New 2017 items

VESPA

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also hoping it will be in a shiny red finish ,I'm definitely putting my name down for the sir William a stander and the TTS model ,I personally think a lot more models should be produced in the gloss finnish,the locomotion f /Scotsman in BR green gloss is a beauty,,,

No need -  I passed it on BR with flying colours  every three years.

46255 in glorious green once took me on holiday and I would not have had her painted in any other colour.  The red ones always appeared far too gaudy.

/media/tinymce_upload/aa90245dcd84cd2185159649c0cb02e4.jpg

I wish I had had a colour film when I took this of 46231..

/media/tinymce_upload/6542ef6d14fac0884c400ab8a89373ee.jpg

No need -  I passed it on BR with flying colours  every three years.

46255 in glorious green once took me on holiday and I would not have had her painted in any other colour.  The red ones always appeared far too gaudy.

/media/tinymce_upload/aa90245dcd84cd2185159649c0cb02e4.jpg

I wish I had had a colour film when I took this of 46231..

/media/tinymce_upload/6542ef6d14fac0884c400ab8a89373ee.jpg

If only we'd had todays cameras etc. back then

Personally, I don't really care for a red or maroon steam engine. Being from the US, Garter Blue was a big enough stretch for me! Edit: I have to mention that I live and model the East coast railroads. Nearly all dirty, rusty black freight engines. The Norfolk and Western and New York Central did keep some shiny, streamlined passenger equipment, and the Southern RR had some beautiful GREEN steamers! The red, orange, and silver Southern Pacific "Daylight" was strictly West Coast. A lot of weirdness in that neck of the woods......

Hi LCDR

If only we had todays cameras back then. I tried to reply to your photos, while ommitting the big one, but with that comment, but it went all wrong!!

Interesting thought - If you thought a maroon Duchess was too gaudy what did you think of the 'Daily Mirror' Compound??

If you mean the Andy Capp Special, scrapping the Compound afterwards was the kindest thing they could have done!! No engine should have suffered such ignomony. And no doubt you will remember the wallpapered black 5. it lives in my nightmares!

Hi LCDR

If only we had todays cameras back then. I tried to reply to your photos, while ommitting the big one, but with that comment, but it went all wrong!!

Interesting thought - If you thought a maroon Duchess was too gaudy what did you think of the 'Daily Mirror' Compound??

If you mean the Andy Capp Special, scrapping the Compound afterwards was the kindest thing they could have done!! No engine should have suffered such ignomony. And no doubt you will remember the wallpapered black 5. it lives in my nightmares!

I was indeed refering to the Andy Capp special. I reckon the guy who authorised it should have been shot.!

Re the Black 5. It was only an advert - I doubt it ever went on the main line. I don't even know whether it was BR owned or already  in preservation.''

The POLICE livery class 37 was quite amusing when they came to wash off the 'washaway' paint and it wouldn't come off. I should think there were a few choice words in Gateshead depot. Couldn't understand why they sent it all the way to Stratford for the repaint 

I find the Hornby City of Lancaster.  about right in Hugh.  I think half the problem is when you see the real thing.  if it's a sunny day when you see Sutherland. the model is to dark. when I saw it, it was a cold very very wet November day. so the colour seemed darker.  the model seems to catch it perfect.  

Saying that,  T Cut the model will in prove the look. but don't over do it otherwise someone may find them selfs learning how to line a loco

45212 on the K&WVR was covered in red and cream flowery wallpaper in 1969 for a Solvite advertisment. This picture from the Railway Magazine  by J. Glover shows her wallpapered but then wrapped in plastic to keep clean before the filming. http://kwvr.co.uk/trains-and-the-railway/tv-film/ mentions the event but gives no details.

/media/tinymce_upload/c845fb0a5de399c108aaffede692f06b.jpg

I was working in Newcastle when the 'Police'; advertisment was made, We were sworn to secrecy at the time. The loco was run light on the West Line with a camera helicopter chasing it. A large blue dome on the roof had a flashing light, but as this was out of gauge it had to be fitted out on the site.  A repeat was made some years later using a similarly adorned class 47.

Another 'stunt' I got involved in was a demonstration of safety at level crossings. We placed a bright red Ford XR2i on Yafforth level crossing on the Redmire branch. We then propelled two cars of a 4TC set with a class 47 at it.  Just before the crossing a slip coupling detached the two carriages  which carried on while the locomotive stopped short. A reducing valve in the coaches progressivly applied the air brake so the vehicles would have stopped anyway, but not before ploughing into the car, at about 40 mph.

Near the crossing a grandstand for invited spectators was erected and all the local and national media were invited to attend. The crash was filmed and used in a TV advert afterwards.

/media/tinymce_upload/7007d7363fcc65ed8b919fd4bd0c6c63.jpg

The 'body' in the car was a member of Railtrack's publicity team who bravely climbed in to the car after the crash dummy which was removed. His accident make up was very realistic and not a little gruesome. The fire service had made the car safe before the crash, but it was a runner and filming had already taken place of the car travelling towards the crossing driven by that same person.

That was taken on one of those plastic Kodak 127 cameras that took 8 shots. The oval shaped ones, cheap and cheerful.  Shame my pocket money didn't run to anything better, that and a model railway and a Meccano set to support! My other major item of weekly expenditure was a red bus rover 1/3d in Saturdays, to go round London spotting locos and buses. A Jubbly and an individual fruit pie, and some cheese & pickle sandwiches in a brown paper bag, all packed into a Army Surplus shoulder bag.  Dress code, short grey trousers (knee length) , grey school jumper, long socks (knee length) ,  school cap, and on wet days a navy blue raincoat.

Archived