2022 freebie loco

Bob-755718

I bagged a 2021 club loco from Ebay at a price well below membership price, stands alongside my similar Ebay club locos dated 2009,2012, seems I am alone in liking these locos, but they suit my area/period, and they blend in with my magnificent J50

OK, maybe i was wrong. The other day when I purchased, I'm certain it said there was a loco. But now that has been removed from the bullet points and the description.

I'll be really sad if they no longer her offer it in the membership, as that's the main reason we subscribed.

Will still take advantage of buying last year's seen as we've paid for the membership now.

I have been a member for a few years now and it was very good value. The magazines are extremely well produced and a very good read.

If as it appears, the Loco is no longer included, the membership price (IMO) should be reduced accordingly.

Or, it should be increased slightly to include the Loco.

It could be, as has been mentioned before that there are only so many 0-4-0 Rail Road locos most people want and when that point is reached they stop renewing their membership. Perhaps Hornby feel that the inclusion of a 10% discount provides a suitable replacement for the loco and that no deduction in membership fee is warranted.

I agree with Brew Man, if you buy the odd loco, Club membership is worthwhile. I joined the Club in 2007, and have a cupboard full of Hornby "freebie" loco's that have never been out of their boxes - I have given some away. I will not miss the free loco. It would be nice to see more than one Club Exclusive announced each year.

If the loco has gone from the membership benefits and has been replaced with the 10% discount & over £50 free postage it's not going to get me to renew. If it was 10% & Free postage then I could be persuaded. Club exclusives will pop up on internet sites & after a while the remaining stocks are sent to favoured dealers to liquidated the stock.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am disinclined to renew as the membership benefits do not seem to be worth it.i A 10% discount is often available on the open market admittedly without assured availability for the avid collector, the magazine then comes in at £7-50 with less content than the monthly issues and whilst 65 years ago I would proudly have worn the badge & lanyard to school they are no longer relevent. Whilst logically the freebie loco is in fact paid for in the membership fee; psychologically the concept of a gift is a strong incentive. If too many tank locos is an issue special edition rolling stock might pro vide an acceptable alternative as the wide range provides many opportunities for version in a special livery. If there was more detail of the promised club exclusivesitwould certainly reconsider but until then I shall wait & see.

Deskmonkey

It has been suggested elsewhere that the membership used to equate roughly to the cost of the free loco, well looking at the price of the railroad 0-4-0s they are now £12-20 more than the cost of membership, so if you go for the 0-4-0 the saving is still roughly the same as the membership? But you actually have to spend the extra £17.99 to get your £30 saving...

I'm not really interested in 0-4-0's but I do have Martello in LB&SCR umber (which cost me £27.50 thirty odd years ago according to the price label on the box), the question is do I want Martello in Southern green as well? And do I want it enough to join the club?

Just to offer an alternative viewpoint for Carltonf, I ran into a similar situation as a member of the blue-boxed manufacturer's collectors club. My memberships are generally aligned with the calendar year, Jan to Dec. After having my Hornby "Sir Tom" Class 66 cancelled here, Bachmann decided to offer their own version with Hurricane & Spitfire as a collectors club exclusive. As I recall delivery was expected before the end of the year.

However, production slipped as we all know production does and the product didn't become available for shipping until second quarter of the following year. For whatever reason my membership had lapsed and I contacted their club to ensure my order from the previous year was still in place and that I would be supplied. I was given the distinct impression that, as my membership wasn't currently active, my order couldn't be guaranteed. As I was going to renew anyway, and had somehow missed it earlier on, I got my membership back in line and the Class 66 pack was subsequently supplied.

My situation differs from Carltonf's in that the original delivery date for the Class 66 would have been comfortably within that membership year, had they met their schedule for it. Carltonf has placed his order with Hornby for the Black 5 with both parties knowing it's not to arrive until well after the 12 month current membership has expired. So, I agree with Bulleidboy that Carltonf is probably okay should he not renew his membership in subsequent years.

However, were it me, I think I would be making a polite enquiry with Hornby to see that this is, in fact, the case. I'd imagine this is going to be a relative common occurrence for many Hornby club members, given the long lead times for products these days. It would be nice to get some clarity around the situation for everyone's benefit and piece of mind.

HK.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well to be in the same position as last year, to get the club loco I have paid out a total of £47.14. That's £27 club membership Includes £3 discount, £16.19 for club loco includes a 10% discount plus £3.95 shipping for said loco.

That's a 57% increase on last year, Forget about the 10% discount on any further purchases and free shipping on over £50 and its completely outrageous.

• 3 months later...

Yes, there comes a time with Railroad 0-4-0s when enough is enough. I guess that's why they stopped offering them free with membership in favour of a 10% discount on all orders. I too have ordered the Martello Terrier, but have recently ordered another terrier which was on offer at £86 which, with the 10% discount worked out at £76. I agree though, it would be good to see more Club Exclusives.