General Discussion Sub-Forum descriptive text

Do you have more than 1 engine? If so, you collect them. With a collection of 36 models, I am a modeller, but you could say that I am a collector as well. I haven't got a group of 36 models together by being only a modeler not a collector as well. It all comes down to how we define our language. I don't necessarily see a problem with a modeller also being a collector. Modeler XYZ

Edited by ModelerXYZ
Proofreading Error

I would classify you as a modeller because you have created a layout; the number of locomotives to me is immaterial - you run them.  I have always considered a collector one who has no intention of running his/her collection, rather they sit in display cabinets or even untouched in their unopened boxes perhaps more as an investment than an active hobby.  In any event, 'railway modeller' to me seems a more embracing term. 

• Like 1

I am a modeller who collects junk, at least they are when I have finished fettling them.

Ref the section header descriptions, they are first cut and liable to change, however nit-picking is allowed and noted. 

Whatever aspect of the hobby you engage in, be it scratch builder, diorama builder, trainspotting on a loop of track, etc; you are enthusiastic about what you are doing.

If you collect, then you are enthusiastic about your collection.  The term modeler doesn't fit

If you like the landscaping and trains just happen to be there, you are enthusiastic about dioramas.  The term collector doesn't fit.

If I like the historical research aspect, then I am enthusiastic about discovering the old ways.  The term modeler doesn't fit.  Or collector, unless you think I am collecting trivia.

Enthusiastic about night running and installing lights in your passenger cars?  The term collector doesn't fit.

I am enthusiastic about scratch building locomotives.  It does make me a modeler.. Does that make me a collector?  

Engineering a level crossing.  Which category would you place that in?

I over-used the words to emphasize how there is always a positive connotation with one of them.   No matter which aspect of the hobby, a person who shows interest and passion is showing enthusiasm.

An Enthusiast.

And that's me

Bee