New Models from Hornby (and Water Troughs)

10 Class

When are Hornby going  to introduce something different for a change?

Nothing but the same old dreary lot of A1 Flying Scotsman's, A4's, Duchess's, 0-6-0's etc, even Triang had a more interesting range! (Bring back the Transcontinental series).

What about a LNER/LMS Garratt or LMS Turbomotive 6202 or something from Ireland!

Lets add a decent Turntable and some Water Troughs

Although it doesn't matter too much to us in Australia, as the items take forever to arrive, if they turn up at all!

Still waiting on the 2015 year wagon.

Cheers

A1 (Tornado)  T9 P2 L1 72xx Clan 4MT Star Crosti  to name but a few not to mention the EMU's are things tick off many people's whish list. only a few years ago give Hornby a break there doing great. 

Most of what you suggested is already available you just need to look for it.

Turbomotive kits are available to use with a princess class.

Sorry poliss, you've got me. What is a cream tea in a freight yard?

And just in case you were wondering, Apostrophe Man is still alive and well in Australia, although clearly asleep at the wheel. Or maybe he is still at the Pedantry Convention?

You don't have to buy from Hornby. I reckon they make a good range and with the other companies there's a terrific range. Shop around, I do. God forbid they just make the stuff from the Tri-ang catalogue. 

I know i don't have to buy from Hornby, and i buy from many other manufactures in all gauges, i just wish they would make something different for a change, and where do i get a Turbomotive body/kit please? (Never seen one in Australia yet)

Thanks for you time to reply!

Today's Hornby catalogue must have ten times as many items as the Tri-ang ones.

What did the 2015 wagon order? A cream tea? ;-)

The 2015 wagon ordered a frustrated customer from Australia (Which it has got), without the Cream Tea of course - YUK.

Thank you for you efforts to reply!

Hi

I agree with Class 10 on some of his points like Hornby should bring back water troughs in line side accessories and some of the older models like gate keepers hut.

Bring back transcontiental range I totally agree with, either in the UK range or in the international section range keeping it in the 1/76 OO scale rather than the 1/87 HO scale as it was made for both UK and overseas markets of Canada, Australia and New Zeland. Introduce new modern locos and rolling stock and liveries. 

Why not put this in the wish list section. 

I dont remember them them making water troughs. They would be worth reintroducing. Pretty easy to make using plasticard I guess. 

To be honest I don't  want them to reintroduce any locos and rolling stock from the Triang days, it looks pretty naff compared to modern items. My Triang Princess Elizabeth was aweful, I did love it at the time though. 

Trouble is you need a long long straight for troughs. No point in them being short. 

In OO probably something to the order of about 40ft (that's a figure I just thought of, not a fact)

I agree with you re the old Triang stuff although there were some nice models in the early/mid 60s, such as the L1, EM2 and, not quite so good, Britannia and the B12 (the B12 is the one in the current catalogue)

I could fit one of those in no problem if I were to do a Nullabor model. Two terminuses, Perth and Port Augusta, and not much problem with dead frog points. Just hang on while I go out and check how long the back wall of the garage is again.

Personally I think that the four big players, Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan have done us proud over the last few years, and then there are the small manufacturers, DJM and Oxford Rail coming 'up on the rails' so as to speak. The number of retailers too who are sponsoring limited edition models is remarkable. I remember only too clearly when we were grateful to get a couple of brand new models a year from Triang, and one about every 24 months from Hornby Dublo.

It is always frustrating if you have a particular favourite locomotive which you would like to own but no-one makes it. I waited 40 years for someone to make my own particular favourite (bless you Bachmann),

Lineside accessories are not just the province of the mainstream train makers, but there are a host of small suppliers who are keen to sell you something. Look at the advertisement pages of the Railway Modeller or Hornby Magazines, they occupy over half the publication and are full of small dealer and manufacturer advertisements.

Then of course there are always opportunities to Do It Yourself, especially with scenic items. When I started in this hobby that was really the only way you could fill your layout with scenery. Who now remembers 'Biltezee' card buildings? The quantities of brick paper, Cornflakes packets, paper mache and chicken wire I used had to be seen to be believed! Nowadays the range of highly detailed resin buildings, scatter materials, foliage kits etc. result in very little that actually has to be made from household 'junk'.

Water Troughs can be made from plastic U section such as that supplied by Evergreen, painted in rusty brown , and filled with the model water that one can buy, hardly a difficult task.  Actually to model the troughs you also need the water softener building and tanks, water storage tank and pumping station, the lineside signs and the sleeper boarding to prevent track damage where the scoops first go in.  I have yet to see an installation correctly modelled.  Fortunately the Southern didn't have any!

Gents, why bother with scaling up the water troughs, as nothing else is to scale on anybody's layout. (That i know of, except maybe the odd one or two items of rollingstock - with screw couplers of course)

You know, train, platforms lengths, tunnels and of course the curve radii etc, with none to scale as you don't have the space!

Next thing you blokes will want water scoops on your tenders and automatic Staff/Tablet exchangers at your crossing loops, however, if all else fails, you could slip in a short water trough here and there just to represent a water trough. (Don't put any scale water in the troughs though - could be electrifying)

Thanks for your efforts!

Cheers

Archived