Average Age

2e0dtoeric

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my friends are 'old' and all of them use computers and ipads without any problem at all. What they don't do is wander about staring at their phones  😆 😆

Hear, Hear !  It really irritates me. I sometimes wish they would walk into a lamp-post or a huge display

of precariously perched bags of cat litter at Tesco ! 😛 🤐 😮 

That may be so Jacob, but have you ever bought something from a shop when the tills aren't working, and watched the 'young' person behind the counter trying to work out the total price and then trying to work out how much change to give?

I had to buy some curtain material a few months ago and asked the shop assistant for 4 feet of it.

She had to get her calculator out to work out it was 48 inches.

The Colonel probably considers anybody over 20 to be old. The idea that computers are new makes me laugh.The fact of the matter is we can do things without computers that young people wouldn't even consider.  😆

Nope. 60-65 or above. And I'm the only one in my class that is learning Python (programing language).

Such as the ability to multiply, or divide, by 10, or 100, or 1000 without the use of a calculator!!   😆

I go through torture through every maths lesson. Not torture of 'I don't understand sir', torture of 'What?! Revision AGAIN sir?' as well as torture of boredom. 

Don't agree with you Jeff. They are often responsible for backscenes and landscapes. Dolls houses? Come and say that to SWMBO and you'll end up inside a dolls house  🫨

Ok, I'll say there's maybe more than think there is. I haven't come across any ladies involved  in modeling but then I'm not in a club, haven't been to any model rail fairs and have only just returned to the interest. So er..... I don't  think I know what I'm talking about I suppose! I just haven't met any although I have known some say they wished they had had a train set when they were little.

I know a very accomplished female railway modeller, she has, in days gone by, published articles about her models in the model railway press. She models BR Southern (Central Section) and therefore as I model BR SR (Eastern Section) we do occasionally communicate about matters of mutual interest.  

Her models of SR electric multiple units are supurb, to see her scratch built 6 Pul & 6 Pan sets in their full glory are a sight to behold. My two SECR H class constructed from Hornby Dublo R1 and Airfix 14xx, that I illustrated on this forum some months ago owe a great deal to her help and encouragement, and most importantly a gift of a couple of spare R1 bodies, and whitemetal castings for chimney & dome!

I recall meeting, at an exhibition, an excellent modeller who happended to be a lady, called Maggie Gravett (?). The layout she was exhibiting was of the highest standard - far higher than any layout we see here.

In the 1970s a lady, Vivienn Thompson, who produced models of LBSC buildings, had a series of articles in, I think, Railway Modeller. Again, models of the highest standard.