Forum moderators

Carltonf

@carltonf

You could have counted them yourself by looking for the Moderator tag under their name, but to save you the effort:

Hornby - 5

Scalextric - 1 was 2

Airfix - 3 was 4

Humbrol - part of the Airfix forum

Based upon forum activity across brands the balance is about right.

Volunteers were requested by Adam the original site Admin from his own short list of members. Some of those invited turned the offer down. Those who stand now are the originals.

The majority of the members seem to think the moderators are doing a decent job. This has been discussed in forum before. We apply the vague rules to the best of our ability given the tools made available. There is no assessment system other than our peers.

SK will not know the answers and then in knee jerk reaction will have to waste his time finding out.

He will no doubt ask his current IT team leader who incidentally is the fifth such appointment in few years since Adam the original Admin left. They rely upon their brand moderators to manage the forums as they are not hands on at that level.

It will be interesting to compare answers if they can give him any.

Please don’t accuse me of having no common courtesy 96RAF - I posted a new thread suggesting unfair treatment of a poster on the general discussion forum. My post was deleted with no contact made to explain why.

so I posted again asking moderator who deleted it to please message me. That too was deleted.

I will show reciprocal courtesy to anyone.

whilst the caveat says they reserve the right to remove content, it also says EVERY EFFORT will be made to contact the poster first.

To add to Roger's and Rob's replies.

There is no capability on this forum to contact members privately to explain moderator actions. The reference to "an effort being made to contact" is a historical left over from the old non-volunteer-moderated forum where Adam the nominated Hornby administrator had access to tools to send private mails. The new forum and moderator system does not give moderators that option. Much of the text on this new forum was copied over verbatim from the old forum by Hornby without any checks to validate it as still being accurate.

The "rules" are also in the process of being updated in another project. The original rules were overlooked in the transfer to the new forum and they will be updated in due course to reflect the current forum. We have no indication of timescale, but it was delayed due to the Christmas Sales period and 2022 product launch activities. As an when the new rules are published it should be clearer what is and what is not acceptable. The mods are applying the rules agreed with Hornby but currently unpublished.

Please don’t accuse me of having no common courtesy 96RAF - I posted a new thread suggesting unfair treatment of a poster on the general discussion forum. My post was deleted with no contact made to explain why.
so I posted again asking moderator who deleted it to please message me. That too was deleted.
I will show reciprocal courtesy to anyone.
whilst the caveat says they reserve the right to remove content, it also says EVERY EFFORT will be made to contact the poster first.

I have amended my response to you, but personally I still think you are wrong.

We have no access to personal details such as email so the mods cannot make direct contact with anyone.

The statement in the rules stems from the days when Adam the admin was the only person who could so do. This was initiated by the report system or by direct reference by the mods to admin of any forum malpractice. The rules as already stated are being rewritten to make them more clear.

“personally I still think you are wrong.” …

In what respect? In my wondering why my post was deleted? Or that I contacted Mr Kohler? I think I have every right, considering one of you deleted two of my posts today, without explanation, and it being in response to one of you deleting another post by someone else because you thought it trivial.

No, I don’t expect him to tell me how many moderators there are (and I still have no idea how you counted 5 - whilst I appreciate the moderator badge under a name, I am not sure where there is a list of all members?)

But I do expect him to have a view on volunteers having a direct influence on the reputation of the Hornby brand, and look forward to his response.

I understand and appreciate the role you moderators play, but when you are basing your decision making on your own pov, you’ve crossed a line,

why not really-instate the posts and let people read and comment if they like. There was nothing inflammatory or libellous in it. You were just irritated by the trivial nature.

‘You were just irritated by the trivial nature’

Myself and others were irritated by so called irrititating post that the moderators removed! In my opinion the mods done there jobs correctly. This is supposed to be a forum for model railways not a chat site for people to post questions that are in my opinion are detrimental to this forum.

My view is that the current moderators are doing an excellent job and the forum is much better for them doing it. As you can see, I’ve been around here long enough to have formed a soundly-based opinion on this, in fact long enough to have had a lot of experience with Adam. I turned down his offer to become a moderator myself due to the time involved.

How Chris finds the time to do anything but post and moderate on here I have no idea, but presumably he does eat, sleep and carry out his own projects as he is alive and well after many years on the forum and he reports his own projects from time to time. Similarly with Rob (RAF96) who not only posts and moderates but also puts in significant time as a Hornby beta tester on a whole range of things to all our benefits.

On the possibility we may be subject to their own personal POVs to our detriment, I think they have made it clear they are working to to a set of rules agreed with Hornby but as yet unpublished. I’m more than happy to live with their judgement on this in the interim. That includes in the past having posts deleted, although that was because the particular exchange they were contained in was deleted in toto.

A couple of the moderators here are first class.

Another couple constantly appear to have no patience for anyone who are an inch behind them in their own, perceived intelligence and I'm in absolutely no doubt that they are sometimes the reason people join, post and never post again.

If this was a privately owned website I'd never mention it, but it would be worth remembering that this is an official Hornby forum, and the lack of courtesy and indeed lack of patience often on display, in my opinion, reflects on Hornby.

My opinion is that ALL the moderators here are first class - willing to do a thankless task, for the benefit of all members, with only occasional expressions of gratitude (from members who post more than once!)

Without volunteers who actually care, Hornby might be able to employ someone (significantly less knowledgeable) to remove posts that are spam or contravene rules, or they might simply close the forum.

I cannot imagine any employee being able to providing even a fraction of the time, dedication and knowledge that volunteers do!

Most importantly (in my opinion) the differing interests, communication styles, and levels of patience with certain subjects - remind us that the moderators are real people and not merely an algorithm of a faceless corporation.

I’m sure that everybody would appreciate the new rules being published a.s.a.p. however, I’m certain that the moderators want it even more. Nobody enjoys enforcing unpublished rules, it simply causes confusion, however until managers/administrators allow it, those tasked with enforcing are left doing a difficult task with one hand tied behind their back!

• 2 weeks later...
Will, to each his/her own opinion, and we are all learn and are better off for respecting a range of opinions. And we all know that just the written word conveys different meanings to different people.
That said, I’m with LT&SR on this one.

Yes, indeed, but the oft inactivity of this forum speaks volumes.

Yes, indeed, but the oft inactivity of this forum speaks volumes.

There can be any number of reasons for the inactivity on any forum including

1] nothing much happening in the model world

2] the forum is dominated by a number of posters who seem to dominate and feel that their views are the only ones that count.

3] the attitude of some posters replies to new posters or other posters leaves a lot to be desired

4] posters not bothering to check things for themselves before posting

Having said that a forum used properly is a great idea BUT like everything a minority spoil it for the majority.

It does seem strange that Bachmann do not have a forum and seem to manage OK .

Unfortunately nowadays when a ot of purchases are made on line due to either the lack of local model shops and the quest to buy everything a next to nothing cost means that good sound advice given at the time of purchase is fast be coming a thing of the past. You cannot beat sound advice when making the first purchase especially in the world of model railways. i remember well the introduction of DCC and people thinking it would cure all their problems and be easy !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but what with being active on other forums of a similar kind, it doesn't take much to realise that the turnover of posts in here, compared to other forums, is like a poorly running 9F.

As I've outlined before, perhaps in no small part to the curtness and lack of patience displayed by those who should know better.

Hornby`s forum could do with a total revamp. There is no PMing as per other forums for one thing. We went through a period a few years ago when there were a lot of wind up postings on here. By that I mean people who posted a silly question once and were never heard from again. This has ceased, thank goodness .The other problem is that some people think that Hornby are the bees knees and are the last word in models. As for the moderators, they do a good job but should not be so aggressive in asserting forum rules to newcomers in some cases. This where private messaging comes in. They should also be anonymous .

It needs to be pointed out that Hornby made it quite clear that they do not want a "chat room" type of Forum by removing our "Off Topic" forum. That changed the Forum usage dramatically as we could no longer let topics drift off to other comments involving cars, planes, holidays etc and a bit of banter. So there is good reason why this Forum is now just for the purpose of directly answering member's queries in a business like fashion.

Accusations of curtness and lack of patience is ridiculous when the amount of knowledge displayed in some lengthy replies and research undertaken to get the OP's a satisfactory solution is obvious. So those of you who are just here to complain are irritating and spoiling the Forum which can get along successfully without you........HB

What an utterly bizarre response.

Rude responses and shortness of temper are commonplace here, and why that's relevant to the amount of information provided I have absolutely no idea.

Sometimes, just sometimes, people want to join a like-minded environment and post a question that yes, has been asked before.

Is that such a crime?*

Similarly, in the two years I've been here I've yet to come across anyone who has joined just to complain.

Perhaps you just don't like the feedback from those who see room from improvement on an official, manufactures forum.

Trust me, if this forum was privately owned and with reference to my own feedback, I couldn't give two hoots how it was run, badly or otherwise.

This, whether you care to admit it or not, reflects badly on Hornby.

Oh, and a 'business-like fashion' when children are apparently welcome?

Don't be so ridiculous.

*rhetorical.

Lengthy replies can be very useful, but sometimes they can be TOO long. The stickies at the start of the General Discussion section is a food idea. The point I think is that we do get a lot one off posters on here asking questions, sometimes they lead on to a good discussion with participation from the originator, but on several occasions they never bother to reply.This often upsets people and members loose interest because of this. What the answer is I don`t know. It makes me both annoyed and laugh when posters come on here and do nothing but moan, and complain. Often they don`t know the full story or we do not know the full story. If we had more local model shops we might nip some of the questions in the bud. I do not use the forum so much now as my interests have changed slightly and time.

I worked for 33 years in the model trade and some of the problems caused by not being given good advice at time of purchase was diabolical. The forums helped BUT a number of people quoted the Forums [not just Hornby`s] verbatim and would not listen to any other.

I do not always moan but feel strongly about certain things. If I said what I really think it might well cause a stink.

Keep modelling Keep well and Keep safe

I honestly can't fathom what the problem is with people coming here, posting a question and never returning.

If that's what they choose to do then so be it.

On one hand we have people saying we all have differing styles and, for example, moderators are real people etc., and yet people [people who have clearly been on the forum quite a while] then decree some posts are too trivial and not worthy of people's time!!!!

How dare they decide what is acceptable to post.

This, yet once again, is a Hornby forum.

Hornby.

It is plastered with an inference that it is welcome to one and all and should be welcoming to new users especially.

People should be falling over themselves to welcome new users because I tell you one thing; if prices keep increasing to the level they have been they will be no young ones taking up this wonderful hobby.

Imagine a young teen coming here, proud to have joined the forum and been told, after his first post, you've not done this, don't quote like that, this has been asked multiple times try a search.

It's utterly unacceptable and the clique here is unmissable.

There are ‘Hornby’ sites on other social media, one official Hornby page on Facebook and one which whilst looking official merely carries the name Hornby Model Railways.

if you want to see full and frank discussion head over there and note the difference twixt the two. The official Hornby site managed directly by Hornby puts up with no dross and untoward comments seem to disappear as has been mooted previously.

The unofficial site is policed by FB robots but I have yet to determine any admin control. It has its knowledgable contributors and those who do not have a clue but offer misleading advice anyhow, along with the Hornby true-blues and the Hornby knockers. All are welcome but the misleaders and whingers are soon put in their place by others.

Twitter, Instagram and Tik-Tok are similar.

At least on this forum the advice is solid and people are generally polite to each other.

Other ‘proper’ forums (as opposed to FB style chatter) are available with a dedicated Hornby section if you do not like this one.