Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

How the heck do they do it for the price Rob?

I have no idea. The wiring is thin, about a foot long, but sturdy and tinned on the ends. The lamps are robust and look good lit by a pair of AA batterIes. The base part slides down to provide a firm support. I cannot fault them apart from they didnt arrive until 9 days after the delivery bracket end date. I moaned after 3 days and they asked me to wait another five days and they eventually turned up. If they hadn’t they said they were happy to send replacements.

They are called Sunnimix, picked at random as I had been reading about a guy who asked for led lights snd got GoW ones which melted the lights, so I thought if these are the same its only a few quid, but they are fine, with a nice white glow.

Just got a couple.of battle space pieces..  I do have a question about the loco... it has synchro smoke, but it looks I have to take body off to add the oil, no big dea, as it's just one screw, but  maybe I'm missing something../media/tinymce_upload/8a53d0ccbf0597f95c9c6144f63294e9.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/91374155a8540bbd3e4d2b19b820ee3b.jpg

Yes, you remove the body - one screw and a couple of 'lugs' at the other end- under the coal bunker I think.

There's a small brass screw if I remember holding the lid on to the synchrosmoke, and it should have a felt pad in it - which you 'lightly soak' in oil.

Does the piston work when the loco's moving - is it even connected?

Al.

Several sales later, another 'NRM replica' addition, albeit a little older.

I sold my BR split chassis Green Arrow, and purchased this quite difficult to find LNER one, 'as preserved' - it is DCC compatible should I ever venture that way, eventually ....

/media/tinymce_upload/abd6cd0d8e0229925d991d92a7c8048a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/76c0532f6120d383847282c917fbc6c7.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0ec75028980765f039131fce7bf6205b.jpg

Al.

My one and only Synchrosmoke Triang loco (I think it was a Jinty...but not sure) that I had as a child, had the smoke oil dripped from an 'eye dropper' down the chimney onto the pad and heating element. Not saying that this is the correct technique for this engine, but it might be........certainly a lot less hassle than removing the body. Look down the chimney to see if you can see the smoke unit below.

Remember to use the correct smoke oil......'Suethe Smoke Oil' these days......do not use some of the oils that you see mentioned in Internet articles and on YouTube. Like 'baby oil' for example. Baby oil and others will gunge up and eventually burnout the heating coil.

The synchro smoke does indeed work, when looking down the chimney all you see is a tiny hole, but once body is off, you can see the price with tiny hole  simply pops off the top allowing you to add oil, on my other synchro smoke loco you are able to add through the chimney as the hole is in a recessed area in the smoke unit.. and the top of that one doesn't pop off

Good evening everyone,at the weekend,I managed to purchase some items that were advertised locally to me,these were:

Airfix class 31

Battle space jinty

Tri ang Polly

Hornby Mark two coach

Tri ang murgatroyds tank wagon

Hornby Mark one coach

Early Tri ang coach

All for the bargain price of £20.

Apparently they were a loft find and were filthy.

I spent most of the day on Sunday cleaning them all up,changing brushes,where needed and lightly oiling where needed and now they all run as good as new.

The Airfix class 31 is my first Airfix loco and I'm quite impressed with it.

Also,while on a day trip to swanage recently,I managed to purchase a Tri ang jinty and a battle space plane launching wagon,for £8.The jinty had a loose driving wheel on one axle,so I replaced the bush and now it's ok and the plane launching wagon is missing the plane,but for £8,I can't grumble and I also purchased a Triang Baltic tank loco,which also had a loose wheel on one axle,which I repaired.Sometime during its life,a previous owner decided to paint it Matt black,but as I only paid £10 for it,who am I to complain?

That Green Arrow is a stunner to look at - some details are a little 'agricultural' by modern standards but nevertheless, it looks great.

When I started it running on a gentle run-in, it wasn't remotely smooth - juddering.

Turned out on closer inspection the wheel alignment was out slightly - 'quartering'.

Just by trial-and-error alone, I've managed to get it probably as good as I'm ever going to get it, and it's nice and smooth now ... bit of a worry initally, but it's going to be a good one I reckon.

Al.

Cheers mate. Fantastic - crawls nicely.

Yes - thing is the possibility of it happening again - 'though I hope not.

Self-induced to be honest through my impatience! - one or more axles were near-seized I reckon, which shows how good - for once - the motor is!!

I just added a little oil, then started moving the axles side-to-side, then when all seemed freer, I set it running - badly. ... Eventually - OK after a few 'circles' of the 4th radius circle I've set up in a corner of the garage - I realised what it might be and started tinkering ...

I'd love to say I was more scientific, but 'gentle guesswork' was all that was involved ... and it worked - crawls really quite nicely now.

Al.

Tri-ang Synchrosmoke (1964-197X) locos originally came with a small plastic funnel, that fits into the small hole in the smoke unit lid.

That was the design.

Sometimes the actual lid of the smaller units goes missing....

The larger units do have a built in trough, but did come with the funnel too.

Some earlier locos came with a glass pipette to use as s funnel, down the chimney

The Seuthe, 1961-1964, type smoke units have a larger opening....

Some people used 3in1 type lubricating oil!

Also not a good idea...

In 1964, the Seuthe type smoke units used in Tri-ang Railways locomotives from 1961 were mainly replaced by the introducton of Synchrosmoke units.

These were also known earlier on as Synkro-smoke, and other variations in spelling, etc.

The exceptions were the locomotives where the Synchrosmoke units could not be fitted, such as the S.R. L1 4-4-0, and the G.W.R. Lord of The Isles 4-2-2.

The Synchrosmoke units use a cast metal box, with a piston in a cylinder to push air into the box driven by a gear wheel, which is driven by the motor worm.

The box contains a wadding material, and on top of this is a heating element, that looks a little like a fuse, with a metal conducting cap on each end.

The element is wired in parallel to the loco motor, so the amount of voltage, and therefore heat was governed by the speed control setting.The air forced into the box by the piston expels the smoke in "puffs" that are synchronised to the driving wheel speed by the gear drive.Complicated to describe, but it works!

Some Examples of Synchrosmoke fitted locomotives.

R.51S G.W.R. 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Locos (1972)

R.051 G.W.R. 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Locos (1973-1974)

R.52S B.R. "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1964-1972)

R.052 B.R. "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1973-1975)

R.52AS L.M.S. Maroon "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1970-1973)

R.52RS L.M.S. Maroon "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1970-1973)

R.54S "T.C. Series" Transcontinental Pacific Tender Locos.(1964-1970)

R.54NS "T.C. Series" Transcontinental Pacific Tender Locos. "1542" late production models with 8-wheel "Gresley" "Flying Scotsman" Non Corridor Type tender fitted with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1973)

R.59S B.R. Class 3MT 2-6-2 Tank Locos (1969-1972)

R.150S B.R. B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos (1964-1969)

R.150NS N.E. Black "7476" B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos with Exhaust Steam Sound (1976-1978)

R.251S B.R. Lined Black "Deeley" Ex L.M.S. Class 3F 0-6-0 Tender Locos (1964-1965)

R.259S B.R. Britannia Class 7 4-6-2 Tender locos (1964-1970)

R.259NS B.R. Britannia Class 7 4-6-2 Tender locos with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1972)

R.258S B.R. Lined Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1964 & 1969)

R.258S L.M.S. Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1970)

R.258NS L.M.S. Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1974)

R.356S B.R. Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1964-1969)

R.377S G.N.S.R. Brown "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos from "The Railway Children" train set. (1970-1972)

R.452 L.M.S. Maroon "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1973-1974)

R.558S Battle Space Khaki "Jinty" 3f 0-6-0 Tank Locos from the "Strike Force 10" Train Set (1966-1967)

R.661S  Weathered B.R. Lined Black "Deeley" Ex L.M.S. Class 3F 0-6-0 Tender Locos from the “Old Smokey" Train Set (1965)

R.653S "T.C. Series" Continental "Prairie" 2-6-2 Tank Loco (Red frames and wheels, two domes) (1969)

R.866S L.N.E.R. Green B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos (1970)

R.866NS L.N.E.R. Green B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1974)

R.869S S.R. Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1969-1972)etc. It is important to only use proper model railway "Smoke Oil" in the smoke units, to avoid problems, including possible element damage.The smoke oil marketed by Tri-ang and Hornby has come in a variety of plastic tubes and sachets over the years. The last Hornby issue I have seen was a small plastic "pot" with a screw lid (R.8111).

Until the Hornby "Pot", the various containers of Smoke Oil had the part number R.521, including the sachets sold by Hornby to go with the later Smoke fitted locos that use a plastic smoke unit, including the 4-4-0s (SR Schools, Midland Compound, GWR County, and LNER Shire, and the GWR 2800 and LMS 8f 2-8-0 locos.