Profanity Filter Banned Words

Guest Chrissaf

Just to advise.

The list of words your moderators put forward to the developers to remove from the banned word profanity filter database have now been removed.

Already, I have started to see words appear in posts that were originally included on the 'banned word' list.

• 1 month later...

The profanity filter detection has now been updated on the new forum. When a 'banned' word is detected in the post creation box after you try to 'save' the post. The post is reopened in edit mode with the offending word highlighted in yellow. This then gives members the option to substitute the banned word for something that will be accepted.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

That doesn't make sense at all. Special characters in whatever formation cannot be considered profane unless there is a well established meaning for such a formation.

But the original word might well get trapped in the filter as it wouldn't surprise me if Hornby consider references to alcohol inappropriate given the possible young age of members.

One of the old rules was no profanity, etc or replacement of letters in a profane word with special characters in attempt to blind side the auto-checker.

Unfortunately we have no direct access to amend the profane dictionary when required. It all has to be referred back to Hornby IT.

@Fishy & Brew Man

There is a bit of "Chinese Whispers" at play here. Gitter only used the "V*^#a" text string in THIS thread to indicate what word [Russian drink] he was trying to write in his triggering post. I have seen his original post and he replaced the banned V..... word with "Russian Alcohol Drink" or something similar [working from memory here].

If "V*^#a" was a trigger text string, then it would not be appearing in this thread.

Yes, it does seem that V..... is the only alcoholic drink in the filter. I tried googling it to see if there was some profanity reference but could find none. Why this Russian Drink is in the filter is a mystery.

• 2 months later...

You should have seen the original list of banned words that we Mods had to wade through and provide rationale as to why they were not rude. Literally a dictionary of thousands of glib words, some obviously not for the forum and some in current general use.

We have what we have and exceptions are noted for acceptance.