Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

@Jimbopuff I don’t know much about palm trees, although I’m sure I’ve seen a few of certain species, among other sub tropical plants, dotted about up in Durham county, where I live. I suppose anything can be grown anywhere in the UK at least if kept indoors. The most common species growing along the south west coast is named cabbage-palm or Torbay/Torquay palm, although this isn’t a true palm tree. The island of Scilly off of Cornwall is a thriving area for palm trees as well. Makes me want to visit the place.

Bit off topic, but thought it was an interesting bit of research when looking up palms for my layout. Anyway, thanks  😀

Now I just need to think of a house to go with the garden. Haven’t made a final decision, but that Hornby Skaledale White Cliffs Cottage (R8547) is very much what I had in mind for a house. Need to add more general trees to the garden area for privacy and the overall layout, but think I’ll leave them last. Don’t want to overdo it, and trees seem to be the one thing I’m not very good at.

The cars on your layout suggest a 60's-70's period. Superquick do a nice kit of 2 Tudor-style cottages for around £7 if you feel like a bit of assembly.   Very easy to put together and might not be out of place. Or?   Just a suggestion, of course.

Thanks for the information on cabbage-palms.  I planted three coconut palms in N. Thailand about ten years ago - one of which has survived and is yielding a lot of coconuts, I believe, but I know very little about trees, I must confess.

• 4 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/60867d98dbe1ba6bf5f756961d4e952c.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/d68378be4e0a74e4457b6d46d39e7b06.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/09a026d06a7b4cb2a1299baee3df0b4f.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/36e4c33a9d78be89b79bb1dde0971e8a.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/22c2473377c95759ba18dc58fa1f7161.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/7f1ed3f0d9842037b9c70a145d42893b.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/084141d3c1093e99e929605a81714536.JPG

I’ve made some progress on my layout over the winter. The main item is the power bus and dropper wires of which there are no pictures !!!. This is an ongoing exercise and is fairly boring so I try and alternate the jobs I do when I have the time. I’ve also been making the rock faces and have started applying those but still need to make more and fill in the gaps with some plaster.     As you can see from the pictures the upper lever track and inclines are all laid and I can run a couple of locos around and up and down. The lower section still needs some thought and I have placed random items to give me an idea what might be possible. I’m hoping to have one side with various sidings etc … that I can use for shunting while the larger locos are on the outer loops.    Originally it was going to be a Thomas layout for the kids but it has taken me so long they have lost interest. So I’m testing with Thomas items but also a Virgin Pendolino and a Class 395. The longer platform is long enough for the Pendolino and it can also traverse all the points and curves forwards and backwards. I still intend to include various Thomas locations but also items that interest me. So there is the Duke of Wellington pub and the airfield and Spitfire (this is not in any of the pictures).    I’ve not had too many problems with the incline. Both the Pendolino and Class 395 needed the traction tyres fitted properly. I’ve installed the DCC Concepts power base under the track in case I do need it for some locomotives at a later date. Most locos make it up with 3 carriages no problem, although a couple get to the bottom and just give up in an instant.   I’ve found the Woodland Scenics Sub Terrain Lightweight System to be expensive but also really easy to use. I’ve been buying items for several years which does spread the cost. And with being in the conservatory I can’t make a mess. So the heated wire cutter is brilliant for making base structures with no mess. I’ve being playing with shaper sheet and it does seem easy to use and very quick.   The wife and kids are away during the Easter holidays so I’m hoping to get the lower level tracks laid, start some ballasting and fit a couple of point motors. As well as continue with the dropper wires and rock faces, as always there is plenty to get on with.    Having never built a layout before I’m still enjoying it but I think the ballasting could break me. 

Hi m_duck

That looks to be coming along nicely.

Ballasting is a nesasary evil no one likes it much,

Just take your time be very fussy about it and make sure it sticks down properly and take care around points.

regards John

Very good layouts all. It's a good space you've got there m_duck, I enjoy Thomas layouts and spotting all the recognisable features.

Yes, ballasting I've found to be very untidy, however good results. We're having some building work done and the breeze blocks left a lot of dust, which is actually perfect for ballast! I lay it loose between the foam underlay of the tracks and it looks quite effective in my opinion. The underlay itself is less effective however.

• 3 weeks later...

Both m-duck’s layout and the one created by ‘ speedtriple’ are great to view.  Well done to both of you.  My layout is also in the conservatory, consisting of around 3 metres of Kato track!  I call it ‘window-by-the-sill’.  The cat loves it (I think). She certainly tries to ‘stroke‘ a loco as it goes by in a push and pull fashion lol.  One day, perhaps, I will be able to find somewhere to have a proper layout

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...