What models do you build?

Ratch

As the title says: What models do you build? Are you an aircraft modeller? Or do you prefer ships, or cars, or figures, or armour, or spacecraft? Will you turn your hand to anything, or do you concentrate on a specific subject or genre? Do you have an on-going modelling project? Or are you not a builder but a collector?

Mainly aircraft - at the moment, all 1/72 scale, and principally WW2. Particularly interested in BoB era, and available display space precludes large heavy bombers, so mainly fighters. Also, I've tried to build all the types that are covered by the Airfix Magazine Guides of Fighters of WW2 (haven't done the Havoc yet...) and all the types that flew from RAF Warmwell (just down the road). That said, I've also had a go at AFVs, and lots of vehicles to enhance RAF airfield dioramas. No ships yet, but I've got a 1/600 HMS Belfast on the shelf awaiting my attention. So a fairly broad approach - I just enjoy the opportunity to sit quietly and concentrate; I also enjoy the opportunity to research the individual models and perhaps vary the decals - but I usually build out of the box. And lastly, I'm a 'returning modeller' - but thoroughly enjoying it after an almost 60 year break!

Hi all,

I build mainly 1/72 aircraft as well, with the occasional 1/48 thrown in as well. I do also sometimes model the occasional AFV in 1/72 for a change. When I was a teen in the 80's I was into table top wargaming and built lots of Matchbox and Airfix 1/76 vehicles.

For aircraft I like modelling WWII, any subjects, and also build around themes for more modern types, such as Vietnam, Falklands War, Korea etc.

I build 1:600 ships - particularly scratchbuilds of liners. However, I also buid 1/72 planes, tanks, spacecraft & airliners .....but I build these just for relaxations. I don't put too much effort into them. Most of my effort goes into the 1:600 ships.

I've got a few modelling strands I've wandered into and a stack of kits that will have to wait years until I retire.

As I enjoy the challenge of a complicated airbrush scheme, I started with Luftwaffe 1/48 fighters since there are many examples to choose from. Following some gentle teasing by a friend about only building German planes, I researched and discovered there are actually many schemes for British and Allied pilots that have added a lot of colour to my display shelves in the garage.

1/48 development of the Hawker Fury into the Hurricane (I, IIB, IIC, IID), into the Tempest, the Tornado and finally back into the Sea Fury.

WW2 night fighters in both 1/72 and 1/48. More accidental than planned - they're not all night black...

RAF post war fighters - 1/48 - Having completed my late war collection, building up the collection of jets that take us from Malaya to the current day. I've still got a few to go.

Finally, for a change, I built a couple of tanks during lockdown. The Allies seemed to be one paint colour scheme but the Tiger that I built has the whole varied paint job again. yum

The majority of my builds are WW2 aircraft (1/72 scale). My stash of these causes my wife angst as it is rather large now....

I have started to collect (and will build later) the aircraft that my father flew in/worked on during his time in the RAF 1958-1984. (1/72 scale again)

I have also started to collect WW2 tanks/vehicles in 1/35 scale, again, with the intention of building.

I build planes 1/32 from Zoukei-Mura or 1/24 from Airfix (the Hellcat F6F) I particularly appreciate the internal details that can be made visible with open access hatches and I don’t hesitate to cut half the fuselage and a wing if the interior is worth it! I like being able to release the engine on dolly if possible. An old model is more interesting for aging that is endless. In fact I do not finish them, when I get to the decals I have enough.. I look forward to the next Harrier 1/24 and hope there will be some interesting (ext & internal) details .

I can’t properly open inspection hatches when it’s not in the kit, building missing ribs as on the F6F is difficult. I lay some control cables in fine piano rope but it’s tricky

I build planes 1/32 from Zoukei-Mura or 1/24 from Airfix (the Hellcat F6F) I particularly appreciate the internal details that can be made visible with open access hatches and I don’t hesitate to cut half the fuselage and a wing if the interior is worth it! I like being able to release the engine on dolly if possible. An old model is more interesting for aging that is endless. In fact I do not finish them, when I get to the decals I have enough.. I look forward to the next Harrier 1/24 and hope there will be some interesting (ext & internal) details .
I can’t properly open inspection hatches when it’s not in the kit, building missing ribs as on the F6F is difficult. I lay some control cables in fine piano rope but it’s tricky

The Hawker/BAe Harrier GR1/3/AV-8A/FRS1 (best I can do to cover variants) contains a basic Pegasus engine, and engine top access hatch. I hope this helps you with planning a build.

I have a bit of a thing about 1940. It began as an interest in building models of aircraft that were flown in the Battle of Britain, and has spread to encompass - so far - every combatant country in North Western Europe from 1 January to 31 December 1940. When that rich vein runs out, assuming I don’t start off on collecting the neutral countries, I’m off to the Mediterranean and North Africa for a bit.

It has turned out to be an endlessly fascinating journey of discovery. I didn’t know Handley Page Heyfords and HP42 Heracles were still flying that year. I didn’t know the Belgian forces were flying imported Italian Fiat CR42s. I have been continually amazed by finding an aircraft type was operational in 1940, and then discovering a tiny manufacturer has produced a kit for it!

Although Airfix has helped my quest by making new tools of Blenheims, Beauforts and Wellingtons, most of my stash is from other sources. That’s why you rarely see my efforts appearing here. A quick scan over the stash shows only ten Airfix boxes, and they’re not currently high on the build list. One day, they will be.

• 4 months later...

Just browsing, I came across this question. I like building older Airfix kits. Older meaning before the current 'Red Box'. Aircraft and AFV subjects mainly, but warships too. Sometimes, HO/OO figures too.

I like a diversity of subjects, whatever takes my fancy I suppose. Recently, I rekindled an interest in the BAe Hawk and completed the 1/48 kit [which had warped wings to correct] as well as the initial 1/72 version.

The first 1/48 Junkers Ju87 'Stuka' is awaiting a follow up coat of RLM 70 following the RLM 65 under-surfaces. This is a nice kit, although surface detail is in the form of raised 'pimples' and lines. I don't mind this, as it makes a change from recessed panelling and sometimes seems to suit the subject being modelled.

HMS Repulse is nearly finished, with her uppers featuring multiple greys. And a Revell 1/570 HMS Prince of Wales accompanies her as she did when both were sunk off the east coast of British Malaya by the Imperial Japanese Navy on 10 December 1941. The difference in scales isn't that great and the two may be displayed together.

I like completing the Bolt Action figures too, in particular the Japanese infantry series. The range of finishes that can be applied is very broad from the uniforms of temperate regions, eg China contrasting strongly with those of the tropics and the Pacific islands, and rather than following paint guides slavishly the uniforms and indeed their condition offer huge potential for personal preferences within a general scheme.

Being a reader, I find that the subject of kit currently 'in progress' influences my reading and vice-versa. And this is one of the joys of being a modeller - the historical background provides a wealth of background information which might otherwise have escaped my notice!

• 1 month later...

As of now, I enjoy 1/72 military aircraft of all nations and eras, 1/350 Cold War and modern era submarines, 1/35 WWII armor, and 1/35 figures from WWII and the Vietnam War. Kind of all over the map with my interests.

I also hope to get off lurking on fora like this one or Britmodeller and start posing some completed builds!

Not sure if this should be a separate post but here goes.

I have been building ‘old mould’ aircraft for quite a while now. The reason is that I am still not happy with the end product, so don’t want to waste my poor performance on the latest Airfix models which I have been very impressed with. I do have a lot of these latest releases in storage, but haven’t plucked up courage to start one yet.

Does that strike a chord with anyone, it is it just me being frightened to take the plunge?