Why no power supply?

JS84Z

I can't be the only person who's asked this question. Why would Hornby introduce the HM6000/6100 and not bundle a PSU with it when they know full well that their other PSUs aren't compatible with it?

Like what Sam says in his HM6000 review video "ahhhh.... only Hornby...."

You may already have a suitable power supply, ex Select, eLink or Scalextric over even want to share an Elite 4-amp unit between modules.

Had a PSU been supplied those folk would have moaned they didn’t need another one.

I suspect the major reason is that they can sell it cheaper. So what is different about this PSU requirement?

It's rated at different voltage/amp, non of the PSUs bundled with previous Hornby controllers are compatible with the HM6000. I wonder why they did this? tsk tsk tsk...

I suspect the major reason is that they can sell it cheaper. So what is different about this PSU requirement?

It's rated at different voltage/amp, non of the PSUs bundled with previous Hornby controllers are compatible with the HM6000. I wonder why they did this? tsk tsk tsk...

The HM|DC PSU is the same one provided with their previous Digital sets and controllers. Select and eLInk PSU is 15v 1-amp.

The Scalextric alternative is 15v 1.2-amp and the Elite overkill PSU is 15v 4-amp.

The controlling factor is the 6.3mm jack plug which is fairly unique to Hornby, but you will find it on some Toshiba laptop PSUs.

The analogue PSUs are either 12v or 19v.

@96RAF

Why would anyone who's already on a DCC layout, go and buy a seperate DC controller, disconnect their DCC controller PSU to power the new DC controller, just to start a new DC layout? Does anyone seriously see this scenario happening? and granted, even if that was the case, the HM/DC uses 6.3 mm jack which isn't compatible with the PSU from select/eLink. Hornby did this deliberately.

Not having a rant at you, 96RAF, simply making a point in reference to your post.

The Select, eLink and the Elite ALL USE 6.3mm DC Coax plug connectors.

There have been many instances on this forum where members have raised comments about just not being able to get on with DCC and have subsequently decided to go back to Analogue DC. It is more common than perhaps you realise.

There are several members on here, who have become fed up with DCC. Many thought there old locos would convert, then found problems, doing so, and preferring to run as before, returned to DC. It is not the Big White hope, some would have you belive. In my case, i run both, as have 85 DC locos, and on cost grounds, alone, conversion, makes little sense. The new system, has been a boon for these guys, who happily found that they already had the means to use HM6000., having Select controllers already. As an aside, bare back items, such as drills are now the norm. Here in france, many Cordless tools are sold, purely as the tool. If you want to use it , you have to buy the battery, and the charger, seperately. Obviously, its a way to make initial purchase, cheaper. I have just bought a Makita 36 volt mower. Thats what arrived, just the mower. If i wish to run it , i needed 2x18, volt batteries, plus the charger. Fortunately, similarly, to DCC/DC, i had these, already.

... the HM/DC uses 6.3 mm jack which isn't compatible with the PSU from select/eLink....

You are wrong. As I said and as others have pointed out HM6K DOES use the same 6.3mm jack as the Select, eLink and Elite. They are compatible. These PSUs are listed on the HM6K product pages.

You are wrong. As I said and as others have pointed out HM6K DOES use the same 6.3mm jack as the Select, eLink and Elite. They are compatible. These PSUs are listed on the HM6K product pages.

Sorry, I misread about the 6.3 mm jack. But in response to what others have said. So you have several members in the community who have the "DCC going back to DC" scenario. But I don't imagine the amount of people in this predicament outnumber those who just want to buy a "smart" DC controller to replace their basic controller that comes with a train set such as the R8250, and when they bring it home, they find the existing PSU isn't compatible. Even if the intention is to make the HM6000 as inexpensive/bare bone as possible, there's no reason why they would ship the HM6000 to retailers but not the compatible PSUs. Now, in my case, I simply bit the bullet and bought the iTraveller 6000 train set for £90, because I could use the 3rd radius curve tracks bundled.

I believe there was a logistics faux pas at Hornby as they had ample stock of HM modules but not enough PSUs to go with them.

Select PSUs have been out of stock for some time as the 4-amp unit is listed on the product page as the recommended replacement.

New stocks of the 1-amp units are due delivery in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

These power supplies are in 'short supply' and any stocks [even non Hornby branded ones] are likely to be exhausted due to the demand for them. The reason for the near non existence of alternative branded suitable supplies is the unusual [uncommon] technical specification.

You need a power supply that is 15 volts DC output at a current between 1 and 4 amps [the official Hornby one is 1 amp]. So far, this element of the spec is not unique. But the DC output connector is a very uncommon size. It is a standard DC coax connector style, but with the unusual size of 6.3mm outer diameter of the barrel and a 3.0mm inner pin connector [although a 3.1mm inner connector will also be compatible]. The inner pin of the connector is positive.

Good luck with any hunting for the above power supply specification as there are so many others searching for the same thing.

The UK version comes with a standard UK 3 pin mains plug. I think what 96RAF was trying to allude to, was that the correct power supply for your Country of origin would not only have the correct mains plug type on it for your Country, but may be more readily available as a replacement for the 'out of stock' UK version.

Unless of course what you mean by abroad, is outside the main UK shores but still in a UK territory [Channel Islands for example] where UK 3 pin plug types are still used.

yes sorrry. I actually live in Dubai currently and it is close to impossible to get things while there so try and get what I can once back in the UK. All power/3 pins are same as the UK.

However, I do have many adapters (electric in Dubai come in from everywhere) so tempted to just get a foreign psu.

thank you

The official HM | DC product pages do state that the Hornby P9300 power supply is also compatible and that is rated at 4 amps. Thus the HM6010 product is designed to function with a power pack of higher current than 1 amp capability.

What I have done is to use an Elite power brick with a home made splitter. These are readily available for CCTV cameras or guitar pedals as cat-o-9-tails or daisy chain, but they are the wrong size for this job.

forum_image_610bd12f5d9f6.png.0c2511c9814f8c1fe6cb9816233a152d.png

forum_image_610bd13107c68.png.16c60a6dca81e1deff2eba5d27c663da.png

This allows me to power up to four HM6K modules from one power brick, hence two will power the current App limit of seven modules (4 x HM6000 plus 3 x HM6010).

The correct size jack plugs are readily available on-line but no one makes a suitable socket. I found an extension cable claiming to have the right size plugs and socket but the socket was undersize to accept the Hornby plug pin, so I robbed a socket from a dead eLink PCB.

You may be able to get a tame local electrician to make you up such a splitter cable.

It is hoped Hornby will have the common sense to produce a similar product.