The most beautiful steam loco ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, I have a super car the new Jaguar XE R Sport in dark blue.

Hi Vespa

Vanguard, or Oxford Die-cast    (lol)  😆

I had you in mind for the Britannia. To me, although I really like the Duchess, it's not really a beauty - it's too bulky for that. It's a bruiser!!!

I thought I would buy the full size version with all the gizmos. Sadly machine guns weren't in the options. At present there are no full size Brits for sale.

The Norfolk and Western J Class 4-8-4.

Where was that photo taken??? It doesn't look like an English Steam loco - in the U.S. Maybe ???

How many 4-8-4s do we have on the UK loco register? Obviously a Yank tank and very nice too.

The locos built under Mr Wainwright of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway scores a lot for looks with me.

The original ornate liveries are also brilliant an fit the locos like a glove! 😎

The cutest "P" Class 0-6-0T (323 "BLUEBELL" on the Bluebell Railway in that railways "Bluebell Blue is lovely...) 😀

PLEASE can someone make a RTR version?  ("Can I have a "P" please Bob?")

I have a soft spot for the "C" Class 0-6-0 Tender loco...(and have 2 GBL versions in works!).

The Bluebelll's 592 was the first steam loco I rode on the footplate ! 😎

To me Kings and Castles were beautiful, as for the Norfolk & Western J Class it is a magnificent loco but in motion always looked a wee bit ungainly as though it was trying hard but getting nowhere which of course is not the case.

The most beautiful loco in my opinion, is the Flying Scotsman, in it's A3 form, in LNER livery, and with the smoke deflectors fitted, it looks really great, another beauty is the A4 Union of South Africa in its BR livery with the Springbok motif mounted on the boiler, and of course there's the T9 Greyhound, 4-4-0, in it's original LSWR green livery, a real beaut!

Yes the Green Arrow is also a favourite, as is the MR compound 4-4-0 in it's Crimson livery, from about 1902, another stunning engine.

In Fact I could go on for ever , all Steam locos are BEAUTIFUL!!!  ( except perhaps one loco, that is the Bulleid Q1 , sorry but I don't like this design at all, however it was useful and built as an "Austerity" engine.)

Regards, Barry.

Johnny Cash sings about the line at Lynchburg, Virginia in the Wreck of the Old 97. 

Must say it's a stunning loco in the photo. The tender is bigger than many of our locos. Nice one WW. 

The 611 has a special place for me because my uncle was a machinist in the Roanoke shops where she was built. Designed and built by the Norfolk and Western Railway,  not "farmed out" to a manufacturer, and is considered to be the most powerful 4-8-4 steam locomotive built in the US. At over 110' long, 16' tall, and over 80,000 lbs tractive effort, she is a brute!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the Norfolk Western Y Class is up there with the best, IMO the Norfolk Western Railroad built some of the best steam locos ever built in the USA, the Y Class 2-8-8-2 Mallett locos were more powerful than the UP Big Boys with a tractive effort of 166,000lbf, they must have looked awesome with two engines on the point and one pushing.

Heres hoping the Canadian Pacific's attempt to buy Norfolk Southern fails, the NS is one of my favorite railroads after the Penn Central.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the Norfolk Western Y Class is up there with the best, IMO the Norfolk Western Railroad built some of the best steam locos ever built in the USA, the Y Class 2-8-8-2 Mallett locos were more powerful than the UP Big Boys with a tractive effort of 166,000lbf, they must have looked awesome with two engines on the point and one pushing.

Heres hoping the Canadian Pacific's attempt to buy Norfolk Southern fails, the NS is one of my favorite railroads after the Penn Central.

I have a WHOLE lot of friends who work for NS, and they don't seem happy with the prospects. Hopefully it won't happen. I never got into the Penn Central as it was after dieselization. Now the PENNSYLVANIA is a different story, with their magnificent steamers. Their T1 was something to behold! I have BLI models of the T1, K4, I1, and H10. Quite impressive locos. Not as impressive as N&W.,...

Worlds first Pacific?

Pleased you brought that up Polis, I have read many PRR books one of which claimed the K4 was the worlds first Pacific locomotive, after doing a seach of Pacific locos on the www it is obvious that the claim is false, it seems the first real Pacific was built by Baldwin in Pennsylvania for the New Zealand Railways, thanks for questioning what I had written.

Would that be the American view of the world. Has in America is the world! 1914 built k4 pannsylvania Pacific. 

A posed to say the 1901 Q class pacific of new Zealand. Which is the First for the rest of the world. 

Sorry you beat me to it Dave

Archived