Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

There was graffiti in the 60s BUT apart from some "Ban the Bomb" slogans painted in whitewash in 12 inch / 2 foot letters on walls now and again it tended to be done in chalk, wax crayon or pencil, which quickly faded.or could be cleaned off fairly easily. Spray can paint was rare and expensive and hadn't come to the attentiuon of the common thuggery, and felt tip permanent markers virtually unavailable.Unfortunately cutting or scratching graffiti into stone or wood (and paintwork) was quite common, as it has been since caveman times.  There are some mature trees near us which have slogans carved into the bark which from the content appear to date from the 1970s.

Recently purchased the Honby Balfour Beatty Sentinel. Absolutely chuffed to bits with it.

The previous owner had already DCC fitted too which was an extra bonus! I’d like to make some more additions to my layout. I saw a Balfour Beatty themed small layout online and it looked great. Amazing how much detail can be applied to a small layout.

To be accurate all the phone box needs is the odour of stale urine. All th ones near us in the 70s were obviously used as a convenient urinal or worse with the phone directory making easy toilet paper. I don't remember much graffiti on them but I remember having to make a call once in the middle of winter with most of the windows broken. The phone box was a 5 minute walk and the only one on our estate. There could sometimes be a queue even in the rain. Most of my friends didn't have phones and the only way to see if they were coming out was to walk to their house and knock on the door. One who had a phone had a family code for the number of rings to avoid paying for calls. I think 3 rings meant his dad was coming home from work so put the tea on. 

Not really the good old days from that perspective!

Great layout by the way.  😀

Phone boxes - you were more likely to find little business cards tucked in wherever they would stick - advertising 'French Lessons', etc!

-

Latest purchase - one of those cleaning pencils I mentioned a couple of days ago. Looks like it might work.

I don't really want/need any more rolling stock or loco's - I have nowhere left to store them! So I'm down to adding little bits and pieces of 'detailing' and decoration, now.

Hi Jimbo..........that mention of rawl-plugs brings back memories from the 1960s using the asbestos composed Rawlplastic to plug many a hole in my first house in London in my early attempts at DIY......... 😮...........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/7a6f0812cdba337e9ef3a92d48ff2889.png

HB, that stuff brings back memories.....back in the the ‘60s I worked for a company called Expandite in Park Royal, NW London.  they used to produce a similar product called Philplug.  Remember going into the factory and being met by a mist of asbestos dust..  Didn’t learn my lesson, went on to work for another company producing asbestos based materials, gaskets, pump and valve seals etc.  I must be fireproof now lol

Rod

Great picture, HB. That diminutive loco will surely add interest to your layout.

After what seemed a hopeless search, some kind chaps advised me where I could buy the pictured USA Class S-100 LMR "Frank S.Ross" loco. The Model Rail's official stockist had sold out on this limited edition engine. After that I also splurged on a somewhat similar Keighley & Worth Valley 0-6-0 tank.

I am delighted with both which run very smoothly as well as looking good. After running in, the K&WVR loco runs about 5% slower than the "Frank S, Ross" which is useful to know when I want to run both on the same DC track simultaneously. Both locos are "medium pace", not unrealistic tearaways./media/tinymce_upload/47d3a1632fcef2c7526e56292de31ce0.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/0419426a412f255aa383d5d4d6e5c0a5.JPG

Just received a couple of gems in absolutely perfect condition - apparently!

The 8F is as preserved, but has accessories fitted, with no front steps, and none available as Hornby accessory parts, so I've ordered brass ones I'll paint, fit and repaint once fitted ... for the front - just completes 'the look'.

The King is NOT QUITE what it will be, which will not quite be as it is now ... I've already got plates and numbers to rename / number as King Edward II.

Thing is this isn't precisely as it is now - that cab and various other parts were 'flattened' to fit the loadgauge where it operates, but I prefer the original version anyway.

Nice little projects.

Assuming they work as anticipated, I'll post photos once completed.

/media/tinymce_upload/0d96d82bd83f85019caf460393fb3fca.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/319cd8f37e575514a2f8c0628ecfe4ce.jpg

Al.

My latest two to enter the 'shed'.

little and large, I am looking for a small face off the Thomas range to stick on the front of the 48 DS shunter.I will use 'buddy stick'.It will look quite cute pulling the Christmas wagons for the little ones this Christmas.

Another face on the Flying Scotsman would make 'Jock' a very smart proud engine on the Sodor layout.

Only joking that one is destined for the 'cool wall'.

/media/tinymce_upload/895caa513dacd5aff5b97f5caff2b46e.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b9803ce8890a8dd5a06d10f387da41a7.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e9cb268efc1a0123b946ef9e95dfdf41.JPG