Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

My latest acquisition; a Bach***n Midland Pullman set. Not the site to report such non-allegiance, (but the question was asked!)So for information I'd like to report.

An excellent model, but with problems. The power car power bogies, at both ends have

larger btb clearances, (compared to all other btb's in the set) this leads to derailment on facing points. The wheels riding the frog. This was cured by reducing the btb to 14.4mm. Originally 14.7mm. A small difference, but works. The DCC light control is

different, the cab lights are on F2 whereas all of my other locos have cab lights on F8. The set has provision for sound, speaker boxes provided, but B*mann advise me they do not, as yet have decoders the available. Although any 21 pin DCC sound decoder, suitably

programmed, could be fitted. £200+, sounds expensive, but if dedicated, with large pockets achievable.

Finally, although adding to this thread, I have not had the time to read much of it. (58 pages). About time it was closed, and new, specific threads

opened!

Only just back in work March 10th after 3 months out, so a self imposed ban on spending on the railway. However, I did allow myself a VX Cresta Estate and Jag XK 120 DHC from the varsity town named supplier,

Really - with 50 engines and 6 DMUs

and maybe 61 coaches/parcels I dont really need to buy anymore items - but they seem to bring out new models I want every month !! .

Blackbird, I have a special one-off Midland Pullman train from the same manufacturer, but experimentally fitted with sound at both ends by someone else. I have had no real problems with it at all, it glides along and doesn't seem to have any trouble clearing

my P*co code 100 trackwork, including a large junction. I have never checked any back to back measurements on it because it runs so well. Bit of a pain coupling the lot together and managing to get all wheels on the track properly, though, eh?

Graskie said:

Good to hear your wife's result, PP. What tablet is she on that seems to be causing the problem?

I know she has problems on a Sunday with drugs, it is the chemo drug.

The chest pains isn't a drug

it is something she has to live with, seemingly due to (system won't let me add so) room a toid arth ritis it is recurring Costochondritis.

Graskie said:

Good to hear your wife's result, PP. What tablet is she on that seems to be causing the problem?

I know she has problems on a Sunday with drugs, it is the chemo drug.

The chest pains isn't a drug

it is something she has to live with, seemingly due to (system won't let me add so) room a toid arth ritis it is recurring Costo chon dritis.

I bought a R121 Red Triang Suburban coach at the Gateshead toy fair on Saturday. It cost £2. I need some more centre coaches for my fleet of 1957 type Triang EMUs but people seem to want daft prices for the real thing (R223) so I decided at £2 it was worth

doing a repaint. (SoT will probably now tell me I will permanently ruin its value, but I now have yet another 3 car EMU, but I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over losing £2.) The roof took a bit of removing as I needed to get the glazing out to clean

it, but with a sharp knife and a steady hand I manage to remove it, I wish they didn't glue them on. The hardest part was matching the paint, as it is a very peculiar shade of green on those earlier 3Subs, but I have got fairly close with a mixture of different

greens.

Graskie said:

Blackbird, I have a special one-off Midland Pullman train from the same manufacturer, but experimentally fitted with sound at both ends by someone else. I have had no real problems with it at all, it glides along and doesn't

seem to have any trouble clearing my P*co code 100 trackwork, including a large junction. I have never checked any back to back measurements on it because it runs so well. Bit of a pain coupling the lot together and managing to get all wheels on the track

properly, though, eh?

Hi Graskie, I'm interested in your 'sound' installation. The original decoders are by Soundtraxx, are your sound decoders? There doesn't seem to be enough space for an ESU sound decoder? Is the sound program correct for this

set? I know there is a Cl43 sound program available which must be similar. I wonder if anyone has a sound recording for this set?

I'm afraid I won it on eBay, Blackbird, a couple of years ago. It was brand new and I managed to get it for just under £500 which I considered to be pretty good at the time, particularly with sound at both ends and the basic set costing as much as about

£400 in the shops.

I got it from Digitrains, by the looks of it, and my literature for it shows a Loksound Class 251 Pullman Sound Decoder. In addition to all the default lighting options, the sounds it has are:

F2 Twin horn

F3 Twin horn (reverse

notes)

F4 Volume/mute (double tap for 4 stage volume control)

F5 Guard's whistle

F6 Station noise

F7 Compressor

F10 Brake release

F11 Compressor

It was put up as a special one-off, which, to my ears, sounds great. I can't vouch for

sound authenticity because there are apparently few, if any, genuine recordings from when these trains actually ran.

All I know is that I regard this as my best and most satisfying diesel loco set-ups. It runs so smoothly as well, even across my complicated

junction. Perhaps I should put up a bit of film of it.

At last I bought some UHU glue today, with the vague notion of sticking a few bits back on my locos sometime. Super-glue and the old plastic glues just don't work nowadays on modern plastics. I already had two tubes whose contents you can mix together,

but that seems such a waste if you want to glue just a few items at a time.

Yes, I know that, WTD, but anything you've mixed and don't use is wasted, isn't it? You probably need to have a gluing session for that. I must admit that my UHU doesn't mention plastics, but the guy on eBay who sold me a loco from which a few bits dropped

off on receipt swore by it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly a new acquisition but a resurrection of an old Triang train a pile of components. In 1963 I swapped a load of Triang TT with a school friend for a R50 Princess and a R156 Southern EMU plus non-powered trailer. The Princess was merged with

a Kitmaster Biggin Hill and lasted quite a few years before I lost interest and it went to my brothers. The EMU was eventually modified according to an article in Model Railway Constructor by Alan Williams, turning it into a 2Hap. This too was passed to my

brothers when I was distracted by girls, beer and motor bikes.

A year or so ago my brother handed me a box of 'bits' most of which was the by now heavily damaged R156, plus some Triang non-corridors in similar condition. In the mean time I had bought

another Triang EMU non-powered trailer at a car boot that someone had tried to turn into an observation car by filing off all the end details and painting the whole thing maroon.

Over the last fortnight I have stripped all the old paint off, remade

all the broken bits with plastic card, repaired the motor, and now have another three car Triang EMU that looks like an original one again. The end dome over the driving cab was perhaps the most difficult bit, but I am quite pleased with it.

Talking of all things Southern, I've just acquired another Tri-ang-Hornby M7 in Malachite Green, I'm getting a taste for Southern locos, I quite like the old Tri-ang models in Malachite!

Also bought a pile of brand new Blue Box Mk1's, more wheels,

a car first aid kit and warning triang for the "new" car, three boces of 4th radius double curves, a pile of new Hornby standard points, and a pile of live steam spares and a Sat Nav!.

Having finished the EMU I have just been repairing the decorations to an old Triang Hornby BR black M7, someone had painted it malachite in the past and then stripped it off again, but failed to restore the lining and decals. They had also left traces

of green paint in certain tiny crevices which I have had to extract carefully with a pointed instrument. For its age it is a very good model, and is a splendid runner. Broken parts of the lining has been replaced with a bow pen. Added to that I have replaced

some steps on a couple of L1s (the 4-4-0 variety, oh how I wish Hornby would re-introduce this delightful model) and tidied up a 0-6-0ST.

York Toyfair today -

Another Triang green suburban composite R223 to go into one of my Triang 3Sub sets. Also two shortie green Hornby Dublo suburban coaches (Brake and Compo), for which I now need a green R1.

• 4 weeks later...