Painting error on the Wellington Bomber

I've just started the new Wellington Bomber build. Love the detail and quality of the casting. The problem I have is the paints.

I ordered the paints from the site as shown and only when the box arrived did I notice I also needed 70 (Brick Red).

Now I have the challenge, find out how to blend the shade or order the colour and wait.

Can the site be updated to list the correct set of paints required, please.

Hi,

Yes I've come up against this problem with a resin building I have purchased

There are very well known brand alternatives (unsure with forum rules if I can mention other brands) that could give you a really good alternative

I have purchased one and are now able to progress with my resin building

Good luck

I agree the website needs updating to stipulate what paints you need and what is out of stock or no longer available

I've just started the new Wellington Bomber build. Love the detail and quality of the casting. The problem I have is the paints.
I ordered the paints from the site as shown and only when the box arrived did I notice I also needed 70 (Brick Red).
Now I have the challenge, find out how to blend the shade or order the colour and wait.

Can the site be updated to list the correct set of paints required, please.

You can still get Humbrol No70

Have a look at the Humbrol Acrylic landscape set

It's the old screw cap pots, so can't guarantee if the paint will still be good

Cheers

Jay

The brick red is used for the doped fabric interior of the Wellington. I think painting it a neat brick-red is incorrect anyway, as the fabric was only doped on the exterior surface, and so there is plenty of natural colour linen to be seen when viewed from the inside at close range. I would suggest painting it with a lightened brick red, then applying patches of the darker neat colour, before painting the geodetics. Note that geodetics visible from the outside were painted black (usually, but not always)

The brick red is used for the doped fabric interior of the Wellington. I think painting it a neat brick-red is incorrect anyway, as the fabric was only doped on the exterior surface, and so there is plenty of natural colour linen to be seen when viewed from the inside at close range. I would suggest painting it with a lightened brick red, then applying patches of the darker neat colour, before painting the geodetics. Note that geodetics visible from the outside were painted black (usually, but not always)

This gives you an idea of what doped fabric looks like on the inside. These fabric samples were taken from the Shuttleworth Collections Avro Tutor.

forum_image_629cfc793b304.thumb.png.dd5acc9403587880e0015e225a61bbef.png

Thanks, that was what I was driving at. The fabric on the Wellington I saw was a little different, with more of the coloured dope bleeding through the fabric, but as in your pictures, a great deal of the natural fibre colour remained on the inside. I also have parts of Wellington geodetics, and in places the dope has gone clean through the linen and marked the alloy behind. I expect this occurred if pressure was used with the brush when it was applied, and whilst much of the linen could flex, where it was in front of the alloy members it could not, and therefore the dope went right through...

• 1 month later...
When I visited Brooklands many years ago I was shown a large piece of the fuselage fabric from the Wellington they were restoring at the time. It was painted black on the inside

I think it depends which part of the airframe where the fabric is from. Cockpits and areas that might be affected by searchlight glare were often finished in black.