Modeling an era queries.

Dazzler down under

So,  what era do you model? Or do you model based on a location! Im going for the 50's-60's era, no particular location other then being British, that way i can have mixed steam and diesel locos from any region but tend to go with locos that were seen around Leeds but ill buy anything if i like it lol. I have early and late crested models i like to run one or the other but im assuming there was a  period where steam locos in Britan ran with either logo?id think they would of changed the logo when the loco was due for an overhaul? Or would they pull a loco into the workshop just to change the logo?

Merry Christmas and compliments of the season to everyone on the Hornby forum. I trust everyone will be happily tending to their new locos ect. Enjoy.

As probably everyone already knows (and has grown very weary of hearing! ) I model Southern Region 1950s/1960s  located in North Kent. That allows me to run steam, electric and diesel in an authentic setting.

I aim to keep trains in authentic formations and have a large library of official publications (Working Timetables, Carriage Working notices and engine diagrams, etc ) to help me do that. 

50's & 60's with poetic licence of the odd bit of blue rail (1964 on) and even the odd GWR loco as I have photos in books, of tank locos in the 60's with Great Western on the tank sides. I also have modern stuff but wouldn't run, other than the AC electrics in perhaps in sidings stabled up.

Unfortunately setting myself a remit only to model a particular era and locale hasn't prevented my buying dozens of models that are totally irrelevant.  Why for instance should I own one of each class of 4mm scale DMMU with the only justfication is that they might have come through on a seaside excursion!

Like this maybe?

/media/tinymce_upload/4a560ac481f2ceb2e53e62fa33edf9c5.jpg

My layout started as a mid 50’s one with no particular area in mind hence the name, but as the level of stock grew; the time frame became stretched in both directions.  While I still run mainly mid 50’s/early 60’s with both steam and diesel, I have also acquired quite a number of GWR and LNER liveried locos and stock.

Ffrwd Locks is BR Western Region in North Wales.

The LNWR (Later LMS) and GWR had a joint line to Coed Talon (from Brymbo), which I have re-routed to one end of Ffrwd Locks.

I have also "developed" Ffrwd Ironworks instead of Brymbo Works!

There is a goods branch to Ffrwd Ironworks, which connects to the WM&CQR (Later Great Central, then LNER) at the works. This leaves from the other end of Ffrwd Locks (and is almost correct!).

The normal period is 1952-1954, GWR, LMS and LNER can appear, but I also have some Southern Railway / Region stock.....The wagons are fine in general, as they travelled, but the SR locos, and to a slightly lesser extent, the coaches, would be rare in North Wales! 😉

As said above, the Big Four liveries were quite long lived....some locos seem to have had repairs and escpaed re-branding....though, other than the GWR locos, which kept their numbers, the LMS, LNRE, and SR locos did tend to get re-numbered quite quickly after 1948....

It took the BR a while to standardise liveries and logos, early on "BRITISH RAILWAYS" was used, either in "Gill Sans" typeface, or the lettering style of the Big Four loco owner, GWR style and Southern "Sunshine" lettering styles were certainly used.

The Early Emblem (Uni-cycling Lion) was based on a logo used by most of the nationalised transport undertakings (E.G. Road Haulage, British Road Services, etc.)

Basically C1950 to 1955, when a change happened....The late Crest was part of this. At first there were two versions, but only one was meant to be used (Heraldry!), so later on one side of a looco the lion went backwards!

The change of logos was over a far longer time than these days!  Some EC locos were scrapped in the 1960s without ever carrying the Late Crest!

Totally immaterial what we run in reality, ultimatley we just like running trains and enjoying them. I appreciate some like to keep within set periods but then there is always a possibility that due to restrictions in the number of models or special offers or whatever we all eventually branch out.

Yeah I just like running trains, I'm going for 50s 60s era but what's 30-40 years either side it's all good fun, I've always been tempted to grab one of the newer HST type trains but have refrained so far but maybe one day.

thanks for that info Sarah, so it's totally realistic to be running both crest locos at the same time, I figured it would be.

My layout that I have exhibited at local shows is fictional location on Sussex/Surrey border. It branches from the cuckoo line at Eridge and the line goes towards Haywards Heath. The stock I run varies according to the time frame I run the layout in. It is either SR (1940s) or early BR. 

However, I like locos etc. from other areas so I recommend joining a club. I am a member of DHMRS, they have a large layout  based in the East Midlands. This lets me run my LNER and LMS stock.

If you ignore the colour of one planned distant signal arm my layout should be capable of running from about the 1890s to early 50s-ish (if you ignore the fact that the narrowgauge hasn't been lifted by 1937). But the stock I have seem to be settling around 3 different time periods.

Pre-grouping and WW1

Post-grouping to 1936

1936-1947 (due to some Hawkesworth Counties and the number of panniers with GWR on the side tanks rather than the shirtbutton logo or GREAT WESTERN and loco number.

The big fly in the ointment is Pitchford Hall which I bought separately from a set that had been split. I thought I was getting a late GWR condition loco a it has G coat of arms W on the tender, but as it has a smokebox door numberplate it is definately in British Railways sondition. I have removed these from other locos before but the process is quite brutal so I will probably put up with it.

If you ignore the colour of one planned distant signal arm my layout should be capable of running from about the 1890s to early 50s-ish (if you ignore the fact that the narrowgauge hasn't been lifted by 1937). But the stock I have seem to be settling around 3 different time periods.

Pre-grouping and WW1

Post-grouping to 1936

1936-1947 (due to some Hawkesworth Counties and the number of panniers with GWR on the side tanks rather than the shirtbutton logo or GREAT WESTERN and loco number.

The big fly in the ointment is Pitchford Hall which I bought separately from a set that had been split. I thought I was getting a late GWR condition loco a it has G coat of arms W on the tender, but as it has a smokebox door numberplate it is definately in British Railways sondition. I have removed these from other locos before but the process is quite brutal so I will probably put up with it.

Why not cover it up with a GW style train reporting number frame?

>SNIPPED

In fact, that loco is in Preserved condition... 😉

It came from the "Shakespeare Express" train set I believe, and is based on how the loco was turned out from Tyseley for Vintage Trains a while ago...

The perils of RTR models... 😉

@ LC&DR

The reporting number frame is a great idea, though I may leave any numbers off as this locos regular turn is an oil train. I had thought of an indicatoe shelter but would probably have to buil;d the GWR Dynamometer car to go with it!

This looks very interesting. My layout is based on those a little furthe south and somewhat earlier. I too have some souther locos that really shouldn't be there and had been wondering how I could justify them.

At least now I can say they must have been on route to your railway! 😆

Archived