Full forum rules (Essential reading for all users)

96RAF

Please note that the revised forum rules are now published in full on a separate page linked to from every forum page (see Forum Rules: Learn More > button).

Essentially these rules are those previously listed on the old forum but seen abridged on the new forum.

It is suggested that all members have a read of the new rules page to familiarise themselves with the full range of advice.

It is intended that new forum registrations will require a member to tick a box to confirm they have read and understood the rules as posted.

These rules may be amended at any time and such change will be advised by an update post on this forum.

Thank you.

Edit - please see further information ref the new Guidelines following.

• 1 year later...

Please be aware that when the forum switches over on Tuesday/Wednesday the rules will be slightly different and new registrations will have to agree to the rules before they can proceed. Further details soon.

I agree that it's sad that younger modellers cannot post although they can presumably still view others' posts for help when it's relevant to them. Maybe disabling direct messaging to and from those under 18 could be considered at some point in the future, though I'm guessing that this might still create difficulties for Hornby.

I hope that changing from rules to guidelines doesn't cause any issues.

• Like 2

It’s all very sensible. The forum is entirely public so modellers of any age should be able to access posts and hopefully if they had specific questions, an appropriate adult could do this on their behalf. This is a great resource that is provided by Hornby Hobbies and it important we continue to respect that and each other, we don’t all have to agree but manners are everything 😁

• Like 2

My reading of the rules generates a question. Does the current system of ranking members by number of posts and the reputation score discriminate against certain members?

If this is the case, then the rankings must be removed as they are in contravention of Rule 6.  XYZ

I wouldn’t have thought it was discriminatory, considering everyone has the free choice over how frugal/generous they wish to be with their thoughts/opinions!

(I doubt many would believe that it was discriminatory that all humans cannot run 100m in under 10 seconds.)

Discrimination is surely seeking to retain/exploit an unfair advantage - I don’t believe there is evidence of rank/reputation being exploited or abused currently?

I do believe that the current system appears fairly meaningless & I would strongly agree with anyone who sought its removal on the grounds of undervaluing worthwhile/helpful content vs proliferation.

It is true that the ranking system ranks you on quantity of posts and we have a choice of how much we post. Wether it gives us an advantage or not remains to be seen. If a useful post was given by a member at rank 10, (proficient) and a not so useful one given by a member at rank 14,(grand master) rather than listening to all the advice, people may go That person has a higher rank, so therefore their advice is better. It is not always the case and we are all really equals who share a common interest in our hobby. I was hoping that it could be read to break rule 6 because then it would have to be removed and I don't like the ranking system because of its elitist tendencies.

XYZ

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ModelerXYZ said:

It is true that the ranking system ranks you on quantity of posts and we have a choice of how much we post. Wether it gives us an advantage or not remains to be seen. If a useful post was given by a member at rank 10, (proficient) and a not so useful one given by a member at rank 14,(grand master) rather than listening to all the advice, people may go That person has a higher rank, so therefore their advice is better. It is not always the case and we are all really equals who share a common interest in our hobby. I was hoping that it could be read to break rule 6 because then it would have to be removed and I don't like the ranking system because of its elitist tendencies.

XYZ

I completely agree with every word of this post! 👍

Does anyone really care? If the post has information another member feels is relevant then that’s how they will take it. Personally I think it’s completely unnecessary and dumbs people down, the same as handing badges out… but it’s an American Platform so we have to accept it’s driven by their experiences in life. Ironically some of the most interesting and intellectual people I have ever met were from North Americas, stupid doesn’t get you to the moon and back. In the meantime just ignore the silly icons and business as usual 👍

• Thanks 1

Totally agree @Rallymatt that those who find it meaningless can simply ignore it. 👍

I also agree with @ModelerXYZ that it could potentially cause a difficulty for the unwary… I remember when I was a newbie, looking for & giving greater credence to the Mod badges - I just don’t like the idea of new system confusing/complicating that!

Regular users know how to tell the difference - but it’s less clear now Mods no longer have their title badge!

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Clarity
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LTSR_NSE said:

but it’s less clear now Mods no longer have their title badge!

Top right of our avatar is the sheriffs badge. 🛡️
Each brand badge being a different colour.
We are also labelled by group.

• 2 weeks later...