The most beautiful steam loco ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like the SP GS-4 in Daylight livery.

A mighty loco to be shure Poliss, I have seen a video of the GS-4 in beautiful Black livery with White striping, a stunning looking mashine, there is no doubt that the Americans had some mighty steam locos but as a young lad living next to the Birmingham - Bristol main line in steam days I wouldn't give and American loco a second look, it took 50 years for me to see just how good they really were.

Also loved the American Diesels up until the late 1980s, after that I just enjoyed what was running on the short lines, I modelled American N and HO for many years but at 72 decided to go back to my first love, British.

As the inventors of steam locomotives and railways, it is my observation that you Brits treated locos, and trains in general, as a "work of art", while we in the US, concentrated on function rather than form, for the most part. As is the case of many of our biggest and most powerful steam locos, their seemed to be no effort made to make them look good. A good example would be the Chesapeake and Ohio Allegheny 2-6-6-6 locomotive. It was a huge, powerful MESS of pipes, pumps, gadgets, and gizmos. All in plain sight! Still considered to be, I believe, to be the heaviest and most powerful steam engine ever built.

As the inventors of steam locomotives and railways, it is my observation that you Brits treated locos, and trains in general, as a "work of art", while we in the US, concentrated on function rather than form, for the most part. As is the case of many of our biggest and most powerful steam locos, their seemed to be no effort made to make them look good. A good example would be the Chesapeake and Ohio Allegheny 2-6-6-6 locomotive. It was a huge, powerful MESS of pipes, pumps, gadgets, and gizmos. All in plain sight! Still considered to be, I believe, to be the heaviest and most powerful steam engine ever built.

I agree 100% you mentioned the Chesapeake and Ohio what a great railroad but by golly some of their locos including their streamline express locos were as ugly as they come but they certainly got the job done.

http://i63.tinypic.com/nqvec8.jpg

But we didn't invent steam locos or railways Wobbly. A French chappie invented the steam locomotive and some German chappies, in Bavaria or somewhere, invented railways. We just had the bright idea to put the two together. 😆

I'm going to be a bit left-field and say that I feel that the Hunslet 16" Saddle Tank is one of the most nicely-propotioned locomotives. Painted in a nice scheme they can be what a lot of people see as the stereotypical tank engine (other than Thomas) and there's a beauty in their industrial functionality for me.

Nope the Romans had invited the steam engine before. A few years before.  Alright about 1000+ years if you want to be picky. 

I said steam locomotive fazy. Are you thinking of the Aeolipile invented by that Greek chappie Hero of Alexandria?

Also wagon ways were the forerunner to track and in Europe date back to 1500's and even date back to ancient Greece or romans can't remember with out looking it up.

The ruts in Roman towns weren't wagon ways or any sort of track. They have big obstructions which would stop any wagon passing over them.

Okay not the prettiest but travelled up the coast from Brisbane last year as part of 150th anniversary of state and did a few back and forth trips between Mareeba and Kuranda.

/media/tinymce_upload/6de30434e58352057f8b9ad4a89b8669.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/30c1917de7778630a6cecfafd3185c71.jpg

Nice shots of the BB18 1/4 loco, a mate and myself rode behind her between Roma St and Ipswich last year, sadly they had a 1720 Class Diesel behind the steam loco which drowned out the sound, I hope to be riding behind her next month when the Brisbane Model Railway Show is on.

BD, we have more!

Had set up an hour before she was due to cross a bridge but an annoying drone (think huge) spoilt the movie I was taking.

Also, didn't make any noise but then we never saw her at cruising speed. Didn't have the diesel on our branch but was followed by a special rail truck, we think to put out any spot fires.

Now that would be: http://brisbanemodeltrainshow.com.au

My good lady and I are thinking of doing that rather than the BRMA Convention in Tassie later this year.

Apologies for going off topic.

@ choralc

Very fine looking beast indeed. (Have those Ozzies beaten us yet again !  Ah, but maybe it was built in the Old Country ? 😉 )

Jim sorry mate that loco was built by Walkers at Marybotough Queensland, of course many Aussie locos came from the Old Country but as usual the Queenslanders had to be different, that is why we are stuck with Narrow Gauge in this state, New South Wales was always Standard Gauge with Victoria being Broad Gauge, a total nightmare but thankfully the Victorian main line is now Standard but the Queenslanders will never change, they are a law unto themselves.

BD, we have more!

Had set up an hour before she was due to cross a bridge but an annoying drone (think huge) spoilt the movie I was taking.

Also, didn't make any noise but then we never saw her at cruising speed. Didn't have the diesel on our branch but was followed by a special rail truck, we think to put out any spot fires.

Now that would be: http://brisbanemodeltrainshow.com.au

My good lady and I are thinking of doing that rather than the BRMA Convention in Tassie later this year.

Apologies for going off topic.

Hi Choralc yes that is the show, if you haven't been before you will really enjoy it,  fine layouts and plenty of retailers but hard to pick up a bargain.

Archived