1:72nd Scale Bristol Blenheim B Mk.I & Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Dogfight

T2B

Anyway, over the weekend the build continued .........

/media/tinymce_upload/341ddbf31295e496e99ced5f35077092.JPG 

The main airframe was completed and ready for some paint.

/media/tinymce_upload/36333ff9be094d9a70605f84361f7ae8.JPG

It always looks such a mess at this stage and you always wonder if it'll be okay under all that masking?

/media/tinymce_upload/04e02107f82ee9aeac1834a4844d2efa.JPG

And between coats whilst waiting for the paint to cure properly, I started building up the engines and turret assembly.

/media/tinymce_upload/0c33e042560c9c91dcd15efeb08b608a.JPG 

/media/tinymce_upload/1e3928d3fce6ad7b1b0cdba27d368f88.JPG

And all is revealed. Despite 1 or 2 small areas that need a little touching up (and I'll try and do better next time) the results aren't too bad and a coat of Klear was applied ready for the decals.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@T2B - Sorry if the technical discussion isn't helping; I suspect the problem is that everyone else knows enough to not know what/why you're not understanding in sufficient detail to explain further.

What I can say is that your revised images top of page are looking a bit soft on my monitor, which suggests that something is trying to force them up to a default image size and I'm getting interpolation effects. As justification of my comments about "it's complicated" etc, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicubic_interpolation .

@ P4T 

It happens on my monitor a little too, all I can suggest that when a cropped image is viewed in the same frame size the pixels are stretched a bit (especially on larger devices like a computer monitor) so the image becomes softer or a little blurred which is why I'm careful not to crop them too much. 

And sorry but I kinda get too engrossed in my model building rather than devote time to improving my computer skills cos generally I manage to get by. Though I do think my camera is due an upgrade soon?

So I will continue with the build!

I’m glad to see the story of the build project has resumed. I think you have chosen a good project to showcase two examples of the latest standard from Airfix, and the finish on the Blenheim looks very good indeed. The photo of the underside shows the open bomb bay which I always regretted not having in the ‘old’ Blenheim IV from years ago. On the subject of the bomb bay, did you notice the gap between the bulkhead [rear I think] & the fuselage as reported elsewhere?

@ DT

Thanks for your comments Dominic and yes it's good to get comments about the build again as it did suffer from some thread creep! And yes there were small panel/joint gaps in the bomb bay where the rear fuselage and cockpit both slot onto the center fuselage/wing section but being held in place with quick setting liquid cement largely eliminated the gaps. I'll try and upload a close up photo tonight.

As I mentioned earlier in a post, so far the only issues I've had was with the fit of the canopy halves which resulted in gaps where the canopy attached to the cockpit sides so some filler had to be used!

And many old tool kits especially smaller series kits were lacking detail like bomb bays but it was the era they were made and I was generally happy it the time with the kits.

@ P4T 

It happens on my monitor a little too, all I can suggest that when a cropped image is viewed in the same frame size the pixels are stretched a bit (especially on larger devices like a computer monitor) so the image becomes softer or a little blurred which is why I'm careful not to crop them too much. 

And sorry but I kinda get too engrossed in my model building rather than devote time to improving my computer skills cos generally I manage to get by. Though I do think my camera is due an upgrade soon?

So I will continue with the build!

I think its a bit more mundane then that, in some of images the object being photgraphed is out of focus(could also be a bit of camera shake) look closely at the image of the cockpit on the newpaper, the newsprint and undercarraige is in focus the cockpit isnt, so the focus is slightly beyond the cockpit...

P4T, yes my camera defaults to jpeg 😀

@ DT

Hi Dominic, trying to keep the build on track I took a couple of extra photo's tonight while doing some more of the decals.

/media/tinymce_upload/263e4a6c148200dfb618bdadcf5977c5.JPG

You can see the join of the fuselage/cockpit sections to the central wing section but they are fairly tight and I don't think they require filling. As I mentioned the only gaps I got were around the cockpit canopy.

/media/tinymce_upload/6f02cf5ef491bb9f5a18c634c8d6d92b.JPG    

The gaps were still small and I didn't really think they were an issue until after the paint was added, and then the gaps suddenly looked massive, so a little filler was required. 

/media/tinymce_upload/5f6e8ae83268e46aef7b80ae79b10294.JPG 

Only a couple of extra decals have been added, this working for a living plays havoc with my modelling  🤔

/media/tinymce_upload/7e3db5e5718b1d5110ffaa380e18ac47.JPG

I like the finish you have achieved. It’s coming along well. The gap at the end of the bomb bay doesn’t look excessive in your pictures, and I suppose in the heat of battle, it won’t be noticed!

The wing walkway is really crisp. How did you achieve that? Masking? I see you have masked the canopy for painting. Was this a tailored mask set? I tried making my own masking on a Fulmar recently and it was a disaster - resorted to painting the frames freehand. I’ll try to post some pics one of these days as a lesson in how not to do it.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks again for your praise. 

And I'm happy with the bomb bay and overall fit of the panels etc other than the canopy which I've already mentioned. The finish still needs the matt coat and weathering when the build is finished.

And cheating on both counts, the wing walkway is part of the kit decal sheet and yes I used an Edward Mask Set for the canopies. 

I used to occasioally hand paint the frames when I was still brush painting my models, and my first attempts at spraying on my Battle & Lysander masks (separate build threads on this forum) were done freehand with tape n modelling knife. But on more complicated canopies and turrets I'm taking the easy route and using tailored mask sets where possible!

I like the finish you have achieved. It’s coming along well. The gap at the end of the bomb bay doesn’t look excessive in your pictures, and I suppose in the heat of battle, it won’t be noticed!

The wing walkway is really crisp. How did you achieve that? Masking? I see you have masked the canopy for painting. Was this a tailored mask set? I tried making my own masking on a Fulmar recently and it was a disaster - resorted to painting the frames freehand. I’ll try to post some pics one of these days as a lesson in how not to do it.

Keep up the good work.

Also @T2B - I was getting a ~1mm air gap between the wing centre section and rear fuselage when test fitting, until I saw a suggestion that you also need to press the front edge of the rear fuselage down so the "hooks" engage over the leading edge of the wing (clearer with the subassemblies in front of you). I'll suggest that detail consideration of exactly how you assemble these parts is important then.

And cheating on both counts, the wing walkway is part of the kit decal sheet and yes I used an Edward Mask Set for the canopies. 

Using pre-cut masks is a cheat I fully condone.

I onced masked the canopy and nose of a B36 with Tamiya tape. Never again. When I built my 1:32 He111, I used Eduard's mask set and loved every individual little mask (and some not so little ones, it was 1:32)

Personally, I do not consider mask sets to be a cheat. In my mind, they are just another tool of the trade. The quality of canopies on many of the posts on this blog stand for themselves. In my case, having been modelling since William the Conqueror made his Battle in Hastings, I am stuck in a time warp with cocktail sticks.

@ P4T

I didn't notice the 'hooks' when doing my dry fitting (though they may be there and engaged without me realising) but as I say with some positive pressure I believe I got a pretty good fit, less than 1mm gap and the wing root alignment was good aswell so it must be OK because with the tight tolerances if 1 section is out it'll cause a gap or miss alignment further along the build process. But I've got another 3 Blenheims to do in the fullness of time so I try and remember your little hint.

@  Colin M

Yes the pre-cut mask sets are worth it and do save a lot of time and frustration on the more complicated canopies/turrets, especially as I'm still in the 1:72nd scale world. But on smaller canopies like the Spitfire collection I've just done I do cut my own as I can't justify the expense for just 5 little pre-cut shapes!!

@ DT

Like you I've been modelling for a long time, since 1970 and was very stuck in my ways. Apart from my AFVs everything was Airfix, all my aircraft and all my products (well Humbrol but its the same) and I brush painted using enamels. But about a year ago I joined a local Model Club and was introduced to airbrushing and a whole host of different products and methods. Although I've still got a lot to learn I think I have progressed more in the past year in terms of better and more realistic finishes than I had in the previous 15-20 years!     

I too selected to build this pair in as a 'dogfight double'.  Starting with the Blenheim, I found the forward cockpit a bit of a handfull.  I wasn't aware [then] of the extent to which pre-painting coud affect the ease of assembly given the precise fit of the parts [before painting] was as pronounced as I found it to be.  I didn't achieve the best of fit.  Having said that, the kit does assemble very well, the only other 'take great care' area being the engine cowlings.

The lesson for me was that its essential to progress builds on the 'new' Airfix as far as possible then paint.  This should ensure that this potential difficulty is avoided. 

Anyhow, your efforts have prompted me to continue with my own 'dogfight double' from these two kits!

Well the Blenheim is almost complete. I will post some photo's for moderating later of the progress made over the weekend. But almost had a mini-disaster this afternoon, when touching up the turret assembly I dropped it and it fell straight in the 14ml tinlet of gunmetal paint without touching the sides. If Itried it another 100 times I doubt it would happen, but fortunately I managed to rescue  the turret and it cleaned up pretty well.

@ dabhand ....... Yes as I have mentioned I found the cockpit the trickyest part, and yes care had to be taken with the engine cowlings but the detail is superb. I'm glad I'm not the only 1 who likes to copy the Airfix artwork with my modelling and hope you do make progress and get yours finished. Maybe you could post some photo's of your work? 

The progress so far .......... ![

/media/tinymce_upload/112a990a053a5145af6aa654cb3be5ac.JPG

The engine detail is lovely and I hope my painting of them has managed to highlight some of the detail.

/media/tinymce_upload/b5f024d7a053f050f08e7a11426a5006.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b1e83202c19668f1f5226a50253b6562.JPG

Just doing the finishing detail like the bombs and turret. I sometimes think this is the hardest part because after all the hard work to get to this stage, you just want the build finished and I have to make sure I don't rush it and make a mess?

/media/tinymce_upload/8e4458daf55dfdfbc405cf3eeb3ed5a5.JPG

The turret after being emursed deep in a paint pot  🤔

/media/tinymce_upload/a1fba5976c4f1d0b39ab015ee8166ed2.JPG

The Bristol Blenheim Mk.IB is now finished. I shall display it properly on the stand once the Zero has been completed but for now here are a few photo's

/media/tinymce_upload/20d7498301145ac268f59eac8a6464b5.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ea8c5e28da70cc450072caaf3d9b591f.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e694f250adea689a4c0cf3efb981680a.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f1359d61d83c9f244dad00181b516a25.JPG

For the turret I used the larger turret canopy as the turret body is in the raised position for combat. The Air Gunner was pulled from retirement in my spares box and minimal adjustment to fit was required.

/media/tinymce_upload/c70bd411e3f674d0ec949aa4ecedd6f6.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/9984582ce24f82fd3c9c75aecbc50876.JPG

Hi T2B.

I’ve been following your Blenheim build, and it’s turned out to be a real cracker, even with the thread creep, well done. I especially like your inclusion of the air-gunner, adds that finishing touch. Years ago Airfix always included all gunners for the turrets ( See the original releases of the Lancaster & Wellington.) the only ones without gunners in the turrets were the He 111H-20 and the Do 217-E, probably because the canopies and turret bases were quite thick moulding's leaving little or no room for crew members, but with to-days technologies I feel there’s no excuse for not including them.

Now looking forwards to your continuation with the A6M2 Zero build.

Remember we do this for fun                                   John the Pom

@ JS

Thanks for your comments and I am pleased with the finished result. And I agree that gunners and full crew should always be included as it used to be, but it does seem that Airfix are now following other mainstream companies and omitting them despite the many requests of us modellers!

And the Zero will be started tonight so watch this space ..............  😀

@ T2B

The Blenheim build looks mighty impressive, as per usual. As you've a few more Blenheim's to do, might I suggest you acquire some Deluxe Materials Glue N Glaze. It will make the gluing of all that glazing 0 a lot less risky, I wish I'd started using it sooner.

Archived