What's on your workbench?

81F

A 'working' canal would make a very interesting add-on to a layout, and I have seen model lakes with rowing boats and swans  that move as well. (Suggestion for a special Skaledale model perhaps??)

Somewhere on the forums there was a link to a 1000th scale track (whole board was smaller than an iPad) worked by magnets on the loco, carriages, cars, people, cows, etc and an inductive loop pcb.

Given the basic track expansion kit system you could make anything move.

Wish I could find the link again. . . . 

I would have been delighted but the chuff rate is about a quarter of what it should be ...

I wonder if the 2P's bigger driving wheels might explain the difference with the "Chuff" rate? Also I wonder what they used for the sound as their are no 2Ps left

@Raf

Somewhere on the forums there was a link to a 1000th scale track (whole board was smaller than an iPad) worked by magnets on the loco, carriages, cars, people, cows, etc and an inductive loop pcb.

Given the basic track expansion kit system you could make anything move.

Wish I could find the link again.

Not the link but this youtube vid is the same thing, I think.  

Just converted an old class 37 (37 130 in BR blue) to DCC. A great thing about large diesels is that there's plenty of room inside to store the decoder! I still have a few tank engines to do so I'll probably try and get a 4 pin decoder for each of them.

The four pin decoder (used for sentinals etc) is a bout the same size as the normal (not saphire) hornby one but with less wires so there may not be much difference between removing all but the red, black, grey and pink wires on the normal decoder.

I've also found that 6pin arn't much smaller if you fit a socket but there are some decoders described by their manufacturer as "very small" which are significantly smaller. What tank locos are you trying to chip?

I've got a GWR 101, 2 GWR pannier tanks (5700 and 9400 class) and a BR diesel 08 class (needs complete re-fit before anything else) in line for converting to DCC. All are Hornby except 9400, which is Lima. All are from the 70s/80s and could do with a good clean and lubrication. What I have done in the past is used the 4pin decoder and sometimes shortened or lengthened the wires to fit in other tank engines such as the Terrier and another 101 (both recent Hornby models but still not DCC ready).

Hi guy's

Does building the actual workbench count I am at the moment building a 1200 X 2400 workbench to facilitate the start of construction

of the once in a lifetime huge dream model railway.

Building that is rather a scary proposition when your current layout is only 4'6" square and all other layouts have been in the order of        6 X 4 and 8 X 4. or derivatives there of

regards John

I've got a GWR 101, 2 GWR pannier tanks (5700 and 9400 class) and a BR diesel 08 class (needs complete re-fit before anything else) in line for converting to DCC. All are Hornby except 9400, which is Lima. All are from the 70s/80s and could do with a good clean and lubrication. What I have done in the past is used the 4pin decoder and sometimes shortened or lengthened the wires to fit in other tank engines such as the Terrier and another 101 (both recent Hornby models but still not DCC ready).

The 94XX like most Lima locos is very straight forwardsince the wires from the pickups to the motor can be easily unsoldered and the DCC chip solderedf in it's place. The only thing is the pannier is a bit all or nothing as far as speed control is concerned

Quite a lot...! Still building the new "G" shape layout to go round the edges of the room. Here is the 16 arch viaduct that will be a removable 2.5m long section, and my modified Hornby turntable - see separate post./media/tinymce_upload/2b45b34a8aef84e542e48c87a60cd268.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/92cd01fd301376461af93dd969cf3ad6.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not sure if a computer consitutes a workbench but I've just finished the 3D modelling for my Camping Coach Interior for a short Triang Clerestory Composite, and just ordered the partions (biege bits) from shapeways in WSF (see below).

If it fits I'll order the remaining parts (bed linin & white table top in WSF with the brown furiture and kitchen units in FUD).

Now of to finish painting the body and look for the roof!/media/tinymce_upload/d9cbf67ffff7b971bd68d122a29977e4.PNG

Just found all the bits, finished painting and assembled my Camping Coach interior. Just need to add glasing. fit people, obtain transfers and possibly lighting

/media/tinymce_upload/ad0e341da5bbb9c796793ad68167ea65.jpg 

/media/tinymce_upload/bfbe162e39f96f0b37ee90f6748e3f63.JPG

Hi all

Sorry, it's such a lousy picture but I have finally started adding the extra details to the free Railway Modeler mag Hut it is getting hard to get the smaller details in AUS.

But a Langley coal bunker and a Keroby shovel have been painted and added next when I have one put together and painted will be a bicycle raided from a Wills bike shed still have to bend a hook from phone bell wire and add a fire bucket, rubbish bin and blackboard.

It's taking an inordinate amount of time to find the small bits to add but at least I now know what I want as it is to be the loco office.

regards John

Just installed the Fowler 2P TTS sound decoder into the tender of my new Hornby SR T9 with a sugar cube speaker...........works a treat 😀..........only mod needed was to remove the weights..........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/ed35b5643fd1253d5a5b4f1841b1a0f2.jpg 

Hi Buz, took the liberty of photoshoping your image to try and bring up the detail.- hope you don't mind. The detailing really makes it, look forward to seeing more

Hi 81F

Thanks that looks much better.

As it slowly progresses will take the pictures hopefully better than the last one.

The bicycle is next, have glue it together and paint it first.

Any thoughts on where I might find an OO or HO scale lump hammer so the occupant can make the lumps that are too big fire sized,

When things get that small the minimal size difference doesn't matter.

regards John

• 2 weeks later...

The delicate task of replacing the head lights on Class 67 Royal Diamond with independent rear lights and running lights so it ismore realistic running in formationon the EWS manager's train...../media/tinymce_upload/1aae5719d864e617a57d952ec68b573d.JPG

Well, all done. I have side and top marker lights always on if lights are on (F0), switchable headlights - for day (F1) or night running (F2) and switchable tail lights (F3)...only thing I wonder is if in real life with the class 67 pushing the train whether the front marker lights are always on - I assumed so, but, now have doubts!

Cant post a picture - getting the disk problem!

@ LMSFan72

Very impessive - that is the one down side I feal I have with steam is that the best we can have are dimly flickering oil lamps!

As to my work bench - a lot of narrow tension lock couplings with NEM shafts plus some bubble wrap. SWIMBO and i are wrapping them and about to dump them on ebay - around 100 plus of them to wrap!

• 4 weeks later...