Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

My 9F Evening Star has just arrived - I'm not complaining, but talk about pass the parcel, as DarkRedCape commented, the packaging was superb - I didn't think I was ever going to get to the loco. It looks superb. I will probably add etched brass nameplates at some stage. The crew are painted.

forum_image_6323479357761.thumb.png.c413a09094101cd2c2cbf19bd9bb12ab.png

forum_image_6323479f469ae.thumb.png.d41d8340d5668f633134bad2b4d2f3d8.png

My Hattons Genesis GWR 4 and 6 wheeled coaches have just arrived. Very nice models which look particularly nice alongside my Hornby GWR 4 wheelers which are just that little bit different to represent the variety that were so typical of the time they were in service.

My Hattons Genesis GWR 4 and 6 wheeled coaches have just arrived. Very nice models which look particularly nice alongside my Hornby GWR 4 wheelers which are just that little bit different to represent the variety that were so typical of the time they were in service.

Any chance you could post a side by side picture? Thanks

Hi there,

being one who is disappointed with prices these days I was pleased to see a web special, Galloway Princess (R30080) as a web special for under £100.00 so I treated myself. Chipping it was a bit of a nightmare as I seem to have got a duff decoder, all fixed and running now, I even put a driver in whilst the top was off. More prime movers at sub £100.00 please.

John

Just bought the latest Hornby Evening Star. I was a bit shocked when TMC mailed me to say that they wanted paying. An even bigger shock was the price, significantly more expensive that when I ordered it. It is a really nice loco but if I hadn't preordered it, I don't know whether I would have paid that much for it as an impulse purchase.

@dadad, Railroad R3171 2-8-2 is winging it's freepost way to me from Time Tunnel Models for £75 , is that far enough under £100 for you. With prices going the way they are, unless it has "Railroad" in the name, I don't dare look, they seem rugged good value, and on the far side of a layout, no one is going to know.

I recently saw a rather beautiful Class 47 on the website of a large online retailer for £200. Looked very nice but way out of my price bracket. The same went for a gorgeous maroon class 52 - £180.

So, having just celebrated 25 years at work, I decided to treat myself, but I went on ebay instead, and got a Heljan class 47 in two-tone green for £60, plus two Lima Westerns (both less than £35). All three are in fabulous condition and run very well, with one of the Lima diesels having that characteristic ringfield growl that I really like.

forum_image_632f2d36b8dca.thumb.png.68cbb5c1fb3787a841c488b409f8d502.png

I know DarkRedCape, Hornby used to send an EMail to say that they are available. Well they did today, one week after I got told mine was in. I thought TMC were just getting the money in before they received the locos off Hornby, but I got the mail asking me to pay one day and it was dispatched about a day later. There was no mention of them being available previous to that. I didn't expect to see it until next year. I ordered a P2 at the same time about a year and a half ago, so I wonder when that will turn up?

forum_image_632f5fc6f0b51.thumb.png.0adc81be4baf5259792deff88dd91af0.png

Above is one of the Hatons coaches I mentioned earlier - it's funny how the flash has emphasized the difference in colour between it and the Hornby four-wheelers, but I do think mixing the different manufacturers adds character to the train.

The loco body is also a recent purchase and has been modified to rest on a DAPOL B4 chassis, just need to fit a Decoder and work out how to fix it to the body

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what it is about these 9F's, but I absolutely love them. I got the R3987 92194 and decided to pick up the other two, the R3988 Evening Star and the R3986 92167.

Ordered the R3988 and the R3986 at the same time, so not really sure why one has arrived and the other hasn't, but it'll be here I'm sure.

forum_image_633c1eafbb73d.png.a2d224968a58163b6f922546fa511b8c.png

forum_image_633c1eb26544b.thumb.png.eddb65fec974d32d0b836ee25d341e32.png

How is the 'bundle of snakes' pipework under the RHS of the cab now - horribly gross and heavily moulded in older Hornby locomotives - the other brand had it much better?

Looks an impressive locomotive indeed.

Don't blame you.

I've not seen enough to make me part with my Bachmann 92220 TBH, but I think that's with thoughts of the other pre-orders starting to arrive ... !!

Al.