Princess Elizabeth Centenary train set

Wobbley Junction

I am very pleased that this post appeared when it did. After seeing it I checked on my pre-orders to discover that the payment had been refused, and I had only until tomorrow (15th October) to sort it out.  Normally I would get an email from Hornby if there was a problem, usually because I needed to confirm my CVV. However this time No Email! 

I tried to correct this on the website only to get repeated error messages everytime I tried. So this morning I telephoned the nice lady at Hornby Customer Services and she sorted it out for me. Thank you!

I now await my train set with bated breath!

The title of this post could be misleading to many who unaware of the early days of 00 gauge electric model railways. The first models of Princess Elizabeth were in black and manufactured by Rovex.The first Rovex train set featuring Princess Elizabeth arrived in time for Christmas 1950. In October 1951, the Lines Bros. Group bought Rovex Plastics Ltd outright.

Along with Frog (model aircraft kits), Tri-ang was a brand name used by Lines Bros. and so Tri-ang Railways was born.Tri-ang Railways became Tri-ang Hornby in 1965, becoming Hornby Railways in 1972.THe name Hornby Hobbies appeared fdor the first time in 1976.

This set is one of the items released by Hornby to celebrate 100 years of Hornby AND 70 years of Tri-ang, which were the antecedents of the present Hornby Model Railways. The original Princess Elizabeth set was actually made by Rovex which was quickly taken over by the Lines Group (Tri-ang) to meet a requirement to supply Marks & Spencers with a train set for Christmas. Hornby Dublo in those days was just getting started again after the War, but being made of metal was a much more expensive. Rovex on the other hand exploited the new 'wonder material' plastic which resuklted in a less expensive product. The set included a short representation of a LMS Princess Royal pacific and two very short LMS style corridor carriages. Unlike Hornby Dublo it exploited the advantage of insulation by plastic and adopted two rail power collection.

At the same time a company called Pyramid Toys were making a OO scale clockwork train set with an N2 0-6-2 tank and an open and a covered wagon under the brand Trackmaster and Lines took this into their product range. The metal wheels were given insulation so that it could operate with the Princess Elizabeth set.

Early proper Tri-ang models included an LMS 3F 0-6-0T for the British scene, but also a Bo-Bo F7 type American diesel and a Canadian version of the Pacific with a bogie tender. These overseas models were called Transcontinental, to make them suitable for export. To accompany the former Trackmaster wagons Tri-ang initially made a brake van, and gradually added tank wagons and flat wagons with various loads to their range. Bogie freight cars for the Transcontinental range also appeared.

Carriages improved gradually. The original Rovex coaches were incredibly short, six inches long, but some 7 inch carriages appeared soon after, in crimson & cream or green. There was only one type, no brake carriage was available originally, but later a 9 inch long carriage which included a brake third, a composite, a resturant car and a utility van appeared in the range. A Pullman car soon followed. Transcontinental carriages included a Vista Dome Car and an observation car which had clear plastic representations of these recognisable American features. 

More models followed and the range quickly grew to seriously challenge Hornby Dublo and the other big player in those days the originally Bassett Lowke sponsored Trix system which had originated in Germany before the War. Another contemporary company, Graham Farish always remained a small player but after moving into N gauge in the 1970s found it niche and is now part of the Bachmann empire.

Growing up in the 1950s was an exciting time for model railway enthusiasts like me, although it was quite an expensive hobby and Christmas and Birthdays were the chief events when the collection might expand.

Certain developments stand out, notably the appearance of Rosebud Kitmaster and Airfix plastic kits which allowed modelling to take place at pocket money prices. These are sorely missed, especially Kitmaster, although it is good that Dapol still make some of them, as well as the Airfix wagons. I was able to convert my Tri-ang Princess Elizabeth into a Battle of Britain pacific using the Kitmaster kit, and the Kitmaster Mark 1 carriages were great to build.

Non very cheapo these days! The original Rovex set was 57/6d IIRC, say £75 in todays devalued currency. The Hornby set costs rather more, as in about three times - admitted it is rather better.

There are plenty of the original Tri-ang Princesses about. Just take care if purchasing one. Up to about 1956 they were made from cellulose acetate plastic renowned for its inability to stay straight.

I looked at the model, but it's nothing like the original so decided it wasn't for me.  The original was British made, not made in Cheapo China.  

The irony being the original British made set is to modern eyes a decidely 'cheapo' effort even though it was not cheap, and the 'Cheapo China' modern version is a much more exquisitely detailed effort. I have an absolutely immaculate example of the original 1950 set and whilst it is a great collector's piece it is incredibly basic and unrefined. 

My set arrived on Monday, and the first thing that struck me was how large the box was. Beautifully packaged and in the papier mache box divider I do particularly appreciate. Haven't run it yet but hope it will be soon.

It might have been nice if the locomotive and coaches which are in the normal plastic sleeves were encased in a reproduction of the distinctive  original Rovex individual packaging. Maybe someone will come up with some repro cardboard sleeves to go round the plastic ones?

I suppose Jimyjames, you buy the set then sell on the stuff you don't want. It is easy for me to say, I must admit I have a Pendolino Train set that I bought just for the Pendolino and have never got round to getting rid of the bits I don't want.

@LC

I recently got R1237 Night Mail set and the box was over-proportioned shall we say for the contents, however the papier mache liner was ideal for the task making getting the models out very simple. Each part of the set was either in a poly bag or had a plastic sheet wrapped around it to preclude abrasion by the cardboard liner. Much easier to get at the contents than extracting individual loco or coach stock from their boxes.

@ Colin :- Thanks - I know what you mean - I must admit - I think that I have bought a few Train Sets in the Past - just for the Loco & Rolling Stock & that is why I have ended up with more Controllers, curved Track etc than I really wanted!!!

@ Raf :- A quite a few yrs ago now I also got the Night Mail set (R1144) but never got it to work propably  ☹️

• 3 months later...