Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

As always, it's new to me stuff,  Ebay in the states pays off once in a while

Got myself a class 37 to.go along with my 25 and 55/media/tinymce_upload/12081df7c7451e316a4b1e12c13c1919.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/3e5b5c1dc2089c7bdf4739a70abf55da.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/d8e9134c9b5fff9f2eb280dbb775a4b5.jpg

Hi Andy,

I think I used Patriot / Royal Scot draincocks - some Dremel micro holes carefully drilled, trial a few times, then glue into place.

Crew - I think that applied to UK built locos - I've not had any in the accessory packs of 'newer' Chinese-built locos.

Vacuum pipes are in most accessory packs - check which design is most appropriate. Aftermarket brass ones are available as well.

The socket - again, should find suitable examples on a certain auction site.

Hope this helps.

Al.

I just managed to get this for not very much at all! I suspect some people will wonder what the shapeless casting is. It is a Gaiety Pannier tank from the 1950s, probably 10 years or so older than I am and it works perfectly without me having done enything to it. I would expect it to be running long after 90%+ of the locos on sale today have given up and although it doesn’t have th modern detail refinements it will fit in better with the rest of my stock! It must be one of the heavist locos I own. 

I need to tidy up the paintwork and add some couplings but that is about it. 

/media/tinymce_upload/4a1432546f58b21d26e214f44650a9a4.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/81a3bf3139f6a523e06d671f1382cfa3.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/dcf20af7e5ba7000109e10bd21f4480e.jpg

Long time coming ....

Original order didn't materialise, so cancelled - another story.

6229 has FINALLY arrived!!

There is a minor paint issue, but this wasn't a proprietary shop, so I'll live with it - part of the central gold lining, above the valvegear ...

/media/tinymce_upload/0ce5cabea8b2ffadd0862dfbf47825fc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2459aedb47a230fb448f0f54c0d2ab76.jpg

Seems like Hornby's QC isn't what it could be - 'blistering' on the buffer coating as well - only there if you're really looking.

I think it's a keeper anyway.

Al.

I see you have piccked up the 2019 tooling of the Terrier Class, Brian. Nice purchase, well done.  😀

It's a shame that Hornby no longer have the Thomas & Friends license, as Hornby could release a really nice third generation Stepney, with this tooling. Then again, it would probably be too delicate for the Thomas & Friends range. Bother!  🤔 😆 😉 😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I REALLY wanted to like my recently purchased R3677, and have always been a huge fan of 'anything Stanier' since I was 10 years old, this model being perhaps the pinnacle, or one of for Hornby, thus far ... but ...

There's a story coming ... once 'moderated' as I 'quoted' my last post, with photos.

To pre-empt, I assumed all was well and didn't test the locomotive before I opened it up ... WRONG!!!

Al.

Large reel of triple plaited heavy gauge electric string for points motor wiring, a couple of packs of breadboard jumper wires, a 0-300vAC voltmeter and a gear puller. Still waiting for my 20 pack of led street lights for a tenner from China.

Voltmeter was spot on with mains voltage and a couple of wall wart AC outputs, but didn’t like DCC at all, started to smell hence rapidly disconnected, which is a pity as I wanted it to show track voltage even if not the true value. May have to pull it apart to see what components are in there and why they would fry.

Gear puller has 3 interchangeable mandrils but I may have to make up an even smaller diameter one. The larger diameter ones will make pressing gears on again very easy.

/media/tinymce_upload/bfdcc8dd81257124ddb6b2ad35b92df0.jpg

It appears my full explanation may have been a little graphic, and has been 'moderated'.

Basically, it is shorting in the locomotive chassis.

LONG process of elimination ... the pickup fingers are somehow shorting - against chassis, screw onto sanders / fingers? Don't know.

Hornby have agreed to look at the locomotive, so I will keep you posted, hopefully within the next months, of the outcome.

I've not read of any other instances, and to be honest, the construction appears much more straightforward than other locomotives - I found it quite easy to work on.

Al.