club benefits

Old Bob

I rejoined the club this year Will I rejoin next ? I probaly will not .Only one club model to purchase.

Long wait for. that Free club model still not arrived from China ?No discount on Hornby direct .

No reliable dealership near me (east London) What is the advantage End of rant.

You get 4 decent magazines a year worth, say £4 each.

A free 0-4-0 loco, probably only worth £20

An exclusive model SECR H class with a saving of about £20

So in total you get about £56 in value for just £28........but only worthwhile if you want all these items.

I enjoy the magazines, I've pre-ordered the H class and the 0-4-0 tank engine becomes a present for my grandson........so I'm happy to be a member............ 😀............HB

You get 4 decent magazines a year worth, say £4 each.

A free 0-4-0 loco, probably only worth £20

An exclusive model SECR H class with a saving of about £20

So in total you get about £56 in value for just £28........but only worthwhile if you want all these items.

I enjoy the magazines, I've pre-ordered the H class and the 0-4-0 tank engine becomes a present for my grandson........so I'm happy to be a member............ 😀............HB

Mr Howbinman. You are right I suppose But only one 'Exclusive model ?: My Bachman club offers  4 locos and several wagons exclusive to the club 

• 4 months later...

I think the Club is worth £28.00.  Renewal should be coming through soon? May be another Club special this year. I've been a member since 2007 - as Howbiman said "the grandchildren" love the free loco - one every year. I think 2019 will be a diesel - I've read it somewhere!

Bagnall Diesel Sunter in Network Rail livery. Page 3 of the 2019 catalogue shows it's image. I like the RailRoad 0-4-0 diesel shunters and I want this one, so I am considering about rejoining this year. I ended in 2014 and have not experienced the new club yet, so with the club locomotive being one that I like and want, this will help get my money's worth, than get another locomotive in a livery that I don't want.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Oh,cool, a NR yellow shunter for club model?  I'm very happy with that, and it certainly makes a change from the usual 0-4-0 steam loco.

In fact it reminds me of my old R801 yellow class 06.  I've still got it somewhere but as I recall the body clips broke after experiencing more than one speed-related accident (usually involveing a sharp drop to the floor).  That thing was quite a rocket!

EDIT: Interesting that there's no mention in either catalogue or club magazine of any follow-ups to the H-class club-exclusive model, but I suppose that makes sense seeing as the latter hasn't arrived yet anyway. (wasn't it originally supposed to available last year sometime?)

Page 3 of the 2019 catalogue shows it's image.

Sorry, it's page 1, not page 3.

@Slornie

Yes, it's yellow and is the Bagnall Diesel Shunter, not the Class 06, which I'm happy with as I like both. I don't like the made 0-6-0 steam loco liveries that Hornby keep producing as the club models and in the RailRoad range, that was one reason I didn't renew my membership 2014. The last diesel shunter model to be a club loco was in 2008, so another has really been overdue. 11 years later in 2019, we have another.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

EDIT: Interesting that there's no mention in either catalogue or club magazine of any follow-ups to the H-class club-exclusive model

Actually, the catalogue does have piece of information about the Hornby Collector Club 'H' Class, as I have typed out here, as it appears in the catalogue's small print on page 1: "Estimated time of arrival is January 2019, but is subject to change." Whether or not does arrive this month, or in March as website says is something different.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Give it a few days Sam. Although Hornby is a big name in railway modelling, I doubt whether there is a huge team of people working on membership, probably one or maybe two when annual membership is due. It's the same when you telephone them, there is probably one person who deals with the call and then passes it on to the relevant department, that's assuming they casn't answer your question. BB

Just received the club loco. And it is last year's one. GWR 18. Even tho when I phoned them they said that the website was out of date and it was to be the one in the catalogue. Plus none of the other items including the mag have arrived so not going to preorder yet. Not good service so far

Even with discount it was still cheaper at Hattons except Hornby is post free above a certain price. I didn’t rejoin but mainly because I don’t want the free loco, rather have had the voucher they used to do. I thought the magazines were pretty good but didn’t keep them. 

I'm sure younger modellers love it, they even get excited about the badge.  😆

Archived