Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Not a train, but a book about the history of Triang Spot-On and associated products. In it was a description of the Arkitex building kits available in Spot-On 1:42 scale but ALSO in Triang Railways 1:76 scale. The range was bigger than I originally thought.

Has anyone out there still got any Arkitex?

Remind me what Arkitex is - was it those bases with lethal steel vertical rods that you slotted bricks into to build houses and had varios sizes of hipped roofs to go on top of the walls. ? Or was that Beiko sp ?   

Arkitex turns up in a local auction a lot, it was a popular range. Willingham auction had a massive box of it a few weeks ago, it didn't used to fetch anything money wise but the last year or so prices have started to move upwards. Kenner also made something similar called a girder and panel system.

Arkitex was available in 1/42 scale and 00/HO scale made in Belfast in the Spot-on Factory owned by Tri-ang which closed primarily due to the troubles.

That was Bako

I do have quite a lot of Bayko. It is slightly bigger in scale to Arkitex 1:42, nearer Gauge 1, but still fun to play with. Originally it was made of Bakerlite a very brittle self coloured hard plastic (hence the name). Originally manufactured by Plympton it was bought out by Meccano shortly before they went under.

I also have a bit of 'Brickplayer', another construction toy which uses real terracotta bricks which were stuck together with mortar made from something that looked like wallpaper paste. Windows and doors were plastic and roofs were cardboard.

Somehow Lego doesn't quite do it for me when compared to these.

Hi LC&DR

At least you got the spelling right, which is more that I did (as pointed out by friend (?) WTD). I didn't know of the Bakelite connection - mine was plastic. As an aside, did you know there is a museum, dedicated to Bakelite, at Williton, on the West Somerset Railway?

I also remember Brickplayer - an induction course for trainee 'brickies', perhaps?

Treated myself to 12 conflats from Bachmann and 5 Dapol BR (ex LMS) kits to go with my BR (ex LMS)  12 wheel maroon dining car.

Are they the non corridor coaches Vespa?

No these are the corridor coaches in BR maroon. I have a set in carmine and cream and thought they looked fine. I had fun painting the interiors and detailing those with HMRS transfers.I also fitted the bogies with 14mm metal wheels. This lot are getting the same treatment plus "The Lakes Express" coach boards.  I also have the non corridor stock made from kits and detailed. At £10 per coach I think that they are value for money and look very good.

My new LBSCR E4 arrived from Liverpool this afternoon. It is now being 'run-in' . What a lovely model. Pre-Grouping liveries are really splendid. Shame more pre-grouping stuff (including rolling stock), is not available RTR. (Hint, Hint Hornby)

Treated myself to 12 conflats from Bachmann and 5 Dapol BR (ex LMS) kits to go with my BR (ex LMS)  12 wheel maroon dining car.

Are they the non corridor coaches Vespa?

No these are the corridor coaches in BR maroon. I have a set in carmine and cream and thought they looked fine. I had fun painting the interiors and detailing those with HMRS transfers.I also fitted the bogies with 14mm metal wheels. This lot are getting the same treatment plus "The Lakes Express" coach boards.  I also have the non corridor stock made from kits and detailed. At £10 per coach I think that they are value for money and look very good.

I have a couple of the non corridor coaches, like you say they a terrific value.