TTS version of the Franco Crosti Boiler 9F

dynax

I'm not bothered about them putting TTS sound in it, but it would be nice if Hornby could bring out a fine detail version of the Crosti. I saw all 10 of the real thing shedded at nearby Wellingborough when they were laid up in preparation for conversion to conventional operation.

I'm more than happy with the detail of the Crosti. Looking at the model from a kit builder modeler I can see some room for improvement. Some lamp irons, better front steps could also be fitted but this could reduce turning curve! Both simple to do. Thinning/replacing the pipe work under the cab on the right but not essential. The breaks are missed but with the room available understandable. The one thing I did do was remove that handle on the top of the smoke box on the left side which shouldn't be there.

I'd prefer a proper full-range sound chip installed, I'm not too keen on the TTS.

it would suit my budget as well as many others i imagine, not everyone can afford to have digital sound decoders fitted to their locos, the tts covers a basic need of sound that people can afford within reason, barring 4 of my stock all the rest are tts and 2 of the 4 i have without will be upgraded, namely the flying scotsman and tornado which were both part of sets,

Mike.

• 6 months later...

Three weeks ago I placed an advance order at eHattons for R3396TTS, and was told an expected delivery date of May 2016. Yesterday I received an email from them saying that "... the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Wednesday 30th November 2016"   🫨

Ray

• 2 years later...

Can anyone advise where Hornby have located the TTS decoder in the boiler space - I have purchased a TTS decoder (presumably removed froma R3396TTS model) to fit my R3274 model and spac eis very tight.

Looking at service sheet 414 I would say the decoder socket has been moved into the tender and the wiring altered to include a plug and socket across the Loco-tender gap.

Rob

Archived