Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

Nice BB. Shouldn’t the top of the third rail be sort of greasy black? 

Thanks Roger and yes WTD it should. I had a look at the 3rd rail in Basingstoke Station ther other day, and they are as you say "greasy black" - I can add some black to the top of the rail - not sure about greasy.

Hi bulleidboy

Looking very good I think I would try the wax crayon on a bit of scrap and if it works go with that it will look greasy.

If you really want real masochism you could always add a surface tube tine with both conductor rails 😆

regards John

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/634bdb87a72d0715116c61e5ac213382.jpg

R9257 Spencer, pulling his coaches (R9702 and R9703).

To the left of Spencer, you can see a bit of R9303 Thomas the Tank Engine 70th Anniversary Limited Edition, R9231 Emily and R9232 Edward.

To the right of Spencer, you can see R3057 Class 92 Stobart Rail 92017 'Bart the Engine' and R382 Duck, who is next to the track.

More to come soon!  😉 😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

/media/tinymce_upload/050e1251cc44aa0ed3e7d23dea05a0d2.JPG

R9049 Henry the Green Engine. Behind Hnery, my Crewe Country Station Signal Box can be seen.

To the left of the signal box, is part of R9257 Spencer can be seen with his R9702 Spencer's Composite Coach. To the right Spencer, is part of R2375 Class 06 Virgin Trains Diesel Mechanical Shunter.

To the right of the signal box, is part of R2783 Class 06 Pullman 06008 Diesel Mechanical Shunter and some of my Dapol and Hornby Virgin Trains Wagons.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

/media/tinymce_upload/660e8c0b7d0dfd94e6548a931ec6fdd5.JPG

Left to right: R9684 Murdoch and R9683 Dart.

To the left of Murdoch, part of Bachmann 42444 Cranky the Crane's tower and platform can be seen.

To the right of Dart, two of my three R9237 Cream Utility Wagon's can be seen, off the track.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

So I think it’s been a pretty long while since I last posted anything on the forums, particularly on the topic of my layout progress. Sadly, other commitments got the better of me, along with the cold weather and just a general uncertainty as to where to take the layout next; so little was done since last update.

Fortunately, some new ideas had excited me to continue the layout again, with the pictures below being the result so far. It’s not much, as it’s difficult to get much done on a given day due to current circumstances, but its slowly coming along again. Main addition is the scenery on the other side of the station, particularly featuring a Bachmann water column tower that was kindly donated from a friend. 

Still, there is much to do, including: redesign of fiddle yard to include headshunt for slightly more shunting opportunities; relocation of signals (fixed in the wrong direction for silly reasons that I up to this point overlooked); removal of trees for better versions (whether premade or custom again), in response to previous criticism; track weathering on branchline; various other miscellaneous tasks.

Anyway, enjoy :)

/media/tinymce_upload/d9e25cecf3162e77f92b69be5af75f40.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9b3eb1521648d0a969fa2aa6562185ee.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/be985a7111079da4f0a45eb021bb8db4.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/db8a456a6832819afd236d7d79d12573.jpg

Thanks for the great comments.

About the curved point on the right, I think this was one of my first regrets on the layout. Back in the design phase, I had the fixed mindset of basing the layout off the original Hornby trakmat plan (the ‘dream’ layout back when I was younger), which meant installing a curved point somewhere, which now upon reflection, was an arbitrary decision. The mistake was installing the point on the third radius curve (thinking the point had a universal fit regardless of radius), which explains for the somewhat asymmetric track geometry as seen in the photo. It looked acceptable to me on my original SCARM trackplan at the beginning, so I stuck with the design without much thought or bother.

It‘s an aspect of the layout that I‘ve grown to just tolerate now, since I dont think I can really do anything about it at this stage, and the trains and stock I own were able to smoothly run over it in both directions back in previous testing. As I acquire more, I’ll call continue to bear the point in mind. It’s a future mistake that I ensure to avoid for any future and larger layout, perhaps by avoiding curved points completely, with more careful planning, research and thought made before laying any track.

I think if there’s ever a thread on ‘what not to do’ for beginners, my layout would be the prefect case study haha.

Cheers.