0-6-0 locos stalling on points

annagr

96RAF, have you not noticed that you have quote replied to a 3 & 3/4 year old post resurrected by Ian.

I am always being tripped up by these old posts. We have tried to get an auto-age lock on them but to no avail and trawling for and manually locking old posts is a no-no job.

Even though it is an old topic, there is some useful info within. I think Mr Lambert's contribution was under appreciated, I used his website for reference quite a bit early on. Make sure it isn't a short cutting the power rather than a stall.

Identifying the actual problem makes solving it potentially much easier. To that end, even a simple, cheap, auto-ranging multimeter is a very useful tool. An audible continuity tester is an essential function on one.

With the track power off, having a prod around with a multimeter can be quite revealing. If you hold one lead against a known working bit of rail and move the other over the point and all of the rails that should be live you will identify a dead-spot if there is one. It can happen if the contact between the switch rail and the stock rail becomes dirty for example.

On the Hornby and Peco points choice, I will say that Hornby points have a bigger dead spot at the "frog" which is better for older stock with course wheels that can short across the frog on the Peco points. This is more of a problem if you use point clips or feed power from all three ends of the point. The both have their pros and cons.

Good summary Barry, and no undervaluing of Brian Lambert (Flashbang) here, one of my most used sources (confirmed in General forum stickies).

But one piece of advice missing - ensure your points are dead flat using a straight edge. Pinning in the middle most often is the solution, or filing the tops of frogs if sitting proud.

... course wheels that can short across the frog on the Peco points. This is more of a problem if you use point clips or feed power from all three ends of the point. The both have their pros and cons.

This is why I would always advise against "back-feeding" power into the frog end of any point - even dead frog types. I've seen similar issues with wheels bridging and shorting at the frog in other scales (N and G for example).

I treat all points the same as Peco Electrofrog: power only ever fed in from the toe end (blades end) of a formation of points, and isolating joiners on any frog V rails which have a power feed further along.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing I have noticed is the difference in "stay alives" and the relationship with the decoder. I found using the same LaisDCC "stay alive" on a Zimo and a Train O Matic decoder on the same 0-6-0 loco, the loco ran longer on the Zimo decoder. I must admit I was surprised