What next?

LCDR

At about this time of year we used to post a list of locos and other items of rolling stock that we might like to see from Hornby, Bachmann etc.  next year , just for a bit of fun mind!

I will kick off with -

1. - Bearing in mind the cover of this year's Hornby catalogue - I will start with a CIWL Night Ferry Sleeping Car, and accompanying Fourgon.

2. - Maunsell inside cylinder 4-4-0 (ideally L1, but D1/E1/L just as good)

3. - 'Walrus' bogie ballast hopper wagon

Considering how in recent times both Hornby and Bachmann, have produced pre-grouping loco's in pre-grouping colours [Hornby the N.B. J36 and S.E.C.R. H. Bachmann the G.N. C1 atlantic and G.C. D11 Director]. How about some pre-grouping carriages & waggons......

I don't know what to suggest really, apart from the 2019 Wagon and the 2019 Catalogue. I would usually come up with a load for the Thomas & Friends range, but with the license ending very soon and the range being discontinued, it would be a waste of time for me to sggestion anything for this range.

GNR-Gordon-4

Mal,

That is a very good and practical suggestion. I have been saying something similar for some time.  Ideally every locomotive sold in a pre-grouping livery ought to be accompanied (optionally) by a contemporary guards brake van. A reasonably authentic pre-grouping goods train can usually be made up from a selection of private owner coal wagons, BUT without a matching guards van  it is impossible.

Hornby did at one time have a LB&SCR guards van to accompany the E2 0-6-0T, (now sadly lost because it has been altered to make "Thomas".)

A  nice North British, South Eastern & Chatham, Great Eastern or London & South Western guards van would certainly go well with recent models. Many pre-grouping vans survived Grouping and ended up on BR so there are multiple livery opportunities from one set of tooling.

Hornby did produce the LBSC guards van in SR livery in the fairly recent past so I don't think this would be difficult to do again in Brighton colours. The problem is the stock to make up trains (coaches in particular). I have an LBSC cattle to go with theLBSC version. I only wish I had purchased 5 more to make up a reasonable pick up goods train.

One would like to think that Marketing research ensured that each new loco model would have a suitable set of stock to go with it, either pre-existing in catalogue or introduced to market with the loco, else we will all be running Heritage Railways mish-mash rakes.

Rob

One would like to think that Marketing research ensured that each new loco model would have a suitable set of stock to go with it, either pre-existing in catalogue or introduced to market with the loco, else we will all be running Heritage Railways mish-mash rakes.

Rob

yes you would hope that was the case.

I can understand coaches as pregrouping there were still a lot of 4 and 6 wheel versions about (Hornby did produce celestory coaches in various liveries - I am not sure how many were models of actual coaches).

Wagons there is very little about even though Hornby and Bxxxx have produced locos in pre grouping liveries

Having just brought and lloked through the latest Hornby Magazine the number of new items being released and being 3d printed ready for tooling etc is eye watering and wallet emptying

Hate to think what Hornby has been planning.

Sligtly off topic would like to get hold of this months Railway modeller to see and read the Jules Holland artical on his layout, he has even got a small minic motorway layout.

Rod Stewart, has a 1500 sq ft layout, he was on This Morning today, and said when he was on tour he had flight cases with his stuff in so he could do his modelling in the hotel room in between performances, the hotels even provided extractor fans to ventilate the paint fumes,

Roger Daltry lead singer of the Who was involved with other celebrities  and enthusiasts in trying to set up a permanent model railway exhibition near Ashford (Kent), although nothing has been said about it for a number of years.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...