Petersburg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that, Wobbly, I love streamlined engines.

We have one left in Belgium, the 'legendary' (again in Belgium) Type 12 Atlantic (4-4-2), the last steam engine built in this country in 1938-1939. The SNCB-NMBS (National Railway Company of Belgium) was mainly used on the Ostend boat trains. It is nicknamed the "Patineuse" (skater) by the footplatemen owing to its tendency to slip a couple of times when moving out of stations with a heavy load.

The engine on the photograph is the sole surviving example of this small class and is now permanently housed at TrainWorld, the new national train mueseum in Brussels that is wel worth a visit. Some claim it has been given a total restoration, but I believe it is only cosmetic: why go through all the expense for a permanently static display? Why not use it to haul specials then? 

170px-Trainworld_1522.JPG The preserved Type 12 locomotive exhibited in Train WorldBrussels

901761_263495213787105_1837159148_o.jpg?

I had thje same problem with uploading pics on about the 15th but cleared up the following day but then couldn't today but will try again later.

On an allied thread, i once had to take an Austrailian Colleague past Oxford Station several years ago. Stood in the siding was Flying Scotsman. I recall him being very supprised at seeing a Steam Loco, but I remember him asking if thet was THE REAL Flying Scotsman as it loked rather small!

Having said that I think most of the rest of the worlds standard gauge is bigger than ours, just look at how big the coaches look against this Class 87 in Bulgaria - http://www.loco-photos.net/picture?/7986/category/35-2010_05_bulgaria

I agree PP but it looks as though if you removed the 'streamlining' the loco underneath would be ready to run with no extra work. 

I don't like streamlining anyway. Much prefer an honest, ugly loco that looks like a loco e.g Q6, WD etc. And Bulleids airsmoothed Schools was the pits - even for him!!

You still can't beat a V2, can you!   😉

If you want an ordinary steam loco that has had stream lining stuck on it I suggest you look at the GWRs versions:

Manornier castle, http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/08/Im1935SW-5005.jpg

and king Henry VII http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/locomotive/images/8/88/GWR_King_Henry_VII_left_34_view.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161202035107.

I remjember reading that these were as a result of the Publicity department applying pressure to the Loco department. The story goes that Collett smeared some plasticine over a paperweight of a GWR 4-6-0 and handed it to their drawing Office! - Can anyone corroborate this?

Wow, that looks weird! I've never seen a locomotive that looks like that before. It looks like a tankamotive! Looks like a tank has been modified into a locomotive!  😆

I hate to say it, but it kinda looks like some sort of INSECT! Not a bad thing, mind you....if you like bugs... I think maybe it could "grow on you" after a while. Like lice....

• 1 month later...

390+ tons!!  Is that the loco, or the whole train??  A Gresley A4 goes 169 tons including tender. I know Yank trains were big, but that seems slightly excessive!!

Maximum axle load on British Railways in steam days was about 22 tons, modern wagons can load to 25 tons all up.

Thanks for that, Wobbly, I love streamlined engines.

We have one left in Belgium, the 'legendary' (again in Belgium) Type 12 Atlantic (4-4-2), the last steam engine built in this country in 1938-1939. The SNCB-NMBS (National Railway Company of Belgium) was mainly used on the Ostend boat trains. It is nicknamed the "Patineuse" (skater) by the footplatemen owing to its tendency to slip a couple of times when moving out of stations with a heavy load.

170px-Trainworld_1522.JPG   The preserved Type 12 locomotive exhibited in Train WorldBrussels

901761_263495213787105_1837159148_o.jpg?

Great photos. Thankyou very much. The impression is of a giant scarab beetle and the curving lines put one in mind of the Pharaohs.  Are you sure it wasn't from Egyptian Railways ?  😆

390+ tons!!  Is that the loco, or the whole train??  A Gresley A4 goes 169 tons including tender. I know Yank trains were big, but that seems slightly excessive!!

Maximum axle load on British Railways in steam days was about 22 tons, modern wagons can load to 25 tons all up.

Axle load on the drivers of the 611 is listed as 72,000 pounds, with a tractive effort of 80,000 pounds. (According to Wikipedia). Also, both the Big Boy and the Allegheny weighed over a MILLION pounds, both engine and tender! Oh, and did I tell you the Union Pacific is restoring a Big Boy for excursions, due to be running in 2019? It is over 130 ft. long...sheesh...!

Archived