Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Ed, excellent buy. It’s  a strange world, you in states buying Hornby and me in France buying MTH

yelrow, it definitely is!  I have mostly Lionel, Ives and American Flyer and the classics in HO (Mantua, Varney, etc.)  But for some reason, the UK trains have always been something I've loved.  My collection is now a combination of mine and my father's (inherited after he passed in January), and it turned out even he had some UK items in his collection!  Found a wonderful clockwork Bassett-Lowke Duke of York loco in his collection, for one!

Hi all, the all new Class 87 "king Arthur". I would say Hornby have set a new standard for an Electric modern model, like was done for the Class 50 and 60. It is stunning. Included are etched nameplates, cab lighting etc, many of which are not described in the catalogue. Paintwork amazing, as are the detailed parts. And it runs so smoothly out of the box its just superb. Thanks Hornby, has taken some time but worth the wait for me! Now, please get out prior Intercity Livery like "Robert the Bruce" and I will buy the second one!

Always was impressed by the 87 in Liverpool Lime Street when they first came out in the late 70's I think, just by the way the relatively small locomotive would be connected to a substantial rake of carriages, the driver would rock up perhaps 10 minutes before departure, sometimes 5 minutes, then a couple of minutes before you would hear the cooling fans whirring, and bang on time ... she was gone, and FAST as well!!

5000 hp if I remember.

The London train would pull out simultaneously with the trans-Pennine pulled by a 47, typically.

This would have been rattling, smoking and revving for 20-30 minutes before departure ... and I LIKE 47's, but the 87 was impressive in doing so little, then so much, instantly!!

Al.

Last foray into the market, whilst waiting for Duchess of Hamilton - to arrive next year - was the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.

The model looks great, and the real one is fantastic - I dislike GWR only because they don't look as impressive as those from SR, LMS and LNER, but cannot doubt the fantastic performances !!

This particular one, 'won' on a certain site, didn't arrive as was described - separate issue I'm approaching!! - and has fought me all the way, but I've only one thing left now ...

Just when I thought all had been repaired where able - looks GREAT - one of the cab window rails fell off!!

I've drilled the cab and painted some wire I'll replace it with - it fell into that huge void that is the garage floor and cannot be located so I've had to recreate my own.

Can't believe it, but I still really like this locomotive, and it's been quite a creative learning experience for me at the same time. No intention of wanting to return it!!

Al.

Completely out of character, I bought a Dapol 57xx in gauge O yesterday. Lovely model, smooth runner and makes an interesting contrast with their Gauge O A1X which I bought earlier. Only complaint, it is pristine and I can only remember them grubby. So it may be a weathering task! Great for the shunting layout I am planning.

Hi

My latest buy is 3 Olive green SR coaches R431 x2 & R432 x1 (Brake) also a couple of Malachite Green brakes R487 (one of the boxes has an original price tag on the box of £3.75p Those were the days).

I can now make 3 C sets in Olive Green and 2 C sets in Malachite Green. C set being brake coach brake, my case its a 3rd Brake 1st/3rd Composite coach 3rd Brake.

Hi All,Picked up this at a toyfair, photo shows the loco.What is different about the loco is that it appears to be a 'stationmaster' loco.Produced around 1993 to 1998 so UK made.The unusual thing is that it is catalogued to come in three colours Red,  Yellow and Grey body.Never seen a grey one thougth.As can be seen it is blue.Chassis does state 'Made in Gfeat Britain'.Buffers and wheels right for stationmaster loco.Other blue class 'D' have been made in blue but have black roofs / smokeboxes./media/tinymce_upload/c2e05ff78f27c52f8d8a879aa493848a.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/f33b668672a5e7ae1aaf98878dfd1613.JPG

Just taken delivery of one of my own shapeways creations. The base for my Goods Shed which I have decided to 3D print after several attempts at scratchbuilding have gone horribly wrong!

I am now working on the rest of it but will probably use Wills slate roofing for the roof to keep cost down

Just 'won' a 'good used' Hornby 46100 BR Royal Scot said to run smoothly forwards and backwards - i.e. hopefully no chassis problem.

Obviously will see on arrival but here's hoping - no box so had to locate a Patriot box elsewhere.

Curiosity got me enquiring 'what's the difference?' between the 2 - mainly cab windows, sand boxes and front chassis apparently ... will be interesting as my rebuilt Patriot is one of my favourites even if it wasn't preserved ...

Al.

As mentioned, Royal Scot has arrived.

To be honest, it's as near to perfect as I could have expected!!

The vendor had no idea why the speedo cable was disconnected, so that's one 'adventure' I'll have to take - don't see any problem there - and only one casualty which may have been transit, or before, but I'm not too bothered - it's yet another locomotive with a 'missing dart' - smokebox door clamp handles.

I have brass spares and have operated on a few bodies now, so I know what to expect!!

Quite happy. No box, but I have a Patriot box coming for it.

I have the 'other items' I need as well - coupling, coupling holder, vacuum pipe ... 

I'm not straightening the side window until I get home - easily lost!!

Once home, it'll be made a more-permanent fitting, 'though folded flat like that (RHS cab side window) isn't bad.

/media/tinymce_upload/166d2ba80607e27d8bd54d0c9998e42b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2fcb5a6340b839fad0f9fe92a25e53a6.jpg

Al.

46239  -  City of Chester.

I've made various attempts over the last 6 months to get this 'sister' locomotive to my City of Liverpool - finally happened.

It's an older 'Super Detail' version, but very decent nevertheless.

RHS handrail had some problems on arrival - was above the blinker. Closer inspection reveals a minor 'issue' which can be resolved with a dab of glue if necessary, to retain the rail at the top of the blinker.

There is a moulded retainer which appears to have been broken in it's past, liberating the rail - not an issue.

Then I need to get around to adding the detail - like the Scottie from yesterday.

Definitely the last locomotive .... until Hamilton arrives in March (let's be realistic) next year ...

/media/tinymce_upload/b753bab84800d259ec17633059a805d2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/923260a5d6a5e2eb6d79f89ed803abe2.jpg

It was a bit sunny!!

Time for a late Vitamin D top-up before Winter hits home .... !!

Al.

My H2 32424 arrived at home from Wigan today while I was out buying a £6.00 Triang R52 3F 0-6-0T (with polystyrene body, mark 2 couplings and brass safety valves) at Gateshead toy fair! The Jinty needs 2 front buffers which I have in my spares box, all decals, which I can get from my Modelmaster spares, and the wheels cleaned (which I have done) and is otherwise good. The H2 has been 'run-in' on my rolling road but hasn't been run on the layout yet A really handsome model, should look great on a train of SECR Birdcage carriages in BR crimson lake .

My other Toy Fair finds were a boxed unused Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST (Gauge O), three Triang Tierwag car carriers, a set of 1/76 scale fork lift trucks in BR CLC livery and two boxed and unmade Kitmaster German carriages (mainly for the box artwork which includes along the side the NYC Hudson and the BR A3 neither of which were ever made by Kitmaster. I am still in two minds as to whether I shall ever make the kits).

Hi Atom 3624,Several years ago Hornby  produced 'X' variants of models to denote that they were DCC Fitted.I was told by a Hornby Rep. that Hornby produced only 250 models with the 'X' code.Hence it was possible to buy R3018 and R3018X.I have the Royal Scot R3018X, Scots Guardsman. 46115.It is the only Royal Scot I have which is DCC fitted.Also have R3017X, Patriot, Sir Herbert Walker.45535.