Locomotive direction

This was a known issue some time ago but not sure how it can be so for some and not others. 

Certainly if you put the decoder plug into the DCC socket the wrong way around, it will reverse loco direction but should do so whether Elite or RM so don't think it will fix the problem. Also, if it is back to front in the socket, other functions like lights will not work correctly as for a start the blue common is in the wrong place. If the chip is hard wired, you can try swapping the orange and grey wires by re soldering. 

But is there anyone else who has had this problem have a solution?  I thought HRMS was looking at it?

Could you give us some more information regarding which loco's are going in reverse (and how the decoders have been fitted), because as Fishy says, it sounds like the Orange and Grey wires need swopping over, although this is unlikely if the decoder has simply been inserted into the socket of a DCC ready loco.

all the above answers are of course valid, however perhaps a simpler answer is available... If a diesel, is the roof fan at the 'front' of the engine - this would indicate the direction of travel to be forwards... If an emu or dmu ten simply change the whole unit round! 

If a steam engine.. then the original answers come into play 

Te easiest thing to do to correct this is to change the direction bit in CV29 using Railmaster. Go to the locomotive CV settings page, read CV29, double click the 'value' field for CV29, then tick or clear "reverse direction" depending on its current setting. Once you then have written this new value to the decoder the loco's direction should be reversed. I've assumed you are familiar with reading / writing CV's, if not post back.

The only downside to this method is that if you ever run the loco on DC, its direction would be reversed again, hence the purist view is to swap the orange and grey motor wires over. Personally I don't do this as DC operation is permanently disabled anyway.

Not good news! It may be worth reading CV29 when things revserse. I have known it to get "reset" to 000 after short circuits which reverses the direction if previously set to 003 or 007.

Other than that, I've never know RM do this, really strange!

The roof vent is only a useful convention; after all diesel and electric locos, railcars and DMUs/EMUs are designed to run both ways equally well (although with some difficulty as in class 20, which current operators try to avoid running nose first).  I like to switch running lights on which if the model has directional lights is a better way of confirming which way the loco is likely to go! :-)

Yes I appreciate that Idlemarvel - but I dont have lights on mine. I think I will just have to try to remember to look underneath and adopt a "rule" for myself about which end is forward based on the Hornby CE labelling and an odd small yellow dot which has been painted on (previous owner having the same confusion?) Anyway, thanks for the input. R-

'In a few days'? This was stated on the 2nd September above... so it should be released... TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 'few' means 3 technically speaking so as it is now the 5th September and my daughter's b'day then it it is good timing... hurrah...

Which, of course, means we could still be waiting next week... but so what!!! :-) It'll be here when it's here... :-)

Archived