HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH/PRINCE OF WALES AIRCRAFT CARRIERS

Fairmile

Hi all. 

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if this query/comment has been asked before. 

Does anyone know when Airfix are going to produce a decent sized kit of the new RN Aircraft Carriers? I have emailed Airfix asking this question but not had any reply. I keep getting asked what I want for Christmas and I say a kit of HMS Queen Elizabeth but no-one has been able to find one. I suspect that Airfix are being too slow to react and have already missed the lucrative Christmas market. Anyone like to guess who will bring out a good sized, detailed model first - Tamiya, Trumpeter? I would really love to build this kit and hopefully modify it to be radio controlled but it looks like that isn't going to happen soon. 

Airfix had a scratch built model on display at Scale Model World and were canvassing visitors whether or not they would like to see a 1/350 model on the Airfix catalogue. A kit of such size and complexity will have a considerable gestation period, so there was never any question of unavailability for the 'lucrative Christmas market' in 2019, it was never going to happen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed I feel that as Airfix is the predominant British producer of plastic kits it's almost expected that they should be the predominant producer of Royal Navy ships which they once were but in the 600th scale. They have already dipped their toes in the 350 scale and now with so much interest in the Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales carriers Airfix could be sitting on a real money maker. But one does wonder if Trumpeter hasn't already started on this ship as they do seem to have a penchant for producing aircraft carrier kits. 

I just hope that if Airfix do decide to do the QE and P&W that they give them a decent air complement or make add-on aircraft availabe, also incrude some deck handling equipment. I'm sure the after market boys will quickly come up with various photo etch sets. Then hopefully Airfix might turn their hands to some of the other great and famous Royal Navy ships from the past. We can always live in hope.

Remember we do this for fun                   John the Pom

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see no QE or POW included in the 2020 catalogue. Two new British aircraft carriers and no British manufacturer prepared to make a kit of them. Was the vote at Scale model world an early April fools joke. Feel so let down, by Airfix.

How long do you think it takes to develop the moulds. Airfix were only canvassing in November, and if they decided to to make one immediately we probably wouldn't see the plastic until late 2021 (probably 2022).

Airfix do seem to have missed the bus with many modellers of "floaty things", regardless of scale, and significant anniversaries they could've been marketed with, ie 100th anniversary of Dreadnaught's launch, 100th anniversary of WW1 (start or finish), 100th anniversary of HMAS Sydney battering SMS Emden at Cocos, 100th anniversary of Battle of Jutland, the misses just goes on and on.

It does take time to produce a kit of any ilk, so I think you should look for a 2021/22 date at the earliest for a kit of the new QE carriers,

I just want one in 1/600 scale as I do not touch 1/350, wrong scale, too expensive, did I say wrong scale ??

I don't hold out much hope, one way or the other (one scale or the "other"), as I've sent MANY emails to Airfix with either canned responses or no response at all.

Perhaps it is a good thing for them to wait a bit before releasing a kit of the new carriers.  In the past when they've rushed out with a kit it has tended to be based on early drawings / mock ups ...... thinking 1st release Concorde here ......  If they do get around to producing kits of the carriers now that they are in service they could get a more accurate representation .................At least that's how I console myself!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late replying but might I suggest that before going for a Queen Elizabeth or Prince of Wales Airfix might try something a little smaller? One of the new OPV 2 class could be a good introductory model ,presumably it would be at a more affordable price, and not too large to store when made up. The Type 23 has been produced by several manufacturers and the Airfix Type 45 is a good model though there might be some mileage in an update pack. Now might also be a good time to start work on a Type 31. Some of the Hunt and Sandown class mine warefare vessels are still in the Fleet. Again much smaller, and cheaper,  than a carrier, in both senses.

• 4 months later...

To every technical problem there is usually one good solution - slight variations yes - but in general the solutions are very similar.  This is because they are all designed to resolve the same set of issues.

The problems are common to all .....support warplanes - take-off / land, service, arm and control   ..... it's not surprising the solutions are all similar.  The end they are trying to achieve is the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely buy a 1/350 QE kit at around the 200 to 250 GBP mark, as long as it has the following:

All aricraft elavators movable

Hangar structure and a reaonable detail level

Some degree of interior detail for the Bridge & Flight ops & clear parts for the windows of these

A reasonable complement of aircraft included (even if the real ones don't yet ;))

Some deck crew figures & aircraft handling equipment

Maybe some PE detail parts for railings etc

Availability of add ons at a reasonable price - ie more aircraft, equipment, personnel, pe detail up

Movable Air defence systems

option and parts to motorise the moving radars and props (slow rotation) 

I'd also be willing to pre-order up to 3 months before release.

• 1 month later...

That would be a masive kit and a massive investment for both Airfix and the modeller.  Over the last few years, there have been some amazing models issued, but the price tag is horrendous.  I have managed to get all the Airfix 1/24th releases, however, though usually all when getting discounts.  £200+ would scare me off completely.I have collected all the Airfix 1/600 range over the years, getting quite a few of most all of them.  I also have the Type 45 and Illustrious, but will need to send off for the Atlantic Models detail sets for these.  I would buy a 1/600 QE Carrier, but I don't think that Airfix will be adding to that range, unfortunately.  I'm not sure if they think that a jump to 1/700 would be advisable, given the circumstances.  Oddly enough, ships always seem very expensive when compared to Aircraft.  The fact that the Airfix ship range was around the same price is the reason that I have so many of them.

I realise that many modellers have the cash to buy all the very expensive, top-of-the-line kits, but I'm not one of them.  Still, they did manage the 1/24th Mosquito, which seems to have been a good seller, probably because it is well priced for what you get, and less expensive than others in smaller scales.Best of luck to you avid would be QE / PoW Builders.  I'll just restrict myself to rebuilding the whole 1/600 range from my stash of old Airfix kits.  

I'd love to see a 1/350 kit for these carriers!  Maybe an entire carrier group - RFA, frigates, sub...?

Having said that, I'd much rather have a 1/350 fleet of Cold War RN vessels - plenty to choose from, although HMS Plymouth might be a good starting point I suppose. 

The type 41s & 61s had a common hull, so maybe they'd be a more economical proposition as far as moulds are concerned? Lots of options, too, so plenty of scope for repeat purchases (contrast original fit HMS Lynx with her final configuration, or original HMS Lincoln vs final, etc).

I'd buy the lot! 😆

• 3 months later...

I have made plenty of 1/350 kits all of the following with photo etch added.

USS enterprise with full air wing, hangar interior and  interior lighting, Likwise Nimitz. Also  Bismark, Missouri, Yamato, Prince of Wales.

Whilst large carriers obviously contain plenty of plastic, they do not contain many parts in their basic form. They are far simpler in construction. A look at the spruces of either of my carriers would show this. The most numerous parts are probably the much duplicated life raft boxes.

Airwings cost a fortune if you take that route, with the kits, the photo etch and then the individual, unique aircraft markings. You can have as few or as many as you like. A sparse hangar deck would suit many (although I went the whole hog throughout with interior walls, fire door, double skins at lift apertures etc etc). Total cost for Nimitz  would be Kit £140, Etch £120, Aircraft £70, Decals deck and aircraft £70, LED lighting £20, Hangar parts from plastic sheet, spares box etc £5... Total £425. Model making ain't cheap. I would upload some images, but the site won't allow them from my iPad.

An HMS QE would not in my opinion be any more difficult to produce (with just a hangar deck inside and no walls etc), than an Illustrious. Improving it with PE would be covered by Lion Roar,  Ensign, Toms or similar. There are only 2 aircraft types, F35B and Merlin ASW and AEW fit  (one extra part).. around 50 at most. The rest would be down to the doubtless grateful modeller.

• 2 weeks later...

Airfix could do well enough with the new carriers, after all, they will be in service for around 50 years, according to plans.  They will be very large kits in 1/350th.  811 mm long and 210 mm wide at the deck, 111 at the waterline.  Add the stands and it will be quite tall, too.  That is a lot of plastic, so a hefty price tag and a hefty tooling cost, as well.  They already do a Type 45, so the addition of a Type 26 later, would be well on the way to a carrier group.

No doubt, Airfix have looked at this and done the sums.  Let's see what happens in a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

I have made plenty of 1/350 kits all of the following with photo etch added.

USS enterprise with full air wing, hangar interior and  interior lighting, Likwise Nimitz. Also  Bismark, Missouri, Yamato, Prince of Wales.

Whilst large carriers obviously contain plenty of plastic, they do not contain many parts in their basic form. They are far simpler in construction. A look at the spruces of either of my carriers would show this. The most numerous parts are probably the much duplicated life raft boxes.

Airwings cost a fortune if you take that route, with the kits, the photo etch and then the individual, unique aircraft markings. You can have as few or as many as you like. A sparse hangar deck would suit many (although I went the whole hog throughout with interior walls, fire door, double skins at lift apertures etc etc). Total cost for Nimitz  would be Kit £140, Etch £120, Aircraft £70, Decals deck and aircraft £70, LED lighting £20, Hangar parts from plastic sheet, spares box etc £5... Total £425. Model making ain't cheap. I would upload some images, but the site won't allow them from my iPad.

An HMS QE would not in my opinion be any more difficult to produce (with just a hangar deck inside and no walls etc), than an Illustrious. Improving it with PE would be covered by Lion Roar,  Ensign, Toms or similar. There are only 2 aircraft types, F35B and Merlin ASW and AEW fit  (one extra part).. around 50 at most. The rest would be down to the doubtless grateful modeller.

Not only three aircraft types. You are forgetting Merlin HC Mk4 and Chinook, which is cleared for WNLZ. 

• 4 months later...

I have heard from a friend in China (works in marketing for a South Korean firm there and I live in Seoul so not as strange as it sounds) that Trumpeter has one in the works. I have several 350 kits from them - Nimitz and Constellation aircraft carriers and Wasp landing ship plus a couple of littoral ships - and have been impressed with the detailing and parts fit.

Have to say Airfix has missed the boat on this one as Trumpeter has quite a large array of ships in this scale.

Will update on QE and/or PoW if it pans out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting heavily into the idea of aircraft carriers, so may attempt a scratch build of one of the new ones eventually. There seem to be a lot of good photos around suddenly. However I've kind of set my sights on building an Invincible class in 1:600 first, then possibly doing another 1:600 Victorious conversion, this time to the Ark Royal of the 1960's. And I really should actually do Victorious as Victorious. And then there's Hermes....

So many models to build, so little time!!!

I would be quite pleased if Airfix didn’t do a kit of the new aircraft carriers.

I think that they are rather ugly ships so won’t have the “kerb appeal” to make them a popular subject.

much rather Airfix updated their 1/72 costal craft kits or even brought out a Fairmile C,D or a Grey Goose steam gun boat