Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I believe the main gripe against Heljan is similar to that also aimed at Hornby & Bachmann…

They all produce models with what some people consider to be premium RRPs & yet are all susceptible to ‘Friday afternoon/Monday morning’ models getting to customers.

Some of those who receive these kind of models, instead of accepting that modern QA/QC is not perfect & simply reporting/returning them - seem instead to believe that the perceived premium price should result in customers only ever receiving perfect models.

Since price is so subjective, such perceptions of what is premium & what QA/QC is acceptable must also be similarly subjective.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

I think you've hit the nail on the head there!!

I've a 33, 35, 52, 58 and (latest) 86 - all 5 are firm favourites.

Previously I've also had a Falcon, Lion, DP2 and Kestrel - wish I still had them, particularly the Lion and Kestrel!  They're all superb.

Al.

The 1361 is an endearing little loco. I don't have the Heljan version, merely a knocked about, wrongly assembled and much meddled with white metal and brass kit version that I picked up for a fiver at a train fair, missing a cylinder, half a buffer beam and a lot of other bits. It took a long while to sort it out but I'm glad I did because it really looks the part shunting in a yard. I don't know why it is such a captivating little thing but I could watch it for hours.

7 minutes ago, sir john said:

I have a couple of heljan diesels both run fine but my best heljan product is my indexing turntable it's brilliant never misses a beat 

Yes, if I had space on my layout I think I'd go for one of those too. They really look the part.

I saw this and thought why not! As new, with the outer box still wrapped in tissue. It will receive the HM7000 9F sound profile.

BR Standard 9F as depicted in 2014 on the GCR. It has now been repainted in BR Black. It has also had "several" names - Central Star and Leicester City to name two - both those names are on supplied etched plates - not sure if they will be fitted.

IMG_1752.jpg

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Like 1

Just received some Industrial Loco buffers and boiler fittings plus some 009 boiler fittings from RT Models (nothing to do with my name on this forum!!!! Very quick delivery and very happy with the items PLUS in the same postal delivery some industrial nameplates from Silver Tay models. I was wondering what to name the ‘Big Bagnall’ I got from Oak Hill works but Silver Tay had ‘Courageous’ in their listings which is one of these locos that worked on Preston Docks, problem solved! 

‘Raven’ and ‘Thor’ will probably find their way onto some of the smaller black locos I have recently finished/almost finished! 

I agree with Atom3624 after my last nameplates post. I’m so glad that I can still get parts like this to detail locos as I want them to appear. 

Some of these parts are for my next industrial loco which will be a Smoky Joe Bash (or more correctly an LMS Pug bash) to re-create a loco I used to see regularly in my very young days! I just need to find the time!

IMG_0065.jpeg

On 01/09/2024 at 06:48, Deem said:

I received yesterday a non runner Britannia 7MT, it was sold with bent valve gear. I Straight the valve gear but loco would only run in one direction, backward. On forward direction wheel get stuck and won't move, as I was trying to work out what could be the reason, after few attempt loco started to run in both direction, later I found out that, one of step came off from chassis and got stuck between valve gear, only allowing the movement in one direction. Once the step came out loco ran in both direction.

20240901_063254.thumb.jpg.b98b773b033094edf7a38483ba2af5b7.jpg

What a beautiful loco with so much details, but that's another issue for me, one of the hand rail or part of the hand rail just came off, will try to attempt in day time once I can see better where the holes are for that particular part.

20240901_063304.thumb.jpg.ee5bead7e987280bf189809c7a8f75ac.jpg

20240901_064738.thumb.jpg.b5265431305c00a188fd51c08db9cee8.jpg

This is the which I need to install just above main hand rail, I think that's what it called.

I am struggling to solve the running issue so I thought I ask in the forum and maybe someone may advice which solve my problem. This Loco runs in both direction but speed it runs is different, going backward is faster and smoother at the same throttle of controller compare to going forward. Please see below video, as this loco have so much detail I am reluctant to remove the body to inspect. Is there anything I can do without removing the body? I have cleaned the wheels and lubricated all parts but still no improvement. It is better than few days ago but not to my satisfaction.

How to prove it I'm not certain, but I think this relates to the motor and mounting of same.

You will notice there is a little 'slop' of the commutator / worm shaft in the motor.

My guess is when going forwards, whichever way this rotation is, perhaps the worm is catching part of the casings holding the motor in place?

I would guess it does relate to a little slop in the shaft, which moves (perhaps) the worm against something, which creates a persistent drag, exaggerated at low power.

Al.

Thanks @What About The BeeOne side rod is dead straight but other side, which was bent, obviously won't be straight but they aren't binding or touching anything which may cause the slow down of the wheels.@atom3624 advice makes more sense to me as well but I am very reluctant to open the body to inspect the motor. Unless I can see a video someone else removing the body of this particular loco which will give me confidence to attempt.

@Deem are the pistons straight & moving true/free? or are they binding on the cylinder case?  If they are catching/binding and the loco’s original owner used more power to overcome the resistance, that could have caused the side rod(s) to bend in the first place.  If it were a motor/gear binding issue it wouldn’t necessarily cause the rods to bind & bend.

25 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@Deem are the pistons straight & moving true/free? or are they binding on the cylinder case?  If they are catching/binding and the loco’s original owner used more power to overcome the resistance, that could have caused the side rod(s) to bend in the first place.  If it were a motor/gear binding issue it wouldn’t necessarily cause the rods to bind & bend.

Thanks @LTSR_NSE, I will have another look in a little while, but my logic tells me that it was one of step which came off the loco and got stuck which cause the bent in rod, "what seller had described was that loco move backward but not forward, also one side rod is bent" based on that I think it may well be motor, trying to move the gear only when going forward position but unsuccessfuly and causing damage to motor. I could be wrong, but I will check first thing what you have stated to rule out one thing at a time.

If it is one of the coupling rods that is still bent, but still linking the driving wheels, it could be that the original event that caused the rod(s) to bend also very slightly displaced one of the wheels on its axle putting the quartering out.  Some locos are less tolerant of this than others and only a marginal movement may be causing the tight spot showing on each revolution.  All three crank pins on each side should be exactly in line. 

2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

If still bent as GS mentions, this could cause this.  If you invert, rest on a foam / cushioning piece - take care of the whistle - then you can power from the tender wheels and observe for 'strange / excessive movement'.

Al.

I just did that and I am uploading the video