Recycle Sprue/Runner plastic waste?

T2B

This is my collected pile of my last 12 months of modelling! 

/media/tinymce_upload/882d5328e3e1fe3219c43e6f04bf8c02.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/0c203e15c67dbc0aa06c28bc54f8fc33.JPG

I used to just put my waste sprue/runners in the bin after finishing a model (after double checking no small parts had been left on as I have made that BIG MISTAKE before). But about a year ago it occurred to me that in this day and age of excessive waste, maybe we could do more to recycle the left over plastic from a model. I am sure that some of you more prolific modellers out there will have more than me but I still generated  quite a big bag and its still building.

So what do you do with yours?

And maybe the administrator could chip in here, but not being a expert in plastic physics, is it possible to re-use the sprue/runner waste and product models from recycled plastic? I'm sure there would be a market if it was possible as I'm sure we all want to help 'save the planet' and maybe reduce Airfix's production costs which of cause would be passed onto the consumer!

Any thoughts anybody???

Ha thats a shame cos as you can see I've cut most of mine up (for ease of storage when I was seeing how much I could collect.

But my council has become more and more tricky as to what they do accept to recycle. Such as they won't accept any shedded paper or envelopes now  ☹️

But I'm really interested to see what Admin have to say on the subject?? 

And Paws4Thot, sorry for the late reply but I've just been trawling through my posts and saw your question on my 'new member post -Nov 16, and my ceiling is basic plaster board (recently skimmed flat when I redecorated) with small brass hooks screwed in to hang my planes. Wasn't allowed to do it when I was a kid but I can now although my wife wasn't impressed lol!!

And thanks for your comments about my collection, maybe I should do a separate post for my Spitfire and Hurricane's  - they are all Airfix's old tool kits with a few modifications here and there, although I am considering replacing them all with the new tool releases from Airfix?

You should be ok, I usually drill a very small pilot hole before screwing the hook in or on occasion the edge of the plaster does crumble (probably due to the skimming I had done cos wasn't impressed lol). But this method usually works for even the larger 1:72 scale kits because if you look at my Vulcan B.2 (BS) post that is hanging from the ceiling. I also have a Revell Victor K.2 Tanker up there, refueling a Buccaneer in-flight!!

Thanks for your comments DJC, but who will accept it and re-use it Ratch because am sure my council would just put it in the landfill? I was hoping to avoid that now that I actually see how much is left over after I've done a few models

Am still hoping that Admin will respond and see if they have any thoughts on recycling!! 

I don't know who will recycle it nowadays, but when I worked at Mettoy we had Injection Moulding machines making parts for Corgi and Husky cars. Scrap and waste was granulated and recycled - so it can be done. Whether anyone actually does it now....

Hi.Styrene can be recycled but usuall most plastic here in SA is all ground up and used for plastc super market bags.

At our local libary there's a charity bin for collecting old cool drink tops ( Fizzy drinks in the UK.) and I save all the hard plastics including old sprues and take it there. not sure what the charity is, something to do with a children's school so maybe someone gets some good out of the plastic waste.

Remember we do this for fun           John the pom 

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I collect my sprues as well in the hope that airfix will start recycling them. I chop them into little pieces and hold onto the bags. I know that Warhammer have a collection and recycling scheme for their sprues. So come on Airfix get on board. A common question I get asked is what do I do with the waste plastic so it is a matter that is getting noticed more and more

• 3 weeks later...

I put my finished sprues in the recycling bin for collection along with regular plastic and cardboard. My finished kit boxes go the same way.

It is the council recycling depot that will sort out unsuitable waste and send it to the incinerator.

I have also disposed of all my unwanted kits in the recycling which included areas/eras I no longer build.

My wife assures me that all my collection will go in my coffin for cremation when I go....what a lot of pollution that will cause.