Wishlist for 2016/2017

LCDR

My vote would be the ex GER LNER B12 and the LNER D49.

I presume you are asking for new tooling, because both of these have been available from Hornby for quite a long time. The B12/3 actually dates back to Tri-ang days and has been in production on and off since the 1960s!.

Yes, new tooling. I have an old Hornby Dublo B12 and an older O guage D49 which were my Grandad's. Would love the two in OO brought up to today's standards, although the eastern region had done well recently (or will do when they arrive) so I'm not going to hold my breath.

The D49 would certainly benefit from a make-over, and if possible alternative fittings so that models of both Shire and Hunt class were possible. For its age the B12 wasn't too bad, but is sadly lagging behind nowadays. I still have my Tri-ang one with moulded handrails.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I presume you are asking for new tooling, because both of these have been available from Hornby for quite a long time. The B12/3 actually dates back to Tri-ang days and has been in production on and off since the 1960s!.

Yes, new tooling. I have an old Hornby Dublo B12 and an older O guage D49 which were my Grandad's. Would love the two in OO brought up to today's standards, although the eastern region had done well recently (or will do when they arrive) so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hi Cooped

The Great Eastern and Great Central sections have/about to have done quite well the last couple of years, with Hornby doing the GE and Bachmann doing the GC.

The O1 is a common type for the southern section of the old LNER whilst Heljan are doing the O2 for the same area. The new K1 can be used in Scotland and the North Eastern area but along with the Bachmann J72, that's yer lot  for those areas. I've ignored the Hornby LNER tank since that was not even up to the standards of the time when it was introduced!!!

So the Scottish and North Eastern areas of the LNER are desperately in need of attention.

Hi Cooped

The Great Eastern and Great Central sections have/about to have done quite well the last couple of years, with Hornby doing the GE and Bachmann doing the GC.

The O1 is a common type for the southern section of the old LNER whilst Heljan are doing the O2 for the same area. The new K1 can be used in Scotland and the North Eastern area but along with the Bachmann J72, that's yer lot  for those areas. I've ignored the Hornby LNER tank since that was not even up to the standards of the time when it was introduced!!!

So the Scottish and North Eastern areas of the LNER are desperately in need of attention.

I'm sure you're right PP, but being an Essex lad.......

I've already said elsewhere, PP, that loads of people like me down here never reached that wild territory, so....no memories, no buy.

I want more "proper sound" locos, but fear Hornby have more or less abandoned plans for them, only producing TTS ones which are OK but just not as good.

Well I'm wishing again, like some others, for a Merchant Navy in orginal condition, Turbomotive and rebuilt Patriot in LMS livery. The way things have been going lately, someone is bound to produce these first two eventually. The Patriot seems to be an obvious one for Hornby to do but as yet, no luck.

Hi Cooped

PP, as you know I have some sympathy for the plight of NE modellers and agree they have had a rough deal, but are you not overlooking the Bachmann V1 / V3 which were undoubtedly NE and ScR types?  They were never seen in the London Area or in East Anglia after 1948 (there were a few at Stratford and Norwich for a few years in early BR days, until replaced by L1s, but most of them were either around Glasgow and Edinburgh or on Tyneside).

The J94 was very much a North Eastern type with nearly all attached to NER sheds.

Not a lot of comfort I know but with a mix of other standard types (e.g. V2, B1, K1, J39, O6 (WD), L1) a representation of the NER ought to be just possible. Until Bachmann introduced their C I have had to do the same to get a representative selection of South Eastern types using standard SR locomotives (N, N15, V, L1, Q1), none of which were exclusive to the South Eastern Section. I have more or less resigned myself to kit bashing to get what I need in future.

Let us hope you will be lucky and get at least a G5 before much longer.

Hi LC&DR

You're right - I did forget the V1/V3!!

However, the C helps stamp South Eastern section, although you could do with more, rather than merely Southern Region. In the same way, as you know, I would like a couple of items to say North Eastern region  rather than just ex-LNER.

I've got the consolation, though, that I'm only 67 so there is still time to get some of what I want (I hope!!!)

I've already said elsewhere, PP, that loads of people like me down here never reached that wild territory, so....no memories, no buy.

I want more "proper sound" locos, but fear Hornby have more or less abandoned plans for them, only producing TTS ones which are OK but just not as good.

Hi Graskie

Quote "I've already said elsewhere, PP, that loads of people like me down here never reached that wild territory, so....no memories, no buy"

You can turn your quote on it's head - I only travelled the GC once and I've never been further than Ipswich on the GE mail line, although I once travelled the East Suffolk line to Lowestoft. So I didn't know them at all.

Really all I'm saying is the GC and GE have been looked at, how about giving someone else a fair 'crack of the whip'. The GW have had every major class done - some may need improving but at least they've been done!!

"

Hi LC&DR

You're right - I did forget the V1/V3!!

However, the C helps stamp South Eastern section, although you could do with more, rather than merely Southern Region. In the same way, as you know, I would like a couple of items to say North Eastern region  rather than just ex-LNER.

I've got the consolation, though, that I'm only 67 so there is still time to get some of what I want (I hope!!!)

Would the G5 do this or would a D20 or one or two of the typical NER 0-6-0s or 0-8-0s be a better bet? When I worked in the Newcastle Traffic Control the old hands who had been there in steam days the B16s and Q6s were the types they spoke most often. The B16s frequently in a derogatory way as the reckoned they were unreliable steamers and if York put a B16 on a down main line goods they were almost certain to incur delays! The Q6 on the other hand were regarded as fiendish workhorses, especially in the hands of a Mineral crew on bonus! Personally I would love to own a model of a Q6, I'd bend a point (maybe the NER loaned a couple to the Southern for Kent Coast coal??!) and have one on my roster.

What about a set of skaledale platform that is half the current length.

A RETOOL of the DCC Loco/Tender lead and slot, just make it easier to connect it.

New manual turntable.

New BB/West Country's (Both Re-Built/ Non); e.g. 92 Squadron, Sir Keith Park, Eddystone, Yeovil, Wilton, Weymouth and Chard.

GWR/BR County Class - E.g.1014

SR/BR Bullied coaches

LSWR/SR/BR (S) Ironclads

BR Maunsell coaches

BR (Ex-GWR) Mogo vans

Southern Region prototype Diesel

GWR/BR railcar

Devon Belle pullman, a remake of about 5 years ago.

Hi LC&DR

The G5 would be a start and with a Q6 would go a long way to stamping NER. Add a B16, J21, A8 and D20 and there would be no doudt where a layout was set.!!!

I am glad I am not the only one with ambition!! (Don't you like the J27?)

Why? Peco as that market nailed.  And even if they did what code rail should be used. Plus how many poor newbies would be on here asking whys my train not working etc. 

Have a look at tilling if you want some more realistic track. Ok its HO but so's hornby really

Why? Because it's time Hornby caught up. They could easily improve on the cumbersome Peco designs. All those seperate pieces of rail and complicated wiring to get things to work. :-p

Peco don't make a space saving scissors crossover in 00 gauge, so Hornby would be the first.

Code 100 of course.

£100.00? Nah. Shinohara Code 100 Scissors Crossing (No.4 rad) £37.00, (No.6 rad) £40.00.

That's cheaper than you can do it using four Hornby points and the diamond crossing required.

I am 100% with you on this one, a Scissors crossover would be a godsend for people building layouts with limited room.  I remember the beautifully compact Wrenn scissors, years before the Japanese introduced theirs.

I would also suggest a double junction (another now lost Wrenn formation) with 2nd and 3rd radius turnouts as a great space-saver on more complex layouts. In this case left and right hand variations would be required.

Archived