Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Just bought (another) Adams Radial from OR's eBay site, what a sucker I am though it's a lovely engine, I've got three now, two black and one olive green. It was listed as 'DEAD' and I'm not surprised, it was absolutely swimming in oil. Oil everywhere, on the pickups, wheels, everywhere inside and out. With a good clean and a spray with contact cleaner it is now running. Might have to do some more cleaning but I'll see how it runs in.

Just added another class 90 to my collection. A R593 number 90034 in Mainline Grey

it is one of the scarce / rare older versions that Hornby made. Going on the information in Pat Hammonds book Story of Rovex Vol 3, Hornby made 1600 of R593 the production was however spread over 3 different factory applied numbers 90030 90033 90034 making it about 533 of each version.

Having already brought a 90033 I have got to look out for 90030 to complete the set.

20 wide couplings with Airfix mounts for some Dapol wagon kits I've been building. Most of the intermediate Dapol types broke when I tried to fit them and I found the long wheelbase petrol tankers need something a little wider to prevent de-railing on some parts of my layout.

Last items to arrive have been the last 2 Dapol ICA China clay tanks to finish the set off & a few more Dapol JNA falcon wagons. Got a pair if mk4 coaches arriving with one being the last coach needed to finish the GNER ‘mallard’ set with a additional first class coach fair bit if work to do at it to , the other will be modified to create the TOE for a TFW set.

I have just ordered the 2 new Clan class locos. I never saw any in real life, sadly. I am awaiting the new build Clan 72010 Hengist which seems to be progressing well. Now I have all 5 Hornby versions (or will have by the middle of next week)

My Clans arrived today and the seller has no stock left of one and only 8 of the other. Lucky this time to get a Christmas present for Christmas and not on another day as mostly happens with Hornby. I am still waiting for the Hush Hush which has missed several birthdays and a Christmas along with other important days in my life, over the past 2 years.

Particularly St Meldrews day.innocent

Very nice Bulleidboy

Thanks. It was an Ebay purchase - the loco is based on R3130XS Holland Afrika Line with sound. I need to add crew and the brake rods. The seller has a large collection of M/N for sale, all based on R3130XS - the down side is that some of the loco's using this format, have the wrong tender. I'm not a "rivet counter" but it does look better with the correct tender for the era - in my case 1960/61. There are also a number of West Country locos, based on Crewkerne and Wincanton both XS models. My wallet is locked for the time beingjoy

Have you got the full set yet?
Must be close!
Al.

Hi Al.

I have twenty nine, but today's arrival means I now have both a blue and a green 35005 Canadian Pacific - so the collection is really at twenty eight - two to go! Hornby have never produced a M/N that was based at Salisbury (72B it became 70E in 1963) - so any loco with the correct tender will do, but it will require a new smokebox number.

I have a full list of M/N's and where they were shedded in 1960/61, so when a loco is obtained for renaming/numbering, I try to get a Hornby loco with the correct shed code on the smokebox door (it's one less thing to change). A number of loco's have had their tenders changed, but there were three different tenders and Hornby have only produced two. BB

I've always used Modelmaster Jackson-Evans - who are very good, with the cabside numbers on a green background and their etched nameplates are first class. The problem is the service recently has been a little erratic. My last order, just for a nameplate, never arrived despite an email saying dispatched. If you email you never get a reply and if you telephone the message box is always full. So some renaming may be put on hold for a while.

PS: The nameplate arrived today (20/10), after an email dated 3/9/2021 saying dispatched - may have been an automatic email.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought the Oxford LNER bundle with the Hornby Raven Q6. Excellent value for money, I would highly recommend checking them out if you haven't already. Choice of the Q6, J15 or D16, that come with a random selection of appropriate rolling stock and road vehicles to the period and area.

In my bundle I got the loco, two Oxford open wagons, two cars (unfortunately both the same, but still nice models), three lorries and two express parcels trailers. An excellent job lot in my opinion, I've got enough for my own LNER goods depot now!

Loco is superb as usual from Hornby, despite it being a slightly older model (2014 the designs say).

Best part for me is the value for money. All of that for £150, with an RRP of over £225 apparently. Considering the current RRP for the loco alone is £177 these days, that's pretty good going.

EDIT: just did the maths and the total price of everything except the loco is £81.10, leaving £143.90 of the quoted £225 for the loco. Not sure what the old RRP for the Q6 was, but with Hornby's current RRP at £176.99, that actually makes the total price £258.09. And all that available for only £150 :-D

I ordered a Bachmann class 121 bubble car. It's due for delivery Monday. It's to be fitted with my Marks Train soundscape decoder, which was in my Dapol 121. However that is not a good runner and the soundscape is wasted in it. Bought a Gaugemaster decoder and stay alive. They are fitted in Dapol 121 which now runs ok. Needs tuning for inertia.