Airfix Forum Users: We Need You!

Jess D

Hi everyone!

You might have seen me in a couple of posts but if not, my name is Jess and I work within the Airfix team.

In light of a recent post titled: "have we all stopped building Airfix kits?" and all of your very valid comments underneath, I wanted to open this discussion up for suggestions on improvements.

We understand that there was quite a drop off during the building process of the new forum and that there are still a few features missing (historical photos). We have also been made aware of additional features that users would like added; a like option and private messaging function. This has all been carefully catalogued and will be moved to development as soon as possible.

In the meantime. we would love to hear from you, about anything else which you would like to see on here? Anything which might have you going over to ATF or Britmodellers instead of here- please don't hold back! Functions you would like added, issues you have encountered, etc. we want to hear it all!

Please comment any suggestions below!

Perhaps not really a direct answer to any of the questions that you have asked, but one idea to promote engagement and continued loyalty (and interest) might be to offer some feedback to the suggestions made in the 'Wish List' section of the forum. For example, I recently suggested a 'double' set of reissuing the RAF Rescue Launch with the Supermarine Walrus in 1/72 scale - it would be great and would promote engagement and product loyalty if your R&D people could respond to these suggestions with some kind of feedback of likelihood (or giving reasons why not!)...

Hi Jess and it's nice to know that the Airfix Team is monitoring and listening to the Forum. That is a first and big step forward as it has in the past seemed that the management of Airfix don't listen to the forum or its customers, so going forward regular involvement and feedback would be good.

You have already mentioned 2 of the main improvements I would recommend, getting all historical content and images from the previous forum uploaded, and the addition of a 'like' function to posts!

I also use the ATF as a useful tool to display my attempts at modelling but would also like to see the Airfix Forum revived and the return of missing users.

Thank you, Nigel

For my part, a like function and the ability to contact via personal message would be enough. Some forums can get very complicated with lots of features I rarely use.

It is good to know we are being heard. Airfix has a lot of loyal fans.

Many of my builds at present aren’t Airfix kits, but I am more than happy to post progress and gallery threads when I do build from a red box. I’ve got quite a few in the stash, biding their time!

Right,

First off, I'd like the most recently active topics to be at the top of the discussion rather than the most recently started, and next, the double posting isuue needs to be sorted, because it freezes and if someone clicks the frozen post button it gives a double post.

That's all really,

C.T.

Jess,

Thank you for starting this topic, and mentioning why..!

I have a few comments as you might expect.

1. In the time I have been visiting the Forum, I have really enjoyed seeing the quality of model builds as well as the depth of information shared and the encouragement provided to newcomers. This is a strength of the Forum, but is apparent in others too. It is to be encouraged and if possible expanded.
  2. The fact that you have started this topic is a major advance. I have lost count of the topics that bemoan the lack of interaction & response from Airfix as a company. I feel sure many modellers would relish the opportunity of having a direct line to Airfix management, so it is important that this is handled properly. You may consider having a management position with a line item in their job description to ensure regular interaction with this Forum.
  3. I’m going to make this my last point, for now. A lot of modellers regularly read Airfix Model World. That publication very often reviews non-Airfix kits, mainly in a complimentary way. That option ought to exist on this Forum.

Needless to say, I agree with the other contributors above, and will probably add more thoughts once my iPad has recharged.

Best wishes,

Dominic

Would it be possible to have system whereby anyone who posts in a thread would receive an email telling him that someone else has answered/ posted in the thread that he first posted in?

It would serve to keep a discussion going and make interaction more interesting.

A lot of modellers regularly read Airfix Model World. That publication very often reviews non-Airfix kits, mainly in a complimentary way. That option ought to exist on this Forum.

Hi Dom, AMW is a wholly independent publication by Key Publications that has permission to use the Airfix name and is not owned or influenced by the Hornby Group or the Airfix brand.

Hi Dom, to expand on Ratch's reply there is nothing in the Airfix Forum rules that prevents discussion, or comparison with models from another model company. And users have previously posted images for comparison and in the Pandemic Gallery thread of their work from many brands.

The rules merely states that promoting another's product (such as a full build thread for that product) is to be discouraged. And being this is Airfix's Forum, intend for there products I think that is fair enough.

I would like the forum pages to open at the top, rather than at the end, leaving you to scroll up. As mentioned above, a Button will do.

I would quite like a LIKE button. If we read something that we like and agree with, it may give you a feel for how that suggestion / post is agreed with. Also handy when someone suggests a subject, or re-release.

I have mentioned it before on Wishlists about some free, or very low priced downloads. My suggestions would be some basic airfield structures, bases and backgrounds for aircraft. ( These would go with some of your RAF Vehicles and figures.) Bases and backgrounds for AFVs etc, and some village / building / garage backgrounds for cars. Possibly a seascape, or simple harbour for your ships.

With them being downloads, they could be scaled by the modeller to suit the kit. All kits look better when shown on a scenic base. Maybe free downloads to Club Members. These can be printed onto A4 textured paper, cut and pasted onto some art board and attached to a base. Just a thought.

In another thread somebody was asking about completed model photos that used to appear on the catalogue pages. How about adding gallery pages to the various genres here? Restricted to say 5-6 images per post and locking the thread so it doesn't get filled up with chatter, simply for viewing.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the responses so far- they’re all incredibly insightful and helpful. I’m going to do my best to get back to everyone in the comments but please continue posting ideas as they occur to you!

null_null98: This a wonderful idea- thank you for suggesting it! We’re going to coordinate with our Design team and work out the best system for them to be present in the thread without it distracting too much from the rest of their work.

An aside- we can’t comment on new projects that we have in the works (because it’s top-secret goods!) but we can definitely record your ideas and interact on the thread.

T2B: These are in high demand and we have added them to our development list. I can’t promise when you’ll be able to use these functions, but they are definitely a work in progress.

We have always tried to listen to our customers and forum users- you’re at the heart of everything we do. However, we are the first to acknowledge that there have been failings on our side. We’re working hard every day to improve this for you all and as always, welcome feedback and constructive criticism. We’re very excited for the future of the forum and look forward to interacting with you all more closely.

Gilbert_H: Two fantastic suggestions! There would be a definite improvement from adding these functions as I too have experienced this now that I’m regularly on the forums. They have been added to our development list and I hope to update you with progress soon!

Heather Kavanagh: I understand the frustration of too many functions- we’re going to do our best to keep the forums as user friendly as possible. Glad you’re on board with the like and private message functions, I think they’re very much in demand!

Wonderful to hear that you like to post as regularly as you can, thank you for keeping the forums interesting. I look forward to seeing your next builds!

Captain Triggers: Two more great ideas, thank you CT. Both are really valid complaints and they have been added to our development list. I look forward to updating you on their progress as soon as I can.

Dominic Thomas: It was my pleasure to start this topic, you are all far more knowledgeable about what you want on here than I am, so it’s about time we put you in the driver’s seat!

1.   It’s great that you have benefitted from the wealth of knowledge on here and we love that this forum is such a positive and helpful place for newcomers. I completely agree that it should be encouraged further- do you have any suggestions on how you would like to see this expanded?

2.   I may not be in a management position, but the forums are an important part of my job role (I’m new to Airfix). I’m going to head up getting the designers on here in some form and we have lots of plans for the forums to come yet. I have also included my email address in my signature, so if anyone on here ever needs to contact me (until we get the private messaging function) please feel free to! I also believe that it’s important for you all to have a direct line to us and although it may not be straight to management, I ensure that everything is passed along.

3.   We absolutely agree that this should exist on the forum as well. While we don’t own that publication like Ratch pointed out, we are definitely up for taking some pointers from them! This option does currently exist on the forum in a capacity, but we are currently discussing how best to expand it. I will keep you updated on the progress of this.

Sailorman: This is a great idea and has been added to our development list!

ian_rutland: Regarding the scroll up button and like button- these functions are on our development list! Your downloads idea is a fantastic one and I have passed your suggestions along to the rest of the team and we are in talks as to whether this is something we can implement. I will keep you updated on the outcome!

dogsbody: It’s great to hear that you are a fan of Airfix! Thank you for continuing to come to us for your builds.

peebeep: This is a lovely idea! I’ll chat to my team (and the wonderful moderators) and see what we can come up with. 

Thanks for the feedback Jess.

And another suggestion for you to ponder due to an issue I again came across over the weekend. The Forum search tool!

If you want to search for say a Buccaneer build thread, when you enter in the search criteria you will get EVERY thread where the word Buccaneer has been mentioned. On the old Website you only got the build thread with Buccaneer in the heading or title, which I personally would prefer!

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your reply. When thinking a little more about it, this came to mind.

The current box art is quite amazing. I wonder if, being digital, the subject could be removed, allowing the empty background to become a display backscene on some models. The completed model could form the 3 dimensional focal point. This is a sort of decoupage idea.

A couple of years ago, our Classic British Kits group displayed Airfix kits against 3D bases made to match the original Airfix Box Art.

Link No 1. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=5806

Link No 2. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=5213

More here about the background . . https://uamf.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=196

Best regards,

Ian

p.s. This year marks my 65th year of building Airfix kits. The first was HMS Victory, the current one on the bench is the new Spitfire Vc in 1/72nd, and I have just ordered the new Canadair Sabre F4.

• 1 month later...

And another suggestion for you to ponder due to an issue I again came across over the weekend. The Forum search tool!

If you want to search for say a Buccaneer build thread, when you enter in the search criteria you will get EVERY thread where the word Buccaneer has been mentioned rachat de credit organisme. On the old Website you only got the build thread with Buccaneer in the heading or title, which I personally would prefer!

Thank you very much for this information. Maybe with a few images it would be even clearer.

If you want to search for say a Buccaneer build thread, when you enter in the search criteria you will get EVERY thread where the word Buccaneer has been mentioned rachat de credit organisme. On the old Website you only got the build thread with Buccaneer in the heading or title, which I personally would prefer!
Thank you very much for this information. Maybe with a few images it would be even clearer.

Stephan, I've been informed that this change is in hand and will hopefully be included in a future update.

• 5 months later...

Clearly NOT Ratch.

After such early promise I think the Forum has been let down again 🙁! I still love Airfix kits and will continue to purchase and build the wonderful new tool models, but feel the Customer Service/Feedback let's the organisation and products down? Hence apart from the odd comment I don't use this Forum much, and post my builds elsewhere ........

Shame on you Airfix!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Jess,

not sure if you are the right person to contact but I hope you can help.

I have recently joined the Airfix club and have received my welcome pack.

On the passport it states I need to enter my membership number when making contact but I don’t see it in my welcome email, or in the pack or indeed in the membership area of the website.

Do I actually need it and if so where can I find it?

Rob

Hi Jess,
On the passport it states I need to enter my membership number when making contact but I don’t see it in my welcome email, or in the pack or indeed in the membership area of the website.

Rob

In other posts I've seen it claimed that you no longer need the "membership number" and one is no longer supplied.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jess,

Rob

Hi Rob, your membership number should be on your membership card. It's the sixteen figures embossed onto the "credit card" sized red card that you should have received in a separate post from you "welcome pack". This card is very useful if you go to any events (such as airshows) where Airfix have their "stands" as it enables you to buy kits etc that were only available to members. Hope this helps. Take care.