Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

Thanks everyone. I hold no illusions about the quality of the Master kit. It was so cheap it was worth the punt! I suspect it will never be built, and if it is it won't be one of my best models.

Ideally I'd prefer a Master MkI, but no-one seems to make that one - yet. The MkIII is sufficiently different that it's not simply a case of grafting an old Hurricane or Spitfire nose on to the fuselage.

Now, the RS Models Magister offering is a different beast altogether. The mouldings are tidy, well detailed, and there's PE detailing for the cockpits. It's a simple enough kit it should go together nicely and quickly.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been building vehicles lately for Airfix Battles. Managed an Airfix Panther but had to resort to Armourfast for Panzer IVs and StuG IIIs since no airfix options. My son has added a Sherman (Airfix) and a pair of Fireflys (Armourfast) to his British force (mainly 5th RTR of 7th Armoured Division using Plastic Soldier Decals).

Some remoulds and new tools of WW2 vehicles would be welcome.

I also picked up an Airfix Skyhawk cheap in Hobbycraft (who iften do good promotions) which will get RAAF markings at some point.

Hi, I'm new here.

I have decided to have another go at modelling (not done any since my days as a teenager) so to ease my way back into it I've picked up a Red Arrows Gnat starter set that I'm hoping to start this week.

My main area of interest is aircraft but I was in Hobbycraft and saw a nice line of Star Wars sets that I think are going to make me and my wallet fall out over.

Hi, I'm new here.

I have decided to have another go at modelling (not done any since my days as a teenager) so to ease my way back into it I've picked up a Red Arrows Gnat starter set that I'm hoping to start this week.

My main area of interest is aircraft but I was in Hobbycraft and saw a nice line of Star Wars sets that I think are going to make me and my wallet fall out over.

Hi mate. Tip from someone who's built both the 1/72 and 1/48 scale Gnats. Follow the instructions around the cockpit and intakes, and pre-assemble as much of them as you can before painting: use the fuselage as a jig for placing bulkheads. (Not the intake liners; that would cause access problems, but you can get the cockpit bath completed bar instrument boards, controls and seats, and the cockpit sidewalls/intake liners (clear when you look at 1/72 scale instructions) fitted before painting the cockpit.

Hi, I'm new here.

Hi mate. Tip from someone who's built both the 1/72 and 1/48 scale Gnats. Follow the instructions around the cockpit and intakes, and pre-assemble as much of them as you can before painting: use the fuselage as a jig for placing bulkheads. (Not the intake liners; that would cause access problems, but you can get the cockpit bath completed bar instrument boards, controls and seats, and the cockpit sidewalls/intake liners (clear when you look at 1/72 scale instructions) fitted before painting the cockpit.

Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly give that a go when I make a start on it.

@ Asur84

Just a side note, I'm not 100% per cent sure but I think the 1:72 scale Red Arrows Gnat is the old tool kit (Airfix probably getting rid of old stocks in a starter kit promotion) so the good advice given by P4T relating to the cockpit bath and cockpit/intake liners etc wouldn't be relevant on this old tool kit. If you want the Airfix new tool 1:72nd scale Gnat try and source either the 'Yellow Jacks' kit or the Central Flying School kit (in the Fire Orange/Silver scheme)

But welcome back to modelling

Nigel t2b 

@ Asur84

Just a side note, I'm not 100% per cent sure but I think the 1:72 scale Red Arrows Gnat is the old tool kit (Airfix probably getting rid of old stocks in a starter kit promotion) so the good advice given by P4T relating to the cockpit bath and cockpit/intake liners etc wouldn't be relevant on this old tool kit. If you want the Airfix new tool 1:72nd scale Gnat try and source either the 'Yellow Jacks' kit or the Central Flying School kit (in the Fire Orange/Silver scheme)

But welcome back to modelling

Nigel t2b 

Good spot, and something I'm usually nervous about with starter packs (are they the old tool?). Incidentally Yellowjacks stocks seem to be getting rare now.

Welcome to the Airfix Forum, Asur84.

All of my hobbies make me and my wallet fall out, every time I purchase something, to join one of my collection's! Me and my wallet still don't get one!  😆

May be this is thread of interest to you Asur84, to indroduce yourself to everyone on: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/8872/?p=15/.

@P4T

Even Airfix are confused because if you look at the online catalogue of the Red Arrows Gnat the pictures clearly show a completed 'old tool' kit (not very well made considering they should be promotional pictures) but the download instructions are from the 'new tool' kit? I did comfirm that the kit was actually an old tool several months ago when I was on the verge of buying from Airfix and I complained via the website and asked why when they had the tooling for the lovely new kit? Didn't expect a response and I wasn't disappointed.

The reason I double checked at that time was because I got caught out when I'd bought the Harrier GR.3 Starter Set and when it arrived it was the 'old tool' not the new tooling I thought I was buying'!! This purchase was on Evil Bay so I was stuck with it for a while. So I have come to the conclusion that if Airfix have some old tool kits left (that have been superceded by a new tool) then they often appear in a Starter Set Promotion.

Though its not always the case because the Gnat Yellow Jacks being the new tool kit was issued as a Starter Set, which is no longer listed with Airfix so as you say is will be getting difficult to get hold off

Nigel

@PMM

I'll be watching because that kit interests me and I was thinking about using my Flying Hours Tokens on the very same kit. My first year as an Airfix member and to think of the number of kits I've made over the years and thrown the boxes out together with the tokens. If only I'd realised what I was doing I could get several kits now all at once  ☹️ 

Nigel

1 x Vallejo 17ml MA057 Model Air - 057  Black (VAMA057)

1 x Vallejo 200ml 161 Model Air - 71161 Airbrush Thinners 200ml (VA161)

1 x Hat 1/72 8025 Waterloo Dutch Infantry (HAT8025)

1 x Hat 1/72 8033 Napoleonic British Dragoons (HAT8033)

1 x Hat 1/72 8014 Kings German Legion Light Dragoons (HAT8014)

1 x Italeri 1/72 6003 French Heavy Cavalry (IT6003)

1 x AK Interactive 30ml 00480 Xtreme Metal Paints - Dark Aluminium (AAK00480)

1 x AK Interactive 30ml 00479 Xtreme Metal Paints - Aluminium (AAK00479)

1 x AK Interactive 20ml 00456 True Metal Paint - Dark Aluminium (AAK00456)

1 x AK Interactive 17ml 00775 Matt Varnish - Acrylic (AAK00775)

Added more to my stash this week

1 x Esci M12 Gun Carriage

2 x Esci US 3/4 Ton Dodge Weapons Carrier

1 x Esci Russian Guards Soldiers

1 x Johnson Klear

1 x Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.IVF

3 x Eduard PE Detail Sets

As with most modellers I am buying more than I will probably ever make and hense my large stash came into being, though I didn't intend to become a collector?

And does placing my Pre-Order for the new Airfix Wellington Mk.1C count? I placed an order for 2 models as I think this kit will be popular and will quickly be 'out of stock'

Nigel

Yes JW it was a bit of an expensive week especially with PE sets but I've been puttin it off and reaĺly need to try it to see what all the fuss is about? 

I don't usually buy as much in 1 week but I have busted me budget in the past few weeks 

But even without all the extras my stash is still expanding faster than I can make the models 

It was an expensive week for you!  😆

What do you mean by "PE"?

PE - Photo-Etched detail set. A piece of brass (sometimes stainless steel) shim stock with fine detail parts etched onto/out of it. For example, a set for a late WW2 British ground-attack type might include the "pig-tails" for the ground-attack rockets and structure that can't be moulded, a set for a car might have brake disc covers for steel discs, pedal covers, exhaust manifold and/or turbo heat shields...

See www.eduard.com for lots of examples (NB Mods, this is a case of their pics will be worth millions of my words and Airfix don't make PE).