General Quality of Set

didyousayhello

We bought an Extreme Speed set for our son for Christmas, and I find myself a little disappointed. The track doesn't click together well, regularly coming apart (I remember them having circular push together clips when I was a lad!). Also, one of the controllers, when set on any speed setting but 4 is just inconsistent. Some times the car just stops, goes slow, or you can't get it started in the first place. All of these issues are from new, I've replaced the threads, checked track is pushed in properly, the works.

Am I just misremembering how inconsistent Scalextric is, or is there something wrong with the set? I've reached out to customer services about the one controller as I'm pretty sure that's faulty, but the other issues don't feel premium either.

Any comments/thoughts welcomed! Thanks

I'm not sure of the Extreme Speed set. I've had great service and consistency out of the Scalextric sets I've purchased since I got into 1:32 scale slot cars as a hobby. 

If your track is easily pulling apart if it Scalextric "Sport" Track ? or is it the lessor type known as "Starter" track? If it's starter I'd recommend you send it back and get something like the iPace Challenge or Internation set for a lower priced beginners set. 

As for the cars running inconsistently I wonder if you would find greater performance by searching youtube  and looking at how to adjust the pickup braids. For new slot cars in 1:32 scale (all brands) how the pickup braids are adjusted makes a big impact on how consistent and well the cars move around the track. 

The other factor in how well the cars will handle curves etc is in the condition of the tires. New tires will have trouble with grip. By sanding the tires so they are even all the way around the contact surface. The best way to do this is to sand the rear tires one at a time. It would be best to look at the paperwork that comes with the set. Also to learn how to adjust your braids and sand the tires (true the tires) you can do an internet search or youtube. There is even a video on youtube that Scalextric helped produce. 

Hope this helps.

Hey guys. I have 5 sets and have not had the track come apart in what seems to be the stressful manner you are talking about. Amongst the sets I have the 24h Lemans (Digital) set. If you're saying you have Sport Track, I'm not sure why yours is coming apart.

You guys might want to flip over a couple pieces and see how they clip together and are held in place. This may be something you've already done as it seems you've been around slot car tracks a while. I suggest this only because when I switched from Scalextric Classic track and SCX, I looked at the bottom of my (then new) Sport Track to help me do better getting it apart after struggling to figure out what to squeeze to get to pieces apart when I start messing with layout changes. Honestly that also helped me to get it firmly interlocked, which may be why I've had not problems  🤔.

I will say I'm happier with Sport Track from the deeper slot. Though It may have been even better had the surface pattern remained like that of the classic track. Then I could have used an adapter to extend and cross over to sport digital over a longer period of time.

In case you're wondering my setup is on a 28x8 foot table, is four lanes and can run Arc Pro (digital) most often using Magic Arc App, or dual Arc Pro (combinged with a track mat I/R light bridge and PC Lapcounter) to have 4 lanes of analog. 

I have literally thousands of peices of track and never have problems with connections.

In fact for an event I proke up a 15 meter track into 5 sections and transported the sections.

There is always the chance though that you got hold of a bad batch.

Use the link on the right to contact Customer Services  and send them pictures of the problem. I am sure they can help.

Have never had problems with scaly sport track connections in 20 years of using it after my 60s revell.

(scaly is designed for serious track building while revell had to be hand cut )

It is generally harder to disconnect if not done properly.

The classic from before the 21st century was shallow and thought those connectors were poor.

The picture missing is that of the overall track.

Have seen gaps like that before due to improper assembly caused by ignoring the math when trying to fit the wrong pieces together without straightness when balancing the track.

Suggesting using a ruler and yard/meter stick to check straightness.

Learn the proper width of curves avaiable on line but apparently missing on help and advice at top of page.

Taking notes helps with measurements.

Invest in shorts for track building and have some quarters and halves too.

Improper track connection will cause loss in power as will improper 2 piece guide assemby following accidents or pulling car backwards or the replacement of braids.

If the controller will not operate properly on both lanes, it is probably bad.

• 3 years later...

I have had the same issue. I think the new Scalextric track is complete rubbish, not as robust as the older sets from say the 80's even and the company needs to have a complete review of this and make this toy 'fit for purpose'. My grandson is so, so disappointed, ruined his Christmas and based on this recent purchase, unless my faith can be restored, I will not be looking to expand and acquire more accessories for him and would not advise anyone to buy the ‘new’ sets due to the constant (see many comments about this) track issues.

You are entitled to your opinion and Hornby/Scalextric do make mistakes from time to time but the fact is things usually go right more than they go wrong and when they go wrong Hornby usually can help.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had any major issues, Scalextric Sport track isn't the best track system out there and if I was starting over again I would probably switch to Policar. I like the track clips that lock track pieces with Policar.

Sometimes the track comes apart because it is well used and you need to bend the tabs to get a tight connection. Other common issues are the connectors need replacing or tightening. Track can also need cleaning.

If cars are stuttering then it is a connection issue either in the track, braid to track or wires to the motor. It is all a big circuit at the end of the day. Braids need to be shaped, spread and conditioned / cleaned. You can also switch to copper or racing braid.

I build cars from kits or scratch, had issues with cars stuttering and had to fault find. Being able to carry out maintenance of the track and cars is essential in enjoying the product. Just like a real car they require maintenance, motors can give out, tyres need replacing, gears break, track needs cleaning or treating against corrosion.

I keep my Scalextric track outside year round. All the sets use the same track, from the cheapest to most expensive.