The most beautiful steam loco ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not into Steam myself, but I do rather fancy the USA Steam Streamliners.......something like this for example.

I'd second a vote for the Victorian Railways S class, streamlined for the Spirit of Progress.

But also the Lima GS-4 semi-steamlined and liveried for the Southern Pacific Daylight. SP 4449 returned to steam during the winter. It is quite magnificent up close.

Honourable mentions to:

Honourable mentions to:

I thought I'd add this remarkable shot of the 20th Century Limited posed in Chicago.

At one point Rivarossi owned tooling for this locomotive. I presume that Hornby International owns this tooling now, though newer more detailed models have been produced since the Rivarossi tooling was last used.

Beautiful is probably the last word I would put in the same  sentence has EP2. However it would definitely be a talking point on any layout.  And be a wonderful challenge to scratch build. Is the a RTR or kit available

Just read the article about them on wiki.  Love the rebuilds with lose wires with notes on them with things like we don't know what these do.  

Of the 20th Century locos (if you can call it a loco) I like the earlier GWR Diesel Railcars

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/tyseley/shed/gwrt343.jpg

and I also like the clean lines of a GWR Scot class atlantic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/GWR_2900_Class_No._181.jpg

and when they were rebuilt into Saints:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3700/9929280445_8c3e21440d_b.jpg

as far as tank locos are concerned I think the Coubty tanks are probably the best

http://www.gwr.org.uk/gallery4/niels7large.jpg

Any love for the Milwaukee EP-2? (I think it has steam heating, so it surely counts?) 😆

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Road_class_EP-2#/media/File:MILW_Bi-Polar.jpg

Bit of an ugly duckling the bipolar, but a powerful brute. Probably best in black but interesting in the Olympian Hiawatha livery.

This is a famous image of it in the mountains of Washington, whipping the kettles.

MTH made a fine model in H0.

Well, since no-one has mentioned them, I'd have to say that Stanier's un-rebuilt Jubilees are my favourite. Truly perfect proportions, especially with the larger 4000 gallon tender.

Princess Coronations come next, which my son calls grown-up Jubilees!

I agree that Kings are good looking, as are Coronations (streamlined or not) and Black 5s. Lord Nelsons are in there too. Sorry LNER fans, but I've never found Gresley's designs to be that good looking, except P1 Cock O' The North. They're too functional for me.

Well, since no-one has mentioned them, I'd have to say that Stanier's un-rebuilt Jubilees are my favourite. Truly perfect proportions, especially with the larger 4000 gallon tender. Princess Coronations come next, which my son calls grown-up Jubilees! I agree that Kings are good looking, as are Coronations (streamlined or not) and Black 5s. Lord Nelsons are in there too. Sorry LNER fans, but I've never found Gresley's designs to be that good looking, except P1 Cock O' The North. They're too functional for me.

As a GWR fan what I am about to say will mean that I will never be able to set foot in Swindon again but I feel that the Kings is not as beutiful as a Castle or better still a Saint or Star. The real downer for me is the outside front bearing on the pony truck. I often wonder what a King (or it's equivalent) would have looked like if Stannier had stayed at Swindon and became CME instead of Collett - but thats another topic!

Well, since no-one has mentioned them, I'd have to say that Stanier's un-rebuilt Jubilees are my favourite. Truly perfect proportions, especially with the larger 4000 gallon tender. Princess Coronations come next, which my son calls grown-up Jubilees! I agree that Kings are good looking, as are Coronations (streamlined or not) and Black 5s. Lord Nelsons are in there too. Sorry LNER fans, but I've never found Gresley's designs to be that good looking, except P1 Cock O' The North. They're too functional for me.

As a GWR fan what I am about to say will mean that I will never be able to set foot in Swindon again but I feel that the Kings is not as beutiful as a Castle or better still a Saint or Star. The real downer for me is the outside front bearing on the pony truck. I often wonder what a King (or it's equivalent) would have looked like if Stannier had stayed at Swindon and became CME instead of Collett - but thats another topic!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived