Hermes delivery issues

Cliverdee

I’ve had 2 deliveries since Hornby switched to Hermes and on both occasions the courier has tried to deliver 2 doors up from me. My neighbours were out on both occasions and the failed delivery photo and sat nav location shows their house. This is rubbish service and after the 1st occasion I suggested to Hornby they need to change to a reliable firm to keep customers. They said they would not change from Hermes but I could pay extra for DPD for faster delivery… not the point as any delivery service needs to be reliable and my latest order was redemption of Flying Hours so no option for DPD….in today’s newspaper I see Hermes comes bottom of the list. I have eventually got my orders due to the kindness of my neighbours who put a large note on their front door telling the Hermes courier to find the correct house as was clearly shown on both address labels. I won’t renew my Airfix or Hornby memberships nor order from Hornby until they change their delivery service as I can’t expect my neighbours to have to put up with this. I’ve been a member of the Airfix Club for years and am aggrieved that my hobby is affected by their extremely poor courier choice… sorry for the rant but I’ve supported Airfix for 60 years and spent a fortune on their website and never had an issue before Hermes.

You need to take this issue up with the courier company.

Once the courier has the parcel Airfix/Hornby have no control over it

I have a very good Hermes guy. He lives near to me so my parcels are usually the very last he delivers for his workday no matter what the Hermes website or text delivery time advised is. We have this understanding

I did have problems with DPD, who Airfix/Hornby previously used. They kept switching delivery drivers who ignored my written & verbal instructions to never leave my parcels with any neighbour. Sometimes they never even tried to deliver to my address but left it with a 'neighbour' streets away!

"Once the courier has the parcel Airfix/Hornby have no control over it"

OTOH they most certainly do have control over which courier company their customers' orders are entrusted to. I've also had issues with Hermes, including them putting packages in the porch and running away without even knocking the door or ringing the doorbell (I was in; I'm not asking the guy to hang around, just to alert me to "there's somebody at the door".

In July with my previous order when I had the first the problem with Hermes I managed to catch the driver the following day who again was attempting to deliver my parcel 2 doors up. I asked him how he could not see that he was delivering to a different address than that clearly shown on the address label, and he said he could only deliver to where his sat nav showed which was my neighbours house, no matter what the address label said… he explained that his handheld electronic device wouldn’t let him enter that he had delivered anything unless he was at the address it told him to be at… ‘ludicrous’ I said to which he added it was happening more and more !… I contacted Hornby to complain and alert them to the problem with Hermes but felt fobbed off and was told Hermes was the courier but could pay extra for DPD for faster delivery… totally missing the point that any courier who’s business it is to deliver parcels must at least have a reliable system to get it to the correct address. I’ve got to ring Hornby again as the replacement flying hours card wasn’t included with the kit so will again inform them of my recurrent problem with Hermes. I tried to contact Hermes, but their automated systems just say my parcel has been delivered and it is impossible to get through to anything human.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had multiple issues with Hermes and Airfix/Hornby deliveries.

Last year, I placed several orders with Airfix for a number of kits including a 1/24 Typhoon (taking advantage of the discount offered to Club Members). When it finally arrived, it looked as if they had decided to play football with it! The outer packaging was bashed about, and torn. The inner Airfix box, had also suffered some damage. Thankfully, the contents had not been damaged. A second delivery, about 3 months later, suffered the same fate!

Since that time, whenever I have placed an order (if I have been able to) I have always changed the delivery option to express, to have DPD delivery. There have, sadly, also been issues with Airfix website, which have prevented me from being able to change the delivery option and I have been left no choice but to use Hermes.

The latest with them was last week with the delivery of the 2022 Club Package, which was just dumped by my front door. No knock on the door, no ringing of the door bell - no acknowledgement of the delivery at all! For some reason I had felt "prompted" to check for the delivery time email that should be sent, and when checking the delivery routing, found out it was out for delivery, and checked outside..... There it was! We have had a number of doorstep thefts of parcels in the area, and also a number of Hermes parcels that have been open on delivery in the area, consequently we are all a bit weary when it comes to Hermes delivering parcels - too many have gone missing!