2022 Club Model

Xango

I think the plan is that most renewals be done at the end of Jan and they will swap to teh Hawk at that point. They extended peoples membership until then and i think most joined back in July time a year ago so they due at the same time.

Hi is Alfie I have three things to say not in a mean way but the first thing is I joins the club an the plane what you get hasn’t arrived. Next is that you know the flight hours passport thing I didn’t get that with the calendar and the letter but I got the membership card with the other two. My third thing is I sent a I build because. So I just wanted to know what do you do with it.

From Alfie

Indeed, I believe the last price I enrolled for was £14.99, so that's close to a 50% increase, albeit with a kit that I wouldn't buy. That's the issue, the club is supplying a kit I wouldn't pay for, and the option is removed to enroll without it. I just used the last of my flying hours anyway so not an issue. Having looked though at what the club is offering for membership, makes you wonder what all the rumpus was about with them saying people have asked if it was worth the money. The answer is to increase the lowest price of joining it, and as far as I can see not much else. Cue the chorus of the usual suspects telling me I'm moaning about nothing and how Airfix is never wrong.

Indeed, I believe the last price I enrolled for was £14.99, so that's close to a 50% increase, albeit with a kit that I wouldn't buy. That's the issue, the club is supplying a kit I wouldn't pay for, and the option is removed to enroll without it. I just used the last of my flying hours anyway so not an issue. Having looked though at what the club is offering for membership, makes you wonder what all the rumpus was about with them saying people have asked if it was worth the money. The answer is to increase the lowest price of joining it, and as far as I can see not much else. Cue the chorus of the usual suspects telling me I'm moaning about nothing and how Airfix is never wrong.

I agree with you mate. Its also a no for me. Not interested in Hawks at all.

Just cashed in my flying hours and will spend the next 12 months putting my covid stash together as my work as an aeronautical engineer ramped up during the pandemic (ie no furlough/work from home for me)!

I agree with you mate. Its also a no for me. Not interested in Hawks at all.

Just cashed in my flying hours and will spend the next 12 months putting my covid stash together as my work as an aeronautical engineer ramped up during the pandemic (ie no furlough/work from home for me

A shame that the club is actively finding ways of reducing membership rather than increasing them, but I guess that's the current plan.

For me it's been two years almost exclusively building 1/35 afvs, (mostly German) which has made a nice Covid-collection. I have to say, the Academy kits that Airfix are selling in their 1/35 range are really nice, I can recommend the Tigers in particular, (together with a sheet of zimmerit Trumpeter sell as a plain A4 sheet that you cut to size). I wish I could say that I could get through my stash of kits in a year. What can I say, I can't resist a cheap kit :)

I will not be renewing this year. I do not require any more Hawks I have quite enough of them, so the £27 even with a 10% discount I never got on two armour orders leaves most disappointed with the whole club concept I don't want club magazines or calenders as I buy my Airfix model World from stationers when the articles are interesting enough to warrant the purchase so it is with regret "Your Fired!"

I will not be renewing this year. I do not require any more Hawks I have quite enough of them, so the £27 even with a 10% discount I never got on two armour orders leaves most disappointed with the whole club concept I don't want club magazines or calenders as I buy my Airfix model World from stationers when the articles are interesting enough to warrant the purchase so it is with regret "Your Fired!"

Careful now, as they said on Father Ted, your criticism has been termed trolling by someone who has clearly never been trolled in his life. Being critical isn't trolling. The guy has an opinion, he's made it, yet, as I said previously, never a critical remark on here that isn't disputed, and calling someone a troll is just unacceptable for someone who has moderate as part of their jobs-worth title.

Whilst I don't usually build anything except WW2 aircraft, I think the 2 x Hawks pack (plus the other Airfix Club benefits) represents really good VFM as the catalogued Hawks retail at £17.99 each. (Series 3 kits)

Who knows, maybe I'll get into post WW2 aircraft? :)

Apart from the keyring, there is nothing in that box that justifies £27+ for me. I will just collect my flying hours and re-join at a future date when the offerings are more to my liking.

2 Airfix BAe Hawk kits at £17.99 rrp each with a set of special decals at, say £5.99* = £41.97 (maybe Airfix cost price of kits, £12 each + decals = £29.99), plus a 'Club' exclusive year calendar, and hopefully three, maybe four, news-magazines during the year, and 10% discount on orders plus the savings in using the flying hours'

Yeah, not worth £27/£30 at all

So I renewed, cos I'm a fool

*sort of equivalent price of a sheet of special BAe Hawk decals from the big H

• 2 weeks later...