Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Today I got my Crosti 2-10-0 from Hornby, looks excellent and runs very well indeed. Captures the look of the original's brutal outline. Hard to believe it is a RailRoad series model. I guess they vie for the 'Ugly Engine'  prize and certainly give the Q1 an edge.

A few days back I bought some OO9 coach and wagon kits from the FR shop at Porthmadog. I may try and make a small portable OO9 layout this winter.

Oddly enough I saw both the 'DELTIC' and my first and only Crosti on the same day. A cold winter's day with snow lying I visited Neasden, where I saw the DELTIC running light from the train, and then West Hampstead Midland where I saw a Crosti on freight.

Four Hornby Maunsell corridor carriages in Crimson Lake and Cream (Lancing works description I hasten to add!) bought from the Hornby website  'Last Chance to Buy' 0ffer. Plus another Bachmann SECR C class, for renumbering from Monk Bar. Also just informed that an LTE Bo-Bo No 8 "Sherlock Holmes" is en-route from Liverpool.

Five dapol suburban coaches plus five sets of Bachmann bogies so a 3 coach set and a 2coach set which will be a push pull set with the aid of wizard  parts also five sets of under floor detail sets.

Plus 3 Bachmann suburban coaches. 

Just a 4 hornby suburbans set  to get next.

All to go with my ex-LNWR local set

A Superquick Terminus starion building kit that is now about 2/3 constructed - excellent model. I have one I made into a through version but its 20 years old at least and was looking tired and I needed it to be a terminus this time and could not convert it back.

Oddly enough I made the same mistake as I did first time around. On the curtains I failed to read that you cut out the black bits in the middle thinking it was there to represent a darkened room - until I got to the ladies waiting room one where I then noticed the  intruction on the card.l looked on the old one and I had done exactly the same ! 

Plus a SQuick Island platform kit  and a Peco surface mounting for a point motor.

I am thinking hard about the bundle of maroon MK1 s - 6 for about £75 - seems too good to be true at £12.50 each. 

A really good day at York Toyfair.

Two Tri-ang TT 0-6-0s (one diesel one steam) and some TT catalogues (1957, 1959 and 1960 with price lists) and a huge sack of type A track in mixed condition (A sackful of track for £2, can't be bad!! Bought sight unseen, but from a reasonably reliable source, there will be something worth salvaging.).

A Triang Princess loco only - for spares including a complete X04.

Two HD Traffic Services tank wagons

Three original and boxed Trix DMU (TransPenine class 124) coaches to complete my unit.

A 'Dartford 1963' limited edition 'bus set

A Bayko Set with a selection of instruction books

Some new empty locomotive storage boxes.

Some HD three rail large radius curves.

Undoubtedly, however I don't have a horse and cart ...................yet!

I do like to recondition old model trains and when one is dealing with stuff that is 50 years old canabalisation is often the only way to make one good one out of half a dozen bad'ns.

£4 got me a Triang Princess loco. The cellulose acetate body was broken, and the valve gear rusted up, but the X04 was both good and had a pair of carbon brushes in virtually unworn condition. The carbon brushes alone will repay the investment. However once freed from the rusty chassis and some light lubrication the motor ran perfectly, so that is another X04 added to my  reserve supply. Of the chassis the cylinder block (apart from the slide bars)  and motion bracket are fine and the driving wheels and pinion gear are fine too. Unbroken CA cylinders are not that easy to come by, so these will undoubtedly restore something else in future.

The £2 sack of track revealed a load of type A TT track, about 50% of which can be made usable. This includes 12 points, of which about half are salvagable and the rest will provide spares.

One disappointment was the TT locos. The diesel had been dropped and broken the nearside front step and bent the securing screw, which had a worn slot and wouldn't turn. The steam loco was a non-runner, the motor is probably burnt out. However I have removed the bent screw after drilling the head off, and substituted the one from the steam loco. The step has been replaced with plastic strip, and when hard will be touched up with paint.  The steam loco will now await another one to provide a working motor or I may try and get the armature rewound.

R2925 Clam Macgregor fitted with after-market sound decoder and some wagons.

To make up for that on-line auction site not allowing a further postage discount he threw in some more near new and new wagons and a Tornado with issues.

Tornado turns out to be R3245. Yes TTS. Four extra wagons and a TTS for $12.50. Very generous.

I will post more about this loco in the DCC section as it needs help.