A month ago...

roy_fitzsimmonds

I was just thinking this, the other day, or last week, that the last post posted in the 'Cars' section, was over month ago. Clearly, there isn't much to talk about to do with Airfix car kits. However, I have also noticed, that Airfix don't produce very many car kits, so this may have a massive impact to do with discussions in this area, of the Airfix Forum. I would say and I am sure many other members would agree with me, that the majority of car kits that Airfix do produce, is in their QUICK BUILD range, which isn't really good enough, for the traditional plastic kit modeller.

GNR-Gordon-4

Hi All.

Even though I don't model cars it's a shame that Airfix seem to have forsaken them as it was part of their bread & butter in the early years with their vintage or classic range. Actually my fitst Airfix kit was a car kit the Bently. 

Airfix seems to be concentrating on aircraft and a few aicraft related other things such as airfield support sets. I just hope the cars don't go the way of the 600th scale ships. I'm sure a few cars from the WW2 era done in 72nd scale would sell and then even do them in 32nd scale as civilian or post war cars.

There is obviously a market out there; maybe not as lively as the aircraft market; but a market that's itching for something new, Personally I'd love to see some 1/72 scale vehicles for theGerman airfield dioramas.

Remember we do this for fun                                 John the Pom

John Symmons, yes, Airfix, or Hornby Hobbies, do concentrate on producing aircraft kits, in the Airfix ranges. After all, where does one find aircraft mostly, apart from at an airport; Up in the air! It's in the name: "Air"fix!  😆

Would be ncie to see some more ca kits though. I must admit, I love my cars more then aircraft.

GNR-Gordon-4

why don't they do some, well lets some tvr's in 1/24 scale because who does a tvr and who does a post war frazer nash or an austin 7 or 30 98 or mg pb or most other things. Its all american, Italian, japanese and german with cars by large companys. And how about the new alpine-That would sell well.

It would not be hard to persuade me to buy a 1/24 scale TVR kit; it's sort of an "if you mould it I will buy" situation.

The Airfix brand was synonymous with diversity. Unfortunately, there appears to be little perspicacity to look beyond aircraft. If you don't inspire the market and feed it new kits (at least periodically) you should not be surprised when the market dies or goes elsewhere.

If you don't inspire the market and feed it new kits (at least periodically) you should not be surprised when the market dies or goes elsewhere.

I'd suggest they have periodically fed us with new kits - DB9, Jaguar, Mini and Fiesta and I think they're all currently listed. Maybe they weren't good subjects to sell big, although as has been mentioned previously the real problem could be scale. 

If you don't inspire the market and feed it new kits (at least periodically) you should not be surprised when the market dies or goes elsewhere.

I'd suggest they have periodically fed us with new kits - DB9, Jaguar, Mini and Fiesta and I think they're all currently listed. Maybe they weren't good subjects to sell big, although as has been mentioned previously the real problem could be scale. 

As implied above, I would have bought them all if they'd been 1/24th scale. I might even have bought multiples of them depending on liveries offered.

Archived