening its effective length which raises the spring rate. 

Mine don't have cabs Matt due to the different body styles between Deltic and a 50.

Once the cab is removed then the spring/coupling mount is actually loose. By lifting it there are two tapped holes covered with tape, these holes are tapped the same size as the cab screws. With no cab I used these holes to hold the mechanism and that is when I found out screwing down fully stopped and movement. So, pushed a coupling to one side where it stayed, I loosened off the screws until it sprung back on its own and left it at that.

• Like 1

I started out with a Peco wagon with a load made by MacTrains, thinking it might be the dodgy Peco non sprung couplings I then used a Hornby LNER vent van, but that derailed too. I tried the loco without the cab lights in situe, it still derailed the wagon. That's when I decided to try to weaken the spring by stretching it, one worked and the other one stressed me and got binned.

• Like 1

I have tried a 50 with 21t minerals and they seemed fine and with my vent vans. I don’t have any of the Peco wagons, not into PO ones and wanted steel body stuff to suit era/area a bit, even though some stock is a real mix 🤣. I think for sanity you just have to do what works, derailing vehicles is very frustrating! 

I had to put various temporary weights in some of my wagons, especially when running long rakes. The Peco ones seemed to be more perceptible to being pulled off on curves.

• Like 5

@Baz657the layout looks great how  big is it 8' by 4 '  layout like this show TT120 of to  it's best .

if it was oo it would not look so good it would have to be 12'by 6' to  look as good .

someones bought a lot of trucks i bet it took a time to unbox them and put them all on the track. I can't wait to see you layout finished what is you plan for it going forward 😊

Edited by happy tt
it made more sense
  • Like 1